Photo

COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#4661 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:15 PM

I just don’t think there’s enough for people to do in their workplaces, though.

So you open up that IT office. What are the staff to do when their clients have paused their contracts or cancelled them, and new clients are in a holding pattern?

A lot of offices have exited / broken their leases assuming everyone was going to be working from home for several months and another month or two at the end finding new space isn’t a big deal. They won’t move back in until there is certainly this is over.
  • Mike K. likes this

#4662 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:06 PM

Oh look, the founding members of the VV America Is #1 club have arrived.

Seriously guys, why does every thread you get involved with deteriorate into Trump and the US. Is your faith in your master so little that you need to hijack every thread around here to pump his tires?

Not that I’m responding to the above statements directly, but consider the reality of the global situation in light of US global policy since 2016:

If you break down the individual responses of countries around the world, they are engaging in peculiarly Trump-like protectionist and nationalist practices.

Look at the EU. Closed borders, with protectionism and nationalism at the forefront of social and political issues. The continent is fragmented, completely, and Brussels is helpless to stop the forces of change that are more reminiscent of 1995 than 2019. Member states are individualistic in their outlooks and concerned about their own welfare amid escalating issues only across a border, or two. If this is reminiscent of a certain North American political agenda, you’re not far off.

Even Canada has closed its borders to an extent we’ve never experienced and has embarked on a nationalist agenda to produce materials for Canadians, as reliance on imports has proven to be a weakness brought upon by nationalist agendas elsewhere (never mind 3M, supply chain worries go much deeper).

Globalism has proven to be a a challenge in 2020, with more viable solutions to the myriad of problems occurring at the local level, than at the international level. And fundamentally, at the policy level, individual nations are employing their own America First agendas in a desperate attempt to maintain economic viability amid social pressures not seen since the Second World War.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4663 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:23 PM

...now the virus has killed this guy...

https://www.youtube....h?v=RfwGkplB_sY

#4664 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:40 PM

John Prine.

Here's the definitive list of notable people who died of the virus:

https://www.nytimes....irus-obituaries

#4665 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:46 PM

https://thehill.com/...ne-for-recovery

African American Michigan Democratic state Rep. Karen Whitsett credited hydroxychloroquine and President Trump for her speedy recovery from COVID-19

#4666 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:51 PM

In consultation with a doctor, sure. I would try it if my doc said so. 

But Trump implied you just go to the pharmacy and get it. And if you take it beforehand it'll keep the virus away. 

It's the used car salesman in him. He can't help it. That '03 Sunfire? It gets 78 mpg and can do 200 mph in six seconds. I mean, it's incredible! Fantastic!

• Brayvehart likes this

#4667 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:02 PM

https://thehill.com/...ne-for-recovery

African American Michigan Democratic state Rep. Karen Whitsett credited hydroxychloroquine and President Trump for her speedy recovery from COVID-19

The plural of anecdote is not data.

• Bernard likes this

#4668 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:21 AM

i Think many companies can scale up a bit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2020 - 01:22 AM.

#4669 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:34 AM

John Prine.

yes. now he was 73 and had previous lung cancer surgery. and another throat cancer.

#4670 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:38 AM

John Prine.

Hello in there - sad

• Mike K. likes this

#4671 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:43 AM

In consultation with a doctor, sure. I would try it if my doc said so.

But Trump implied you just go to the pharmacy and get it. And if you take it beforehand it'll keep the virus away.

It's the used car salesman in him. He can't help it. That '03 Sunfire? It gets 78 mpg and can do 200 mph in six seconds. I mean, it's incredible! Fantastic!

Siegel said his father, who lives in Florida, recently complained about weakness, shortness of breath and feared that he was going to die.

Siegel said that his father’s cardiologist prescribed hydroxychloroquine and antibiotics and the combination proved effective.

"He got up the next day and was fine,” Siegel said.

https://www.foxnews....roxychloroquine

#4672 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:45 AM

Not that I’m responding to the above statements directly, but consider the reality of the global situation in light of US global policy since 2016:

If you break down the individual responses of countries around the world, they are engaging in peculiarly Trump-like protectionist and nationalist practices.

Look at the EU. Closed borders, with protectionism and nationalism at the forefront of social and political issues. The continent is fragmented, completely, and Brussels is helpless to stop the forces of change that are more reminiscent of 1995 than 2019. Member states are individualistic in their outlooks and concerned about their own welfare amid escalating issues only across a border, or two. If this is reminiscent of a certain North American political agenda, you’re not far off.

Even Canada has closed its borders to an extent we’ve never experienced and has embarked on a nationalist agenda to produce materials for Canadians, as reliance on imports has proven to be a weakness brought upon by nationalist agendas elsewhere (never mind 3M, supply chain worries go much deeper).

Globalism has proven to be a a challenge in 2020, with more viable solutions to the myriad of problems occurring at the local level, than at the international level. And fundamentally, at the policy level, individual nations are employing their own America First agendas in a desperate attempt to maintain economic viability amid social pressures not seen since the Second World War.

the eu is bickering a bit about a bailout with northern states not so keen to mutualize the repayment when the southern states (Spain and Italy) will use so much of it.

