COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#21181 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:33 AM

El Salvador begins promoting a healthy lifestyle and weight loss as the ideal way to combat Covid. It could well be the first country in the world to do so, and deserves praise.

Credit where credit’s due. We’re often super critical about the government of Nayib Bukele in El Salvador, but when they get it right, we’ll say so.

And this week, Bukele’s government got it spot on by becoming the first country in Central America to begin actively pushing and promoting a healthy lifestyle as a way to combat Covid. Did I say first country in Central America? El Salvador could be the first country in the world to take such a stance.

It’s certainly not happening in the United States, Canada, or Europe, let alone elsewhere in Central America. Which is, quite frankly, criminal.

https://www.centrala...to-fight-covid/

• Ismo07 and m3m like this

#21182 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:39 AM

El Salvador begins promoting a healthy lifestyle and weight loss as the ideal way to combat Covid. It could well be the first country in the world to do so, and deserves praise.

Credit where credit’s due. We’re often super critical about the government of Nayib Bukele in El Salvador, but when they get it right, we’ll say so.

And this week, Bukele’s government got it spot on by becoming the first country in Central America to begin actively pushing and promoting a healthy lifestyle as a way to combat Covid. Did I say first country in Central America? El Salvador could be the first country in the world to take such a stance.

It’s certainly not happening in the United States, Canada, or Europe, let alone elsewhere in Central America. Which is, quite frankly, criminal.

Time to bring in a team.

hal_johnson_and_joanne_mcleod_were_the_f

• Matt R. and dasmo like this

#21183 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:40 AM

It’s interesting he has not had a top-10 song since 1995. And his only #1 in 1971. While it might be a huge loss for his record company, are they spending any money promoting those songs today?

but nobody is making new music now https://www.theatlan...w-music/621339/

#21184 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:49 AM

but nobody is making new music now https://www.theatlan...w-music/621339/

That's an interesting article.

But also consider that in 1996 it was very hard to know what people were listening to.  Back then, people were still listening to their own previously purchased records and cassettes and CDs.  Lots.  But we could not measure.

Now as more and more stream we can actually see more clearly what people are listening to.

The other thing is, the older music catalog gets bigger every year.  Sure we listen to lots of 80s music but do we TODAY listen to more a specific year - say 1983 - than we do 2022?  Probably not.  But the article posits 2022 vs. all of the 80's or 90s.

It's also easier than ever to listen to the individual hit singles of the past - without having to put on the whole record. That makes a huge difference.  But even then, a Duran Duran song that was never a hit single is not getting more play today than a similar non-hit song from The Weeknd's latest album.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2022 - 10:58 AM.

#21185 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:04 AM

How much of Rogan's podcast is focused on the vaccine? Like .02%?

That doesn't really matter in my opinion. The overriding narrative to be selfish and screw public health that Rogan broadcasts is what matters.

#21186 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:06 AM

The overriding narrative to be selfish and screw public health that Rogan broadcasts is what matters.

He had Sanjay Gupta on the show a few weeks ago.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2022 - 11:07 AM.

#21187 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:10 AM

He had Sanjay Gupta on the show a few weeks ago.

Colbert occasionally has Republicans as guests. That doesn't make his show any less left-leaning.

#21188 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:16 AM

Colbert occasionally has Republicans as guests. That doesn't make his show any less left-leaning.

Which?

https://en.wikipedia...olbert_episodes

Lol.  70% of Rogan's non-MMA guest are leftists too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2022 - 11:17 AM.

#21189 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:28 AM

That doesn't really matter in my opinion. The overriding narrative to be selfish and screw public health that Rogan broadcasts is what matters.

That is your opinion which you certainly feel you have the right to express. Right? But you seem to feel that no one has the right to express a different one? 

#21190 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:32 AM

Live feed of the convoy passing by. Warning opinions expressed may be different than yours and different than mine and different than the approved one. I don't represent any of the views expressed by others in this feed.... useful to see since the media doesn't like to show the raw data.... 

https://youtu.be/ZvwRXDV6y8s

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#21191 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:34 AM

Sweden has decided against recommending COVID vaccines for kids aged 5-11, the Health Agency said on Thursday, arguing that the benefits did not outweigh the risks.

"With the knowledge we have today, with a low risk for serious disease for kids, we don't see any clear benefit with vaccinating them," Health Agency official Britta Bjorkholm told a news conference.

https://www.ctvnews....-5-12-1.5756719

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2022 - 11:35 AM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#21192 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:07 PM

Most coronavirus restrictions including mandatory face masks were lifted in England on Thursday, after Britain's government said its vaccine booster rollout successfully reduced serious illness and COVID-19 hospitalizations.

From Thursday, face coverings are no longer required by law anywhere in England, and a legal requirement for COVID passes for entry into nightclubs and other large venues has been scrapped.

The government last week dropped its advice for people to work from home, as well as guidance for face coverings in classrooms.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6329356

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2022 - 12:07 PM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#21193 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:25 PM

Love this and countries spend many $$$s in trying to improve health among their peoples to varying degrees of success.  Obviously health would help against many ailments and reduce the impact on hospitals in so many ways.  Not sure about flipping a switch and saying hey 2 years in to a world pandemic, we should all get more healthy to combat it.  This is just something that should be pushed for the rest of time, not being the first to say we are doing it to battle Covid specifically..  Does every country get to promote health to battle certain viruses and/or prevent certain diseases?  I recall Canada promoted health to prevent heart disease but not sure we were first.  I volunteer to go to El Salvador for 6 months to study the success of this though.

• m3m likes this

#21194 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:42 PM

I'm not really a huge fan of Young's catalogue.

But is sure as hell irks me that Spotify has decided that profiting off the back of misinformation that can extend this pandemic is the best way forward. I certainly don't want to be part of that. I've had enough of this pandemic, thank you.

Which multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporate conglomerate will get your streaming money now?

The one with this guy on its platform? Or the one with this guy on its platform?  :banana:

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21195 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:53 PM

Is there a third choice? Which one is Alex Jones on?

#21196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:55 PM

Spotify.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21197 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:05 PM

We have an incredibly weak leader in Justin Trudeau, I think we all deserve better.

In what will be the biggest test of his leadership to date, he has retreated into hiding. 

TFord 

• LJ, phx, dasmo and 1 other like this

#21198 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:16 PM

We have an incredibly weak leader in Justin Trudeau, I think we all deserve better.

In what will be the biggest test of his leadership to date, he has retreated into hiding. 

TFord 

He'll have to come out...  This protest will not last a couple days, they will hunker in for at least a week.  Especially if they know J.T. can come out in 5 days...  I'm not sure what they are hoping for in the end.  This will do very little to change policy.  Like most protests, not much will come out of it but more frustration.  Already the wing nuts are suggesting violence and smashing through walls with trucks.

#21199 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure what they are hoping for in the end.  This will do very little to change policy.  Like most protests, not much will come out of it but more frustration.  Already the wing nuts are suggesting violence and smashing through walls with trucks.

I agree.  Reminds me of the native train blockades a year or two back.  Waste of time.

#21200 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:44 PM

Oh oh. Lord Musk has given his blessing to the trucker convoy.

I guess a bunch of Teslas are about to hit dealer lots.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users