- - - - -

Boxing Day Deals - or Not

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 01:45 PM

Those Boxing Day promotions are often pretty lame.

I subscribe to a rather niche online store that specializes in AV equipment and just have to laugh at their 10% off site-wide Boxing Week promotion - with SOME restrictions/exclusions.  Take a look at their email promotion and then the exclusions page.   :lol:

It reminds me of this classic clip from the movie The Jerk where Steve is describing what a contestant can win...

https://youtu.be/aUQkbXWwJhQ

AVShop 1.jpg

AVShop 2.jpg

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

Untitled-1.jpg

• Lorenzo and todd like this

#3 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:01 PM

This is the first year I bought nothing. Sales were mostly just the same or worse as Black Friday or even other prices it had through the year on everything I was tracking.

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:02 PM

receivers

tuners

amplifiers

turntables

cartridges

speakers

who even buys all that stuff now?  i for one was a "receiver" guy.  never felt the need to have the tuner and amp combo.  then some jackolantern decided you need more than the "bass and treble knobs" and at some point an eq was born.

Vintage-1980s-Pioneer-SG-550-Graphic-Equ

but what do you even buy to play music now?  it seems to me those bluetooth speakers are all you need.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 December 2019 - 02:06 PM.

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:03 PM

Isn't it more like Boxing Day week these days? Never could be bothered myself. This is the week for family, friends and relaxing. Can't imagine why anyone would want to brave the 'mall mayhem' after just going through it prior to Christmas, but that's me.

• mbjj likes this

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:08 PM

i mean what are we doing here?  flying to the moon with this equipment or just trying to listen to some loud michael jackson?

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 December 2019 - 02:09 PM.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 December 2019 - 04:05 PM

Black Friday and online shopping stole the show. 

I remember before Black Friday was a thing, Christmas morning the streets would be silent, Boxing day would be a frenzy.  Waking up this morning listening to traffic, it was almost as quiet as it was yesterday.

Mayfair Mall looked busy from the parking lot, Best Buy at Uptown had long lines but I wasn't wading through thick crowds like years prior.  Costco was nearly dead as it usually is on Boxing Day and Canadian Tire lineups were... nonexistent.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:22 PM

Uh, I think you missed the Pro in the A/V Superstore description.  They don't sell HiFi gear they pro audio/video, stuff like stage lighting, trusses, DJ gear, mixers, video gear.  I mainly follow them for their video gear.  https://www.avshop.ca/

But since you posted that cool HiFi ad from 1979, I noted those JBL L300 speakers for $1,299.95 each.  A Boxing Day bargain, as a pair of those were listed for sale in 2016 for $6,156.47  https://reverb.com/i...l-united-states

Yeah, HiFi equipment, those were the days.  Big speakers, big amps, separates if you were really high-end, vacuum tubes if you were kinda nuts.  The VV spell checker doesn't even know what HiFi is, it suggests replacing it with WiFi instead.  Sign of the times...

xcxw6edac8uftypmnm6v.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 26 December 2019 - 07:34 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:39 PM

Mouat’s Home Hardware in Ganges had a heckin 50% store wide sale today. This boggles my mind. I was at work all day so don’t know how the crowds were, but wtf? I struggle to believe this was even real. My friend Christian sent me this photo.

Matt.

F732EAB4-A744-4F42-995E-0A3BE3EC30F6.jpeg

#10 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

Isn't it more like Boxing Day week these days? Never could be bothered myself. This is the week for family, friends and relaxing. Can't imagine why anyone would want to brave the 'mall mayhem' after just going through it prior to Christmas, but that's me.

I agree! It's only the last thirty years or so stores have even been open. It was so peaceful before that. Everything was closed and people could just relax. There's no way I would ever set foot near a mall on Boxing Day.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#11 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:56 PM

Yup back in the day Boxing Day was all about family and friends visiting other family and friends - usually with a healthy amount of drinking to boot, and a good time was had by all. Then naturally some smart marketing whiz got the idea into his or her head to squeeze even more $ out of the sheeple by advertising blowout sales, mostly on items we don't actually need.

Shame really IMO: we collectively blather on about saving the planet and being expeditious about its resources and yet we now spend obnoxious and obscene amounts of dough on yet more "stuff", all in the name of scoring an irresistible 'deal'....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 27 December 2019 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users