Photo

COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#6821 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

What the actual **** is going on in the USA. It’s unbelievable.
Matt.

It’s pretty believable.
  • Redd42 likes this

#6822 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:20 PM

We can just go ahead and extend the border closure a few more months I think.

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#6823 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:22 PM

We can just go ahead and extend the border closure a few more months I think.

I want to go back to Hawaii at some point. I wish they would smarten up.

Matt.
  • lanforod and todd like this

#6824 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:25 PM

I want to go back to Hawaii at some point. I wish they would smarten up.
Matt.

I’d try and book Tofino if I were you.

#6825 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

A young couple of my acquaintance are in BC attending university. They have lived on the mainland for a year, however their car bears a license plate from a US state well-known to us as a "hotspot". Being of no permanent address they are unable to get new BC plates. I was distressed to hear of the harassment they received when people spotted their taboo license plate so I attached an old BC plate atop theirs with a couple of elastic bands so at least while the car is parked in the driveway it will not attract unwanted attention from the self-righteous pitchfork crowd.

Meanwhile, I was at Costco today and little more than half the customers were wearing masks despite the fact STAFF WERE HANDING OUT FREE MASKS AT THE DOOR.

• todd likes this

#6826 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:36 PM

They don’t need to switch their plates if they’re here to study, permanent address or not.

But why shouldn’t they be judged by their plate if you judge people by their decision to wear a mask, or not? If you’re not sick, and you’re living in a region with only one case of COVID, the risk level is extremely low that you’ll spread the disease by not wearing a mask.
  • jsan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6827 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:00 PM

^I am certain you intended to express logic in that statement but unfortunately I am incapable of locating it.

• gstc84, lanforod and Brayvehart like this

#6828 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:06 PM

^I am certain you intended to express logic in that statement but unfortunately I am incapable of locating it.

Ah, you must be a Liberal. The logic is clear as day to a rational person... 

#6829 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:10 PM

The majority of Victorians don't wear masks, and for about two months their government expressly reminded/asked them them not to wear masks, and that was during the height of the COVID outbreak in Canada.

Costco also doesn't care if their customers wear a mask or not, but they make them available should a customer wish to use one. I know that because I was just there and I asked:

"Is it mandatory?"

"Nope, not at all, but you can take one if you like."

• jsan and Wayne like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6830 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:40 PM

...and for about two months their government expressly reminded/asked them them not to wear masks, and that was during the height of the COVID outbreak in Canada.

The world's foremost medical experts also recommended bloodletting to cure most diseases. Do you have a point?

Ah, you must be a Liberal. The logic is clear as day to a rational person... 

Nice try.

• Brayvehart likes this

#6831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

Are you high? You must be high. :muching_out:

• todd likes this

Know it all.

#6832 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:01 PM

From the BC CDC:

Wearing a mask if you are healthy

If you are healthy, wearing a non-medical or cloth mask or face covering is a matter of personal choice and it might help to protect others. This is because some people can spread the virus when they have very mild symptoms or may not know that they are infected. In this case, wearing a mask can help protect others by containing your own droplets when talking, laughing, singing, coughing, or sneezing. Wearing a cloth mask might not protect you from COVID-19, but it is a good option in situations where you cannot keep a safe distance from others for an extended period of time, such as when you are on transit, getting a haircut or visiting someone indoors. - http://www.bccdc.ca/...ion-risks/masks

Can’t ridicule people with American plates from known hot spots, but you can mock and belittle your own neighbours who follow provincial advice and use their better judgement as members of a free society that has done so well during COVID that only one known case is on the entire island of nearly a million people.

Know it all.

#6833 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:25 PM

^How do you explain what's happening in Texas and Arizona at this hour?

Just because BC stops short of ordering mandatory mask-wearing doesn't mean they have no value. The consensus seems to be if everyone wore a mask the virus would extinguish itself within weeks.

I was going to ridicule your reading comprehension skills until I realized we went to the same high school.

• Brayvehart likes this

#6834 Lost password

Lost password
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

A personal observation on Face Masks. A maintenance person in my building, removed his mask and complained of it and the gloves he was wearing. \

OK..well sir whatever your gloves touched prior to our encounter is now on your mask as you replaced it on our departure. Gloves and Masks are Strange Bedfellows!

#6835 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:31 PM

Just because BC stops short of ordering mandatory mask-wearing doesn't mean they have no value. The consensus seems to be if everyone wore a mask the virus would extinguish itself within weeks.

I was going to ridicule your reading comprehension skills until I realized we went to the same high school.

Everyone knows Esquimalt’s literary program improved tenfold starting in 1996.

Anyhoo, the CDC is a pretty good source for information. Their advice seems pretty straightforward and reasonable.

Know it all.

#6836 Lost password

Lost password
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:36 PM

I believe being named after a Left Handed Octupus is quite A-OK after her  Left Handed Party!

New Zealand and Taiwan, same info available at the time...so Low Deaths.

Horgan, Turdeau, Tam et al have a lot to answer for. 

PS..To the maker of the Job well done charts showing BC and Aus and NZ...fer ****s sake expand the scale and cut out the BS to the mindless masses.. so Digusting you think we, the unwashed masses are so Guillibe...**** You Civil Not Servant!

Edited by Lost password, 27 June 2020 - 08:38 PM.

#6837 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:50 AM

Saturday's 506 national death count via @COVID19Tracking is the lowest Saturday total since March 21.

even as/if new cases go up (mostly because of more testing) deaths continue to decrease because we both know how to better treat cases but mostly because the most vulnerable know how to avoid it.  and we know how to keep it out of care homes where most of the deaths originally were.

so it's absolutely incorrect to automatically assume a growth in new case today creates a directly corresponding number of new deaths down the line.  that chart has changed drastically over the past 90 days.  for the better.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2020 - 03:00 AM.

• jsan likes this

#6838 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:33 AM

The decreasing death rate is really good news. But I believe your thinking is outdated. It's not a binary situation, not a zero sum game of either you die or get better. We are only now understanding the effects on the brain and lungs and heart. Like when you hear a car accident victim having "non life-threatening injuries" and you think, oh, that's good, but it still could be life-altering; some of these Covid victims that would have died two months ago are surviving but with diminished lung capacity and minor cognitive impairments.

• Brayvehart likes this

#6839 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:50 AM

then they should stay out of harms way. socializing in public is only for the healthy from now until further notice.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2020 - 05:51 AM.

#6840 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:55 AM

^I hope you recover from the stroke you just suffered typing out that sentence.

Thing is, we don't know how it affects people, we can't define "healthy". That lady that breezed through the 1918 flu and Covid contrasts with the relatively young and healthy people dying from it. You just never know. Middle-aged guys like us, it's a toss up, wouldn't you agree?

• Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users