APPROVED
Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel
Uses: hotel, commercial
Address: 780-798 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
The Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel is a proposal along the 700-block of Fort Street at Blanshard Street to ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Montrose Wintergarden Hotel | 66.9 meters

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#101 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:39 PM

I just hope it gets built at all. It seems like a risky time to be proposing a large hotel project. Then again, post-plague, Victoria may again be a desirable tourist destination. And there are certainly fewer short-term accommodation rooms in the city now than there used to be.

This one will definitely get Ben's blood boiling, so that's a plus right there.

Well it might get his blood boiling because it’s new competition against his suite at the Parkside.
  • DavidSchell likes this

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

Here is an updated rendering.

Attached Images

• Wintergarden.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:17 PM

This one went to ADP today. Staff report and drawings here: https://www.victoria...t Blanshard.pdf

Capture.PNG

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#104 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:38 AM

DRA is concerned about this proposal following the CALUC meeting- they have posted a letter here: https://victoriadra....-WG-–-FINAL.pdf

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:42 AM

The DRA doesn't like it. Shocking!

#106 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:17 PM

An effective FSR of 9.13:1 which is far denser than the current record holder which I believe is the venerable Belmont Building at around 7:1. 

And right next to the island's finest cathedral. I'm not trying to shoot it down, just saying it's a hell of a bold ask.

#107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:34 PM

how does its density size or shape or form negatively affect the cathedral?

if it does, then in what negative ways would people feel this effect? either citizens or church members or users?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 February 2021 - 12:36 PM.

#108 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:40 PM

I think there's a consensus that landmarks like important spires benefit when there's a little breathing space around them. In being able to see them from different angles from further away as opposed to being blocked in and invisible. If you visited two identical cities the one where you could see the spire would offer a better pedestrian experience. But it's hard to justify this to an accountant.

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:47 PM

i didn’t ask how the building would benefit. I was asking about the people.

how will be seeing it from further away and different angles benefit people? less walking? less eye strain?

shorter walking tours or more sights on tours?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 February 2021 - 12:50 PM.

#110 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:01 PM

I can't casually explain. You get it or you don't.

#111 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:06 PM

I can't casually explain. You get it or you don't.

or it defies logic or has no legitimate rationale in this case.  it's not like the cathedral is admired by thousands picnicking in a nearby park each day.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 February 2021 - 01:07 PM.

#112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:14 PM

...If you visited two identical cities the one where you could see the spire would offer a better pedestrian experience....

I suppose this might be true for some people. Personally, as a pedestrian, I'd just as soon be able to see a well-designed modern high rise as a cathedral spire.

#113 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:20 PM

Always wondered how it is that truly world class cities like London, Chicago, Toronto - all of which are much older and "historic" than Victoria could ever be in its wildest dreams - have no problem building modern and tall buildings directly adjacent to historic cathedrals in many cases but "nope" it can't be done here. It seems that whether its commuter ferries, new bridges (thinking of the floating bridge over Saanich Inlet proposal here), integrated regional transportation plans or - especially taller modern architecture - other places all over the globe manage these things just fine but "somehow" it just isn't possible here apparently.....

• Nparker likes this

#114 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:47 PM

^Of course it's possible. Would you advocate blowing up the cathedral and replacing it with a sleek, modern, world-class tower?

#115 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:51 PM

^Of course it's possible. Would you advocate blowing up the cathedral and replacing it with a sleek, modern, world-class tower?

sure.  if the owner wants to do that.

#116 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

Don't think he made any such suggestion.

I'm with him though. I've been to large cities and see large buildings right next to historic sites all the time. I see no issues with us putting this building up in Victoria.

#117 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:56 PM

Yes of course because that is "obviously" what I suggested. Are you being deliberately obtuse? If you can't refrain from putting words in someone else's mouth to support your own ridiculous response I suggest you refrain from commenting.

#118 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:06 PM

Yes of course because that is "obviously" what I suggested. Are you being deliberately obtuse? If you can't refrain from putting words in someone else's mouth to support your own ridiculous response I suggest you refrain from commenting.

No need to get excited. I'm just pointing out that heritage has a tangible value that can be enhanced or diminished by what surrounds it. The only debate is how far we go to preserve it at the expense of other structures. We're all against removing the cathedral, whether by destruction or by enclosure (imagine taller structures surrounding it on all four sides). But how far do we go?

Let's have that discussion--what is the value of that spire as a key element of the skyline and the pedestrian realm?

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 February 2021 - 02:07 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:09 PM

Here are several different pedestrian vantage points from which this proposal will not affect the view of the Cathedral spire.

F&B-1.PNG

F&B-2.PNG

F&B-3.PNG

F&B-4.PNG

I am sure there are others. I should also add that the Cathedral is barely visible now from downtown's busiest pedestrian thoroughfare, Douglas Street.

#120 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:20 PM

^And that might be just fine. You may recall I laughed at the concerns the Juliet tower would overshadow the Synagogue. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users