Photo

Malahat Skywalk

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#21 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:02 PM

Do people have to walk all that way? Can't imagine most people willing to do all that walking for that view. I walk alot and I sure wouldn't do it.

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,938 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:05 PM

maybe they can strap a roller-coaster type ride on the side of it to take you back down. 

#23 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:07 PM

maybe they can strap a roller-coaster type ride on the side of it to take you back down. 

There is a slide option to take down if you'd like. Not kidding

• Mike K., lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:13 PM

sounds alright.  but a fire-pole would be more exciting.

#25 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:15 PM

Now I would be willing to do the walk up. But just to take the slide down, after a quick look at the view. I could see that be coming the main attraction.

#26 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:16 PM

sounds alright.  but a fire-pole would be more exciting.

and to make it more authentic they could have firemen and paramedics at the bottom to assist with your broken pelvis.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 May 2021 - 02:19 PM.

#27 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:19 PM

What are the odds a fog bank rolls in for opening day?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:41 PM

What are the odds a fog bank rolls in for opening day?

Fred Haynes has it at 3 to 1.

David Screech has it at 3.5 to 1.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 May 2021 - 03:42 PM.

• Mike K. and JohnsonStBridge like this

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:43 PM

Lol...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:00 PM

[quote name="max.bravo" post="602541" timestamp="1620336437"]

The highway pullout before Bamberton is pretty much @ 250m elevation. The view will be nearly the same as from the new skywalk. (Don’t tell tourists).

Don’t worry, I am sure that most will figure out with social media that the free view is just as good at the $100+ one for their family.

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:11 AM

https://www.timescol...walk-1.24315963

The structure rises 250 metres above sea level and promises a panoramic view of Finlayson Arm, Saanich Inlet, Saanich Peninsula, the Gulf Islands, San Juan Islands, Mount Baker and the Coast Mountains.

Guests can opt to take a more adventurous return trip to the ground via a 20-metre spiral slide.

:confused:

Admission prices will be $18.95 for children, $31.95 for adults and $28.95 for seniors.

^ that's MUCH too expensive.  ouch.

#32 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:58 AM

Those prices are pretty crazy ... BUT ... I've long thought the same about the Capalino Suspension Bridge, which is $55.00 for adults for a single ticket, and is crawling with people most days of the year. The only time it's a bit less busy is when it's raining heavily.

Granted, the Capalino Suspension Bridge has a few additional "features" ... but my guess is the same kind of folks that would pay $200.00 for their family of four to take a 60 second walk across a swinging bridge will pay $100.00 for their family of four to stand in a wooden tower for 10 minutes and then slide down a slide in order to walk back to their car.

I'll never visit the Malahat tower in my lifetime (what's left of it), just as I'd never visit the Capalino Suspension Bridge ... and I suspect a multitude of Victoria area residents feel the same way ... BUT, I would posit that the Malahat Tower is aimed directly at wealthy tourists from far away lands ... the same kind of people who travel from afar to take a picture standing beside Mile 0, or spend a fortune to stand across the Bow River from the Banff Hotel for the sole purpose of having their picture taken with the hotel in the background.

In other words, the Malahat tower ain't really for the likes of you and me (indeed, not for most residents of the South Island).

#33 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:02 AM

^ that's an interesting take, Spy.

the suspension bridge does get very good ratings.

https://www.tripadvi...h_Columbia.html

i think there is quite a bit more to do there.  plus of course 10x the number of visitors to the area each year than we have.

https://capbridge-ca...BP-Park-Map.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 May 2021 - 06:09 AM.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:11 AM

I did the bridge eons ago for the novelty of being on a suspension bridge, then I found another suspension bridge in North Van (or is it West Van?) that was free, but not quite as big. What surprised me about Capilano was how overbuilt it was. I assumed you would swing on it but it was very sturdy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:24 AM

I have no idea why anyone would spend any money for this. There are two view areas on the Malahat that are just as good and free. 

Was there a lot of government money poured into this project.

#36 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:36 AM

i think there is a way to save this project.

• Matt R., GaryRanson, Danma and 4 others like this

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:32 AM

Can’t we just divert the ferry?

Know it all.

#38 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:07 AM

I have no idea why anyone would spend any money for this. There are two view areas on the Malahat that are just as good and free. 

Was there a lot of government money poured into this project.

Short answer is yes. Long answer is that these deals are usually convoluted and promoted as 'granting' reconciliation funds along with the FN then 'buying' lands and services with those funds.

Edited by spanky123, 07 May 2021 - 08:07 AM.

#39 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:45 AM

I did the bridge eons ago for the novelty of being on a suspension bridge, then I found another suspension bridge in North Van (or is it West Van?) that was free, but not quite as big. What surprised me about Capilano was how overbuilt it was. I assumed you would swing on it but it was very sturdy.

Lynn Canyon, also in North Van

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:51 AM

Ah, that’s it. Yeah I accidentally came upon it. It’s cool.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users