Photo

COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#18241 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:45 AM

Ianforod: Actually, there is a really wide middle ground that allows me a rewarding life while still taking care with what I am doing. I suspect that I am more than just a bit older than you and also I have COPD which also changes the calculation. Truthfully my life before covid was not that exciting. 

I am carefully with social distancing, also hygiene as we all should be were possible, But an additional protection is that I use N95 masks, as recommended by my doctor because of my medical condition.

Still I am out and about every day and we off to Whistler in the next few weeks.

You dont want to stop living but you dont want to be foolish. It is about striking a balance., 

• Mike K., spanky123, Danma and 2 others like this

#18242 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:48 AM

... I have COPD which also changes the calculation...

And this is what I mean about understanding co-morbidities. 

Please keep well and enjoy your life Barrister. I, for one, would miss your posts if you were no longer here.

• spanky123 and sebberry like this

#18243 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:02 AM

I would miss being here even more/ LOL.  

• Nparker and spanky123 like this

#18244 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:15 AM

Truthfully my life before covid was not that exciting. 

I actually kinda liked the start of it when everyone stayed at home and everything was quiet.  Finally, it was perfectly fitting for me :D 

• TFord likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#18245 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, that was a neat time. The whole world just slowed down. But man, did it ever impact downtown Victoria. It was a frightening place at times when not a soul was around at mid-day.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18246 OccamsDisposable

OccamsDisposable
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:30 AM

It was great for bike riders, the roads suddenly belonged to us, and as an added bonus cycling was the best way to get out and about but be fully distanced from everybody (which is my default mode at the best of times anyway).

• Danma likes this

#18247 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:36 AM

It was great for bike riders, the roads suddenly belonged to us

I noticed, which is why my commute was no quicker stuck behind all the bikes.

• OccamsDisposable likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#18248 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:39 AM

Following guidelines released by the provincial government on Friday, SD61 is starting by gathering data on vaccination rates in staff, privacy concerns and what impact a mandate could have on employee retention.

But it is not a privacy or retention concern for any other profession where vaccination has been mandated?

• Nparker likes this

#18249 OccamsDisposable

OccamsDisposable
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:43 AM

I noticed, which is why my commute was no quicker stuck behind all the bikes

True that, lol. I have a rear view mirror on my bike to keep track of car traffic (and move out of their way). 

#18250 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:50 AM

Ianforod: Actually, there is a really wide middle ground that allows me a rewarding life while still taking care with what I am doing. I suspect that I am more than just a bit older than you and also I have COPD which also changes the calculation. Truthfully my life before covid was not that exciting. 

I am carefully with social distancing, also hygiene as we all should be were possible, But an additional protection is that I use N95 masks, as recommended by my doctor because of my medical condition.

Still I am out and about every day and we off to Whistler in the next few weeks.

You dont want to stop living but you dont want to be foolish. It is about striking a balance., 

Thats excellent. Your posts struck more more like you were hunkering inside with your n95 mask on for the past 18 months. A balance is right. 

#18251 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:24 PM

The District of Saanich announced Oct. 27 that it will require all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Dec. 13.

Saanich employees are required to present proof by this date while those unable to be inoculated for medical reasons are eligible for accommodation.

Elected officials are not subject to the vaccination mandate since it’s an employee policy. However, all members of Saanich council have confirmed they are fully vaccinated, a release said.

https://www.vicnews....accine-mandate/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2021 - 02:24 PM.

#18252 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:59 PM

^ People would feel a lot better about these mandates if our health 'experts' were more forthcoming with data. How risky is it for a vaccinated person to be around the unvaccinated as an example? What percentage of people in the hospital / ICU have been vaccinated with what vaccine and how long ago? What percentage of people in the hospital / ICU have previously had covid?

Most of what we are told is ridiculous and false on its face (ie Dr. BH telling us a week or two ago that everyone in hospital had caught covid from an unvaccinated person - how would they possibly know that?) and thus people don't trust what they are told.

Edited by spanky123, 27 October 2021 - 02:59 PM.

• TFord likes this

#18253 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:28 PM

COVID-19: B.C. reports 609 new cases and six deaths, hospitalizations top 400

https://globalnews.c...ctober-27-2021/

#18254 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:23 PM

I actually kinda liked the start of it when everyone stayed at home and everything was quiet.  Finally, it was perfectly fitting for me :D

I almost forget how much I enjoyed the slowdown. Reading the comment minded me of it. Some lessons to be learned. 

TFord 

#18255 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:27 PM

COVID-19: B.C. reports 609 new cases and six deaths, hospitalizations top 400

https://globalnews.c...ctober-27-2021/

If this virus mutates again we are screwed. How do we prepare for that? 

TFord

#18256 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:33 PM

The virus has mutated thousands of times. The question is not whether it mutates but if changes can evade the vaccine, make it more infectious or make it more lethal.

#18257 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:48 AM

https://www.worldome...country/canada/

#18258 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:31 AM

The subtle but detectable anti-vax undertone of the past few posts in this thread continues to remain disturbing.

FFS, just go get vaccinated before you personally contribute to the virus mutating into some variant as yet unanticipated, but that will thrust the world back to March of 2020 ... devastating economies, and killing millions more than have already died from COVID related issues.

For the naysayers and anti-vaxers present and accounted for, it's important to remember that you know absolutely nothing about vaccines or viruses from a medical point of view, and that your "internet research" amounts to little more than a piece of toilet paper blowing in the wind. 

100% vaccination equates to a measure of intelligence, which appears to be (sadly) unachievable ... as the good old "internet" repeatedly demonstrates.

Edited by Spy Black, 28 October 2021 - 06:32 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#18259 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:35 AM

I am fully vaccinated (my choice), but that doesn't mean I am necessarily a supporter of vaccine mandates.

#18260 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:41 AM

Fully vaxxed here.

But I still have concerns.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users