Malahat Skywalk

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#41 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:57 AM

I dont think this is going to last very long.

It reminds me of Mel Coopers failed 3D BC exhibit at Crystal Gardens. Went once for a Chamber event and didnt see the need to go back.

This lookout is going to need a whole bunch of interactive events to draw people more than once. I think they could partner with Wildplay and do a Monkido adventure course and add a local food and wine tasting section showcasing all the foods and wines created within eyesight, heck the Cowichan Valley and Saltspring and the Peninsula are home to some amazing foods, wines, Cider & Beers

Paying that type of money to walk up a couple hundred steps take some pics and then ....what?

Edited by rjag, 08 May 2021 - 07:58 AM.

#42 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

I did the bridge eons ago for the novelty of being on a suspension bridge, then I found another suspension bridge in North Van (or is it West Van?) that was free, but not quite as big. What surprised me about Capilano was how overbuilt it was. I assumed you would swing on it but it was very sturdy.

Lynn Canyon suspension bridge in North Vancouver is likely the one you are thinking of. 

• Mike K. likes this

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,292 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:10 AM

Paying that type of money to walk up a couple hundred steps take some pics and then ....what?

650m uphill.  so that's at least 1000 steps for most people.

• rjag likes this

#44 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:15 AM

650m uphill.  so that's at least 1000 steps for most people.

Does it have a spiral escalator or moving carpet?

#45 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:20 AM

I dont think this is going to last very long.

It reminds me of Mel Coopers failed 3D BC exhibit at Crystal Gardens. Went once for a Chamber event and didnt see the need to go back.....

I think the main reason that failed was the much better exhibits next door at the BC Museum. I don’t know the exhibit closed before I could attend.

#46 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:27 AM

I think it’s probably gonna be fine, business wise. For one, it’s a FN biz on a reserve, so it wont pay taxes. I’m sure they get to skirt a bunch of other regulations as well like Worksafe. I can hardly see an inspector raising hell on a FN site. Operating costs can’t be very high for a no frills operation like this. I’m sure they arent banking on locals as target customers. As soon as tourism opens up again lots of folks will book this in advance when they see it on expedia while planning their Vancouver island itinerary.

#47 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:38 AM

I think it’s probably gonna be fine, business wise. For one, it’s a FN biz on a reserve, so it wont pay taxes. I’m sure they get to skirt a bunch of other regulations as well like Worksafe. I can hardly see an inspector raising hell on a FN site. Operating costs can’t be very high for a no frills operation like this. I’m sure they arent banking on locals as target customers. As soon as tourism opens up again lots of folks will book this in advance when they see it on expedia while planning their Vancouver island itinerary.

I hope so I love cheesy tourist attractions.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:43 AM

Oh yeah the Expedia booking angle makes sense.

I’m surprised nobody has highlighted yet that this is a tourism attraction outside of the Capital Region and requires personal vehicular travel or private tour buses to access.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:46 AM

I’m surprised nobody has highlighted yet that this is a tourism attraction outside of the Capital Region and requires personal vehicular travel or private tour buses to access.

ReCoNciLiATiOn trumps environmentalism.

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:47 AM

a new 250m high stripper bar might be exactly what we need to get out of this COVID funk.  imagine the pent-up demand.  it's the kind of stimulus lots of people will be looking for.

• rjag likes this

#51 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:48 AM

expedia and tripadvisor double-edged though. if it's a junk attraction it'll get bad online ratings.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:33 AM

Can’t you pay them for like a minimum 3.5 stars, or something?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:33 AM

ReCoNciLiATiOn trumps environmentalism.

I suppose you could drive your cYbErTRuCk there.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#54 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 02:09 PM

Bring back the glass castle. I remember going there in the 80s.

#55 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:30 AM

At those ticket prices, it's very likely that they could survive on only a single tour bus full of people each day ... and they'll probably get more than that (not a lot more, but "more").

Each single bus load of tourists will generate approximately $1650.00 in ticket sales, plus whatever food, drink, and trinkets they can sell to those visitors on-site.

Let's say (for argument) that each bus load of visitors will bring in $2000.00 in clear revenue.

That really only means that, at least during the tourist season ... 5 bus loads each day will bring in $10,000.00 in revenue. 

There's also a pretty good chance that those 5 bus loads will be well sold out in advance too, as part of a much larger tour group package of attractions.

I think a low-tech tourist attraction with very few moving parts, and what is likely a very low overhead in terms of the need for facility staff, could make a good go of business with revenues of between $5000.00 and $10,000.00 per day.

And if they manage to develop themselves internationally as a targeted destination attraction ... they could easily double or triple those numbers based on the total number of tourists we have moving about Vancouver Island as part of an organized tour group during a typical season.

But I'll never go ... heck, I rarely even stop at the free view points near-by ... so I (and most people I know) definitely aren't the metric this attraction is aiming for.

• newbie_01 likes this

#56 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:20 AM

https://www.vicnews....o-open-july-15/

opens July 15.

the annual pass seems reasonable. $87 for adult seems alright. I think all the kids prices are too high. in fact I think kids prices are too high almost everywhere for where they are not displacing an adult fare or using a consumable.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 July 2021 - 09:23 AM.

#57 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:26 AM

Annual pass option seems weird... I can't imagine going > once in a year? Unless there's some kinda lounge up top that would make it worth spending time up there. 

• Nparker likes this

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:04 AM

I think they're modelling it after Capilano Suspension Bridge. There's lots of activities for all ages and abilities to do there. They make the annual pass cost very attractive and likely you'll make a return visit and maybe bring friends from out of town.

Capilano relies on a large staff of seasonal student labour, just like a ski hill, so it's curious to have Australians educating you on the trees of the BC coastal rainforest. I'm sure the skywalk will employ people closer to home.

#59 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,292 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:19 AM

I can see the skywalk having labour supply issues. just like the aerie always did.

but yes if you can make the annual pass attractive enough - like Butchart - you will bring friends.

#60 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:45 AM

Annual pass option seems weird... I can't imagine going > once in a year? Unless there's some kinda lounge up top that would make it worth spending time up there. 

Agreed. That is more expensive than an annual pass to Butchart which has a heck of a lot more to do and see.

I am sure that if they run out of money the FN will simply ask the Government for more.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users