COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#17661 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:06 PM

What I’d like a better indication of is if you end up in ICU, whether the vaccine has a determinant of outcome, or if it doesn’t.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17662 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,859 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:12 PM

A Princeton man called 911 on Monday, Sept. 13, after he witnessed someone being turned away from a local restaurant under vaccine passport regulations.

RCMP Sgt. Rob Hughes said the caller wanted to register his outrage about the customer not receiving receive his breakfast.

Hughes said the caller blamed Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau for the country “falling apart.”

https://www.similkam...sed-breakfast/#

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2021 - 04:12 PM.

#17663 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:31 PM

If I had to guess, I suspect that a lot of the deaths are amongst those that are double vaccinated since the most vulnerable are those over seventy and virtually all of them have been vaccinated. The simple fact of the matter is that the best vaccine is rather ineffective if there is no immune system left.

On the other hand, for deaths amongst those under sixty my guess is that it would mostly be the unvaccinated. In part, my point is that simply looking at raw numbers is at best misleading.

• Nparker likes this

#17664 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:33 PM

Frankly, I would feel a lot better about going into restaurants if the people working there and especially the person serving me was vaccinated. 

• sebberry likes this

#17665 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:09 PM

It’s a tough day for restaurants today.

If you look at the Google busy-o-meter, all the ones I’ve checked are 10-60% of by-hour capacity this evening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17666 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:21 PM

What I’d like a better indication of is if you end up in ICU, whether the vaccine has a determinant of outcome, or if it doesn’t.

Here's some UK data:

• Chart: The Vaccination Effect on Covid-19 Deaths | Statista

And some US data:

Monitoring Incidence of COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalizations, and Deaths, by Vaccination Status — 13 U.S. Jurisdictions, April 4–July 17, 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)

Overwhelmingly showing fully vaccinated people are at much lower risk of covid-related death.

• Mike K. and Brayvehart like this

#17667 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:27 PM

It wouldn't help the hospitals, but one option is to create red zones.  Restaurants that are flagged red not vaccinate, mask or take any precautions.  It would be like hanging out at a Victoria homeless hotel 

#17668 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:37 PM

If you look at the Google busy-o-meter, all the ones I’ve checked are 10-60% of by-hour capacity this evening.

Very quiet downtown today in general. Usually when there are new safety measures, things get very quiet. I imagine there are folks out there who wanted to avoid confrontation or the freedom rally. I noticed a lot of places are closed on Mondays too. Walked all down fort st, very surprising
  • Ismo07 likes this

#17669 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:57 PM

I went to one of my usual haunts for lunch today near my office.

I flashed the owner my passport.

“Oh nice” she said, “where did you get it laminated?”

I said “Staples. Do you have a scanner to confirm it’s real?”

“No” she said.
  • Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#17670 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:59 PM

I think enforcement will be next to none. the places I go say they are just going to ignore it.
  • Ismo07 likes this

#17671 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:19 PM

...I flashed the owner my passport....“Oh nice” she said, “where did you get it laminated?”...I said “Staples...

Mind if I ask the cost for that Sparky? I am planning on getting mine laminated, since I rarely carry my phone with me and the paper version won't hold up long term in my wallet.

#17672 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:28 PM

Very quiet downtown today in general. Usually when there are new safety measures, things get very quiet. I imagine there are folks out there who wanted to avoid confrontation or the freedom rally. I noticed a lot of places are closed on Mondays too. Walked all down fort st, very surprising

A couple of my friends told me volume was down about 30% today at their restaurants. Hopefully it picks up.

#17673 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:29 PM

I think enforcement will be next to none. the places I go say they are just going to ignore it.

They won't ignore it but how closely they check and whether they hold up a patron while he/she fumbles for picture ID will vary.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#17674 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:34 PM

the places I go

#17675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:41 PM

Here's some UK data:

• Chart: The Vaccination Effect on Covid-19 Deaths | Statista

And some US data:

Monitoring Incidence of COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalizations, and Deaths, by Vaccination Status — 13 U.S. Jurisdictions, April 4–July 17, 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)

Overwhelmingly showing fully vaccinated people are at much lower risk of covid-related death.

Excellent, thank you.

Know it all.

#17676 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:19 PM

Mind if I ask the cost for that Sparky? I am planning on getting mine laminated, since I rarely carry my phone with me and the paper version won't hold up long term in my wallet.

It was about $3
  • Nparker likes this

#17677 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:31 PM

To avoid the initial BS, the dining room was closed today and will be tomorrow, but the other two “large” places here I spoke with today said they were hopping busy, no real issues aside from many guests being totally unprepared to show the pass and ID. We had about 70% of normal sales, which ain’t bad given it was cafe and takeout only.

Matt.

#17678 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:34 PM

I went to one of my usual haunts for lunch today near my office.

I flashed the owner my passport.

“Oh nice” she said, “where did you get it laminated?”

I said “Staples. Do you have a scanner to confirm it’s real?”

“No” she said.

No requirement to scan, a visual check plus photo ID is enough.. for now.

Matt.

#17679 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:57 AM

On busy Government Street in downtown Victoria, the restaurant business appeared to be booming — sunny patios filling with tourists and locals alike. Only small things indicated a change, such as the signs instructing people to have their vaccine card and identification ready, and, in some cases, security guards posted at what is typically the host’s stand.

One man carried a sign comparing vaccine cards to Nazism. The sign read “No (Swastika) Pass.”

Clark was watching when the fight began.

“(The one man) tried to go after the guy’s swastika sign and then; (the other man) started hitting him. And they both started chasing each other.”

After police arrived, the men continued shouting at each other but eventually calmed down. Neither would give their name to the Star. The man with the swastika sign went to lean against some construction fencing to smoke, and said he would not speak to any media because he believed the media was part of “the cabal.” That term is often used by conspiracy theorists such as QAnoners, who contend the world is being secretly controlled by a malevolent power.

https://www.thestar....sport-went.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 September 2021 - 02:59 AM.

#17680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:25 AM

The vaccine-card program, designed to spur on vaccinations, requires customers to show proof of vaccination at restaurants, sports venues, theatres and other non-essential indoor places. About two million people have registered for the cards so far, the Health Ministry said.

https://www.timescol...gram-1.24357669

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users