COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#8241 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:26 AM

Parents send student to school while knowingly infected with coronavirus, mayor says

By Taylor Romine and Madeline Holcombe, CNN

Updated 7:00 AM ET, Thu September 17, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/...trnd/index.html

Edited by VIResident, 17 September 2020 - 08:26 AM.

#8242 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:29 AM

Research has also demonstrated the link between social relationships and many different aspects of health and wellness.

Poor social support has been linked to depression and loneliness and has been shown to alter brain function and increase the risk of the following:

Alcohol use
Cardiovascular disease
Depression
Suicide

https://www.verywell...-health-4119970

#8243 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:32 AM

Parents send student to school while knowingly infected with coronavirus, mayor says

By Taylor Romine and Madeline Holcombe, CNN

Updated 7:00 AM ET, Thu September 17, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/...trnd/index.html

I don't recommend sending your kids to school at all if you can engineer it. 

Just listen to Sir Ken Robinson on the mater (RIP)

https://www.forbes.c...n/#7296f9555253

Edited by dasmo, 17 September 2020 - 08:38 AM.

#8244 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

“Face masks should be used only by individuals who have symptoms of respiratory infection such as coughing, sneezing, or, in some cases, fever. Face masks should also be worn by healthcare workers, by individuals who are taking care of or are in close contact with people who have respiratory infections, or otherwise as directed by a doctor. Face masks should not be worn by healthy individuals to protect themselves from acquiring respiratory infection because there is no evidence to suggest that face masks worn by healthy individuals are effective in preventing people from becoming ill. Face masks should be reserved for those who need them because masks can be in short supply during periods of widespread respiratory infection. Because N95 respirators require special fit testing, they are not recommended for use by the general public.”

https://jamanetwork....rticle/2762694)

#8245 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

“None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.” (bin-Reza F et al. The use of mask and respirators to prevent transmission of influenza: A systematic review of the scientific evidence. Resp Viruses 2012;6(4):257-67. https://www.ncbi.nlm...es/PMC5779801/)

#8246 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:53 AM

This guy seems to explain masks simply..  End of the day let people wear them if they want.  If you don't want to go somewhere where they ask you to wear a mask, then don't go.  This doesn't have to be a fight.  I wear a mask for haircuts and an eye test because I want the service.  Why the need to convince people not to?

https://www.youtube....N7XFyOOY&t=818s

Edited by Ismo07, 17 September 2020 - 08:53 AM.

• Brayvehart and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#8247 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:29 AM

This guy seems to explain masks simply..  End of the day let people wear them if they want.  If you don't want to go somewhere where they ask you to wear a mask, then don't go.  This doesn't have to be a fight.  I wear a mask for haircuts and an eye test because I want the service.  Why the need to convince people not to?

I think a lot of the fear from the "anti-mask" crowd is they don't want to see it come to the decision to not wear a mask becoming a crime. I think people should be able to make their choices, and businesses should be allowed to make them mandatory on their property.

#8248 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:30 AM

It's not about convincing people not to. You should be free to where whatever fashion you like. It's about convincing people that they should not be forced to wear one by law or corporate policy or by media induced social pressure. If there was any solid science behind the effectiveness of any old rag over your face preventing any infectious disease the BC nurses union would not have won the right to NOT be forced to wear them if they don't get the flu shot. face masks are also harmful if worn too much. There is science to support that. I see elderly walking around with no one anywhere near them wearing a mask. Breath is life. Human contact is essential. Small business is essential. Culture is essential. 

#8249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

I think a lot of the fear from the "anti-mask" crowd is they don't want to see it come to the decision to not wear a mask becoming a crime. I think people should be able to make their choices, and businesses should be allowed to make them mandatory on their property.

Yup. And there’s also a public shaming aspect to it that I personally find so distasteful.
  • exc911ence, Ismo07 and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8250 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:37 AM

It's not about convincing people not to. You should be free to where whatever fashion you like. It's about convincing people that they should not be forced to wear one by law or corporate policy or by media induced social pressure. If there was any solid science behind the effectiveness of any old rag over your face preventing any infectious disease the BC nurses union would not have won the right to NOT be forced to wear them if they don't get the flu shot. face masks are also harmful if worn too much. There is science to support that. I see elderly walking around with no one anywhere near them wearing a mask. Breath is life. Human contact is essential. Small business is essential. Culture is essential. 

On this topic - the only time I wear a mask is when I go to a mall/store for more than 5 minutes. That's it. There is not much reason for anyone to be wearing a mask walking down the street with no one near them because evidence suggests that COVID is droplet transmission, not airborne

#8251 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

Yes they are wearing mask as they are going somewhere, I think the feeling is that they don't know who they will run into at what time.  Kind of hard to just whip it on.  Those masks are not blocking oxygen molecules from coming in.  I agree let people make their own choice for sure but a little different from a fashion choice.  If the main intent is to protect others and that's the reason for the mandatory wearing of these things then I can appreciate that.  I will choose for as long as I can not to wear one.  About the science, I think there are many studies that show different things.  Dr. Wilson does a good job of speaking to all that.  End of the day masks are likely better than not having one.  Yes all that other stuff is essential (contact, business, culture) but so is health and life.

#8252 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

Yup. And there’s also a public shaming aspect to it that I personally find so distasteful.

one of the downfalls of the "Social Media Age" - there is a lack of common ground/seeing both sides. 

• Mike K. and Ismo07 like this

#8253 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

I wear a mask often.

but surely you can see the civil liberties or human rights aspects of the “other side” too.

if businesses or transit or libraries can say no then where does that leave the genuinely-unable-to-wear-a-mask people? excluded from businesses or activities because of a condition they have no control over. sort of like skin colour right?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2020 - 09:54 AM.

#8254 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:58 AM

The other reason is because if you give an inch, they keep taking more.

https://www.usnews.c...or-public-areas

#8255 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:58 AM

if businesses or transit or libraries can say no then where does that leave the genuinely-unable-to-wear-a-mask people? excluded from businesses or activities because of a condition they have no control over. sort of like skin colour right?

I should've clarified, I think businesses should be able to say masks are mandatory with a disclaimer that those who genuinely are unable to are exempt and don't need to provide proof, and not actively "enforce" (kind of like with Transit if you forgot/didn't have enough change)

#8256 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

I wear a mask often.

but surely you can see the civil liberties or human rights aspects of the “other side” too.

I don't know if I would equate that to skin colour.  The genuinely-not-able-to-wear a mask would likely have some ID for that?  There might be some looks for sure, todays society is weird to say the least.  Speaking for myself I likely won't go in to a store if they told me I had to wear a mask.  Not cause I'm boycotting but just respect their decision and I'll go somewhere else if I need to..  It's just choice.

#8257 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

The other reason is because if you give an inch, they keep taking more.

https://www.usnews.c...or-public-areas

If the government decides everyone is to wear a mask then they would do that without an inch.  That could very well happen.  I don't see it as a reduction in my freedom though I see it as a new rule that's been decided for safety.  Seatbelts, bike helmets, no smoking for ex.  Many people didn't like these changes either and had wild science studying against those changes too..  We do live in a society...

• Brayvehart likes this

#8258 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:07 AM

1614 are not “battling” the virus in BC. Probably most have zero symptoms. Easy battle. Wait 14 days. You win 99.9% of the time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2020 - 10:08 AM.

#8259 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

Your Mask May Be Causing Candida Growth in Your Mouth

Now that mask wearing is becoming the norm, you’re more susceptible to mask-induced skin problems.

https://www.everyday...-in-your-mouth/

I thought this was temporary? 

#8260 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:09 AM

my candida is permanent.
  • dasmo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users