APPROVED
Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel
Uses: hotel, commercial
Address: 780-798 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
The Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel is a proposal along the 700-block of Fort Street at Blanshard Street to ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Montrose Wintergarden Hotel | 66.9 meters

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#61 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:13 AM

Another big attraction of the project is a 1. winter garden that would be shared between hotel guests, residential tenants and the public. The winter garden would sit inside the south-facing corner of Blanshard Street and Fort Street, which Fullbrook said was inspired by the need for something “grand” in that space.

The high-rise triangular tower won’t have balconies so as not to get in the way of the view of the St. Andrew’s Cathedral spire. The project got some pushback on the addition of two floors, 2. making it 18 to 20 storeys high. Residents cited concerns of economic viability.

The Blanshard Block 3. would see three levels of parking underground, with room 4. on the second and third floor for smaller specialty office spaces. The 5. fourth floor would house a restaurant or bar and the hotel – in the triangular-shaped tower – is meant to have an “AirBnB” feel, allowing those who travel to the city on business to be where the locals are.

One of the main draws of the project, that received a number of compliments from those in the audience, is 6. the fact that the developers will undertake the whole project while keeping all the commercial and residential tenants. Currently, the site is occupied by a Monk Office, the Self-Heal Herbal Center, Elder Chiropractic, Chimoto, Italian Food Imports, Guitar Plus, Better Choice Staffing 

https://www.vicnews....urrent-tenants/

6 items there.  will bet that 4 of them don't happen.  this developer seems to have grand ideas.  nothing seems to happen though.

hotel guests and apartment residents do not just hang out in common areas.  it's not how people work.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 January 2020 - 05:17 AM.

#62 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:32 PM

If an argument against this proposal is that Fort & Blanshard is a poor location for a hotel (i.e. too far away from where tourists want to be), then how would the Gateway Green site (Blanshard & Fisgard) be more suitable?

My argument wasn't that Fort/Blanshard is too far from tourists. Tourists can walk or call a cab or whatever. I'm just saying a glassy atrium along the sidewalk there would be the inverse of the little storefronts that typify Fort/Blanshard as it is now.

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

... I'm just saying a glassy atrium along the sidewalk there would be the inverse of the little storefronts that typify Fort/Blanshard as it is now.

Dollars-to-doughnuts if this project goes ahead the glassy atrium will be the first part of the design to get nixed.

#64 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:57 PM

My argument wasn't that Fort/Blanshard is too far freom tourists. Tourists can walk or call a cab or whatever. I'm just saying a glassy atrium along the sidewalk there would be the inverse of the little storefronts that typify Fort/Blanshard as it is now.

I can't put my finger on it but something about this reminds me of the Emaar luxury condo proposal for the Capitol 6 parking lot. It just seems an odd fit for this particular area. The SE corner of Broughton and Douglas beside the Strath would look good.

• Brantastic likes this

#65 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:35 PM

The actual design is very cool, and something I'd like to see more of. It's just a weird location. Something I love about downtown is how it's a neighborhood made up of multiple smaller sub-districts - Chinatown, Hudson District, Government St., etc. A building may be suitable for one block, but not necessarily the next. For me, Blanshard & Fort is one of those unique sub-districts, characterized by hole-on-the-wall eateries, ethnic foods, and local shops. Relocate this building a few blocks north (Say, Blanshard and Pandora or Johnson) and I'm sold. 

• Rob Randall likes this

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:09 AM

This project will most likely not come to fruition in its current incarnation, but I think location will be the least of reasons for this.

#67 cathawk

cathawk
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

Personally, I think if this building was built in this location it would do just fine. I think because there is nothing of height in the immediate vicinity it may feel a little strange, but height does actually exist close to this location. The CIBC building is just down the street, and the Staples (?) building is only half a block away on the same street. This is just a natural extension of larger buildings into an area that is ripe for redevelopment.

Also, almost the entire south side of Fort St between Blanshard and Quadra will have buildings in the 10 storey range. I think we want to strive away from an entire street of 10 to 12 storey buildings in order to negate that tabletop feel.

Finally, the Atrium proves that public spaces can and do work. If this building's atrium were to mimic that, I could definitely see it as a place where people do meet and gather.

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#68 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

Finally, the Atrium proves that public spaces can and do work. If this building's atrium were to mimic that, I could definitely see it as a place where people do meet and gather.

the atrium has hundreds of workers seeking a break and lunch though away from the office.  those people have no private space to retreat to save for their cubicle.  or office if they are higher up in management.  i'm not sure hotel guests or residents or just people in general hanging around downtown seek common space with strangers.  they go to pubs or restaurants or even the library.  not so certain they will be attracted to a common space with limited amenities.     

the atrium is also quite inviting with the glass entry.  a common space 2 or 3 flights up won't attract the same way.  i don't think.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 February 2020 - 09:28 AM.

#69 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

I use The Atrium's common space quite a lot and I can assure you very few of the people hanging out in there are office workers in the building on their break. It's used for studying, coffee dates, writing resumes, meeting with friends, tutoring, interviews, etc. It's a very well-used space.

• jasmineshinga, cathawk and Victoria Watcher like this

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:27 AM

I’ve had a couple of meetings in the Atrium. The person wanted to meet there, so I said sure. It’s common to see meetings at those tables.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

how do they keep the riff raff out?  homeless just not allowed?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 February 2020 - 10:45 AM.

#72 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:16 AM

There's a concierge desk - they keep an eye on who comes in and out and control access to the washrooms. I assume they also have building security who they can call upon as well. 

#73 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

how do they keep the riff raff out?

Every 15 minutes they call out a random selection of VV usernames. If anybody turns around or otherwise shows a flicker of recognition, he/she gets the boot.

• zoomer, Nparker, Bernard and 5 others like this

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

I’ll vouch for that. Aastra didn’t go quietly, let me tell you.
  • Bernard, DavidSchell and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 Biro

Biro
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

Every 15 minutes they call out a random selection of VV usernames. If anybody turns around or otherwise shows a flicker of recognition, he/she gets the boot.

That’s a keeper post right there.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:23 PM

The developer's vehicle was recently stolen and dumped into the ocean in front of his home. Link.

David Fullbrook believes this may have been done to send some sort of a message.

Know it all.

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:27 PM

I wish I could believe the developer was just being paranoid, but all bets are off these days.

#78 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

The developer's vehicle was recently stolen and dumped into the ocean in front of his home. Link.

David Fullbrook believes this may have been done to send some sort of a message.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

Developer behind the Vortex?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#80 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

vortex:

https://saltspringex...vortex-project/

Salt-Spring-Design-Concepts-for-Fulford-

this musician won't be making rent in his guitar case on this day.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 February 2020 - 05:40 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users