COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#14921 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:59 AM

this article makes a very reasonable case for paying people to get vaccinated.

https://financialpos...accinated-maybe

it also quite correctly shows the silliness of not vaccinating NHL players ahead of other groups, and also talks sense about the olympics vaccination program.

#14922 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

Mike, so sorry to hear of your loss.

#14923 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:55 PM

Alberta and Ontario dumping the AZ program.

too bad all you suckers that “accepted the first vaccine offered”!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2021 - 12:56 PM.

#14924 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 01:40 PM

People believed their health "experts", can't fault them for that. Too bad the health experts and their leaders were only concerned about themselves and their election prospects.

#14925 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:31 PM

Illuminating to go to the beginning of this entire topic - right back to January 2020 and have a read, go in a few pages.

#14926 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:36 PM

People believed their health "experts", can't fault them for that. Too bad the health experts and their leaders were only concerned about themselves and their election prospects.

It was the right choice to take AstraZeneca. The probability of getting Covid is much higher than that of having blood clots. There wasn't a large supply of alternative vaccines to choose from, so taking the first one made sense.

If you really believe the medical experts are all self-serving or dishonest, where would you propose to get better information?
  • qv likes this

#14927 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:39 PM

You mean like everyone in the UK who got AZ, resulting in you posting about their great results repeatedly the last few weeks?

/glad I took it, got my vaccine weeks earlier as a result

#14928 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:44 PM

It was the right choice to take AstraZeneca. The probability of getting Covid is much higher than that of having blood clots. There wasn't a large supply of alternative vaccines to choose from, so taking the first one made sense.

If you really believe the medical experts are all self-serving or dishonest, where would you propose to get better information?

If you really think Dr BH and the ministry of health staffers aren’t subject to political influence then I’ve got bad news for you about how the world works. Everybody has an agenda, and even “objective” “evidence based” medical experts, if employed by government ministries, are very much restricted in their public advice by elected ministers. At the end of the day, experts give advice to politicians, and the politicians issue the orders. Sometimes they get it very wrong

Edit: I’d propose you get better information by seeking it from many sources, weighing the reliability and validity of each, analyzing info relative to your personal situation and making an informed / personalized risk-managed choice. Eg. Bonnie was very wrong about masks for the longest time at the start of the pandemic. You’d know this if you looked at other jurisdictions and their outcomes. She continues to be wrong about the implementation of orders- rules are very poorly communicated and coordinated. She’s also wrong about timing between doses - this will become apparent soon, although BC’s uncritical DBH fan group will somehow find a way to applaud her continued missteps...
re: AZ ..if you are young and healthy you should never take AZ- the risk of adverse AZ outcome is clearly much worse than covid risk, particularly if you’re female without obesity/asthma/etc

Edited by max.bravo, 11 May 2021 - 02:53 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#14929 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:51 PM

You mean like everyone in the UK who got AZ, resulting in you posting about their great results repeatedly the last few weeks?

/glad I took it, got my vaccine weeks earlier as a result

i think a lot of people will turn into Frankenstein though if your second shot does not match the first.  that's all i mean.

#14930 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:28 PM

I am happy to report that I now part of the almost 43% of British Columbians who have received at least their first COVID-19 vaccination. 

• Matt R., gstc84, vortoozo and 1 other like this

#14931 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:04 PM

We "suckers" helped bring about the decline in infections that you're now witnessing, and which otherwise might've killed you and your family.

Yet another example of the thoughtless entitlement I keep encountering on this forum.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 11 May 2021 - 04:09 PM.

• Mike K., Greg, vortoozo and 1 other like this

#14932 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:34 PM

Thirty-somethings are booking shots of Oxford-AstraZeneca through pharmacies in Greater Victoria this week, as Ontario paused first doses of the vaccine, citing increased chances of a rare vaccine-induced blood clot, and Alberta ran out of its supply.

Vikram Bawa, owner of Fort Royal Pharmacy, received 400 doses for his Hillside and Oak Bay Avenue locations and says he’s already down to almost half that. “It’s been really really busy,” said Bawa. All doses will be administered by Saturday.

https://www.timescol...oses-1.24317961

COVID-19 trendline continues to fall, as B.C. records 515 new cases and 2 more deaths

There are 426 people in hospital with the disease, including 141 in intensive care

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ay-11-1.6022606

Hospitalizations have continued rising in Alberta in recent days, reaching 705 people Tuesday, including 163 in ICU.