#4673 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:24 AM

Tucker: Experts can't predict when coronavirus pandemic will end

video:  https://youtu.be/VdK77bhAwO0

it really shows you how all the models are incorrect.  nobody can really predict this thing.  the much-heralded IHME reports consistently get it all wrong.

tucker also reports new york pneumonia deaths have taken a sharp decline compared to last year.  so perhaps those deaths that would have happened have just been labelled COVID.

even after all the panic in the last three weeks turns out new york has more beds and ventilators than it needs.

testing in new york is nearly double what we have in canada.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2020 - 03:49 AM.

#4674 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:39 AM

I just don’t think there’s enough for people to do in their workplaces, though.

So you open up that IT office. What are the staff to do when their clients have paused their contracts or cancelled them, and new clients are in a holding pattern?

smart companies are already finding out how to work around the shut-down guidelines (work from home etc.) and are now seeking other business opportunities.  that's how business works. 

canadian tire is not going to stay shut like they are and let walmart take all their market share.  just watch.

particularly in the usa where some (mostly republican) states will ease back restrictions and then others will be on the outside looking in as their lose market share and businesses to others.  that's the beauty of the free market system.  and why business will drive the re-opening.

here is trump extended live with hannity last night:  https://youtu.be/OYjsF-3XkF4

37 minutes one-on-one.  directly answering dozens of questions. 

has our prime minister even answered directly more than 2% or 3% of the questions he has been asked?

The number of COVID-19 tests completed in Ontario each day has dwindled steadily over the past week, raising concerns that the province is missing cases of the illness and failing to capture the true spread of the novel coronavirus. 

Data from the Ministry of Health shows there were just 2,568 new test results provided on Tuesday. That's roughly half the daily target of 5,000 that the government promised to achieve in late March, and far short of the 19,000 tests per day promised for the third week of April. 

To best combat the spread of COVID-19, experts in public health and epidemiology say Ontario needs to be testing more rather than less. 

Ontario is testing a smaller portion of its population than anywhere else in Canada. Quebec, B.C. and Alberta are each testing at double the province's rate. 

The reason for the shortfall appears to be that Ontario continues to restrict who gets tested, by recommending against testing people who have not recently travelled internationally, even if they have symptoms of COVID-19.   

https://www.cbc.ca/n...mbing-1.5525490

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2020 - 03:49 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#4675 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:53 AM

COVID knocks a man over and kills him with head blow.

https://www.lehighva...m-covid-19.html

The state’s second death was announced Saturday in Allegheny County. Another was announced Sunday in Montgomery County.

A 61-year-old Warren County man who tested positive for COVID-19 died Friday at St. Luke’s Hospital in Fountain Hill, according to Lehigh County Coroner Eric Minnich. He said the primary cause of the man’s death was a head injury from a fall at home, but that the virus was listed as a contributing factor to his death.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2020 - 03:54 AM.

#4676 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:43 AM

canadian tire is not going to stay shut like they are and let walmart take all their market share.  just watch.

I needed a new set of grills for the BBQ. Mine were rusty. Went online and found the ones I needed at Canadian Tire Royal Oak.

I placed the order and chose "curbside pickup".

They emailed me with a pickup number and I drove to one of the dedicated parking stalls and called the phone number, gave them my pickup number and opened the rear hatch.

The clerk came out and tossed them in the back, closed the hatch and I was on my way.

Priceless.  (We used a sweet chili sauce on the chicken wings and they were good too)

• Mike K., Ismo07 and lanforod like this

#4677 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:22 AM

Who can save us from disease and despair in these harrowing times? Why, none other than Martin Shkreli, of course.

Yes, the widely despised ex-pharmaceutical executive currently serving a seven-year federal prison term for fraud is, in fact, humanity’s One True Savior... if only we’d let him out of jail for a few months.

In a brief document posted online this week, Shkreli and a small band of associates lay out scientific plans to develop a cure for COVID-19.

Numerous other drug developers—ones who are not in the slammer—are also working on treatments and vaccines to fight COVID-19. But those response efforts are “inadequate,” Shkreli argues. And he alone is qualified to get the job done right.

“I am one of the few executives experienced in ALL aspects of drug development from molecule creation and hypothesis generation, to preclinical assessments and clinical trial design/target engagement demonstration, and manufacturing/synthesis and global logistics and deployment of medicines,” he writes in a note at the end of the document.

https://arstechnica....-cure-covid-19/

#4678 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:42 AM

it really shows you how all the models are incorrect.

The purpose of modeling isn’t to show when it will end...the purpose of modeling is to show how it will progress with or without certain levels of intervention. Models are used to inform decision making, not to say when this will end.

#4679 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:44 AM

The purpose of modeling isn’t to show when it will end...the purpose of modeling is to show how it will progress with or without certain levels of intervention. Models are used to inform decision making, not to say when this will end.

True but ultimately the decision to lift restrictions is going to be based on some forecast unless the plan is to wait until there are no more infections and/or a vaccine is found and everyone vaccinated. 

#4680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:48 AM

both the models are all wrong so far.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users