Active cases too remain high at 24,998 — 11,532 of those in the Calgary Zone and 5,707 in the Edmonton Zone.

Another 1,449 new cases were identified after 11,852 tests, setting the positivity rate at 12.2 per cent.

https://edmontonjour...-alberta-may-11

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2021 - 04:38 PM.

#14933 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:41 PM

worldwide cases and deaths are dropping again.

zero deaths today in Israel.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2021 - 04:56 PM.

#14934 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:44 PM

This "sucker" is getting his AZ vaccine tomorrow.

Happy to leave Pfizer/Moderna for people who would be more at risk from the AZ program than me.

And happy to get it sooner than I otherwise would have.

• Greg likes this

#14935 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:47 PM

This "sucker" is getting his AZ vaccine tomorrow.

Happy to leave Pfizer/Moderna for people who would be more at risk from the AZ program than me.

And happy to get it sooner than I otherwise would have.

But for most Canadians (19 million), a second shot of AZ has now been cancelled (Ontario and Alberta).  What if BC follows?  There are no complete tests yet on mixing vaccines (a UK test will yield results shortly).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2021 - 04:48 PM.

#14936 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:07 PM

But for 19 million Canadians, a second shot of AZ has now been cancelled (Ontario and Alberta).  What if BC follows?  There are no complete tests yet on mixing vaccines (a UK test will yield results shortly).

Ontario & Alberta are not cancelling the second shot of AZ at this time. They are pausing first doses. One of the reasons cited is a lack of supply. We still have limited supply here. 

Doctors, including one of the senior officials of the UK study, are suggesting that overall better protection might be an outcome of mixing vaccines. Risks seem low, and Dr. Henry has already suggested that we may be offered a choice, pending the results of the study. I'm not concerned. No one is forcing me to take it. I'm doing it because I think it's the right thing to do.

• qv likes this

#14937 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:44 PM

If you really think Dr BH and the ministry of health staffers aren’t subject to political influence then I’ve got bad news for you about how the world works. Everybody has an agenda, and even “objective” “evidence based” medical experts, if employed by government ministries, are very much restricted in their public advice by elected ministers. At the end of the day, experts give advice to politicians, and the politicians issue the orders. Sometimes they get it very wrong

Edit: I’d propose you get better information by seeking it from many sources, weighing the reliability and validity of each, analyzing info relative to your personal situation and making an informed / personalized risk-managed choice. Eg. Bonnie was very wrong about masks for the longest time at the start of the pandemic. You’d know this if you looked at other jurisdictions and their outcomes. She continues to be wrong about the implementation of orders- rules are very poorly communicated and coordinated. She’s also wrong about timing between doses - this will become apparent soon, although BC’s uncritical DBH fan group will somehow find a way to applaud her continued missteps...
re: AZ ..if you are young and healthy you should never take AZ- the risk of adverse AZ outcome is clearly much worse than covid risk, particularly if you’re female without obesity/asthma/etc

You haven't recommended any better sources than public health authorities. The problem I have with your argument is that it easily leads to giving undue weight to unreliable alternative sources. There's also a massive swamp of vaccine misinformation which muddies the waters.

The UK is a great real world demonstration of AstraZeneca's effectiveness, and that waiting longer between shots is safe and successful.

Edit: Don't mistake what I'm saying. Public health authorities make plenty of mistakes, and they are not the only people.you should listen to. I am responding to those who discard their advice or accuse them of nefarious conspiracies.

Edited by qv, 11 May 2021 - 05:48 PM.

#14938 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:15 PM

9 states had no deaths today.  30 had only single-digit deaths.

#14939 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:23 PM

We "suckers" helped bring about the decline in infections that you're now witnessing, and which otherwise might've killed you and your family.

Yet another example of the thoughtless entitlement I keep encountering on this forum.

Hmm. I have no doubts about the vaccines efficacy at reducing cases. Look at Israel. But Why did infections start declining this exact same time last year despite vaccines being unavailable?

At this point there’s no evidence to suggest the decline we’re seeing in BC is due to anything other than 1) seasonality and 2) restrictions.

Only 43% of BC residents have received a first dose. Not enough to say definitively the cause of reduction in cases.

Who’s thoughtless now?

#14940 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:29 PM

Alberta has tighter restrictions and not much lower vaccination rate. Explain

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users