Photo

Malahat Skywalk

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#81 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:16 AM

Speaking with some contractors who have done work on the current attraction, apparently there are extended plans for more attractions to be attached to the Skywalk attraction (presumably similar to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, which is actually a lot more than just the bridge).

Future development aside, my contractor buddies tell me that the actual chap who is behind this (along with the Malahat Nation) is no stranger to developing large scale tourist attractions.

Let's hope this attraction gets some sort of transit access. Wouldn't want people thinking this place was catering to the car crowd...

#82 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

Let's hope this attraction gets some sort of transit access. Wouldn't want people thinking this place was catering to the car crowd...

Being 30 clicks from downtown, and at the top of a mountain ... I'd say it's a pretty safe bet this attraction is indeed catering to the car crowd!

I suppose there will be tour buses one could take if one didn't own a car ... but in broad terms, and based on the size of their parking lot - I'd say it's most definitely intended to be a vehicle destination.

#83 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 05:24 PM

The T/C article runs counter to what the buzz is regarding future construction on the site (granted, it's just "buzz", nothing concrete).

Speaking with some contractors who have done work on the current attraction, apparently there are extended plans for more attractions to be attached to the Skywalk attraction (presumably similar to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, which is actually a lot more than just the bridge).

Future development aside, my contractor buddies tell me that the actual chap who is behind this (along with the Malahat Nation) is no stranger to developing large scale tourist attractions.

Interesting you mentioned that, I was thinking that same thing today in that they could create quite the experience.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:38 AM

There is no merge lane from the Skywalk. Ie, departing vehicles just launch into the travel lane. This is very, very, -very- dangerous. I had a pick-up squeeze in in front of me, requiring me to slow right down. It’s an underwear changing moment when you look in your rear-view and the semi behind you is coming up fast.

This needs to be resolved. It’s unacceptable to have no merge lane into freeway traffic.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:51 AM

Since when is the Malahat a freeway? I don't think there are merge lanes most of the intersections up there, are there?

For instance, just down the road at the intersection for the Aerie & Victoria Fish & Game, southbound traffic gets routed into a travel lane that's just about to end, and northbound traffic goes directly into a travel lane.

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:14 AM

I did not mean it literally. 90km/h is fast enough for me.

The Aerie doesn’t have 450,000 entires and exits in one (exits) direction per annum.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:58 AM

I did not mean it literally. 90km/h is fast enough for me.

The Aerie doesn’t have 450,000 entires and exits in one (exits) direction per annum.

The Government will pay for it fear not. They already bought and then gave away the land what is another few million?!

#88 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:57 PM

hubby drove past today, he found that turn off onto the highway horrible with the lack of merge lane, it looked like there has already been at least one accident... why was the traffic leaving not even considered...

#89 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:16 PM

^ Yeah basically it is a stop sign with a right hand turn to get onto the highway, not even a small merge area. No access coming south at all.

#90 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,290 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:27 PM

is it possible a small merge area is worse than none at all? might give a false hope.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#91 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 05:39 PM

We took one for the team today as we have not seen any first hand experiences on this thread. Our visit to the Skywalk was surprisingly delightful. The staff appeared ample and organized. The facilities were well kept and appeared sufficient for the number of customers.

Click on the photos to enlarge.

62FAC4A4-E7A0-4F11-9371-7141FA34CA7C.jpeg

The view from the top is what we locals might expect. The attraction was well stocked with tourists so there were a lot of cell phones snapping pics of what we take for granted. Here is a shot of the peninsula.

D02234D6-5CCC-40E3-8397-C993A0E8B03C.jpeg

There were two lineups for the slide, one to pick up your magic carpet (it looked like a giant slipper when you stick your feet and legs in) and the other lineup was a a number of floors above where you enter a totally enclosed steel tube. It was a bit cool today especially with the breeze so we passed on the slide when we saw the lengths of the lineups and the sign suggesting a one hour wait.

B538231D-9C25-4EF6-B926-539CC8AE9913.jpeg

At the top there was this mesh area where you could walk out on. (Don’t look down if you are afraid of heights) That was kind of fun. The structure also swayed a little that you could feel when on the top elevation.

3F39E53D-7B8F-40C6-B68E-F45AC1289646.jpeg

The elevated walkway is somewhat substantial and winds you through the forest from the ticket facility to the attraction. That was almost as interesting as the Skywalk itself. You can return via the walkway or on a nice ground path on the forest floor.

FF503EE4-BA5B-4222-A763-F6DA92CB1B87.jpeg

All in all I give it 4.5 stars. The .5 reduction is most likely due to the odour of what must be their sewage treatment plant that stunk to high heaven. It’s the first thing you smell when you arrive and the last thing to water your eyes when you leave. That thing could gag a maggot.

FYI this is no attraction for dogs. It’s tough enough as it is negotiating foot traffic up and foot traffic down with kids and elderly. If you want to spend the day with your dog....go to Clover Point ...there is nobody else there.. (That was a shot)

Oh and Mike was correct when he said that the right turn back onto the highway was not for the faint of heart. Either wait it out for a BIG break in the traffic or you will have your own treatment plant right there in the car.
  • Nparker, grantpalin, DavidSchell and 5 others like this

#92 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,290 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 05:50 PM

great review!

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:52 PM

That was fantastic, Sparky, thank you.

Know it all.

#94 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 August 2021 - 10:23 AM

So, is it worth the $86 for me to take my family? Still seems steep for a walk.  FN art showcased at all? Other things that could attract us?

#95 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:34 PM

Someone will get killed at that exit and then the Government will pay for a stop light or widening at that point.

If it was you or I the configuration as is would never have been approved in the first place.

Edited by spanky123, 23 August 2021 - 12:34 PM.

#96 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,290 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:37 PM

are you saying highway traffic policies were ignored or changed for this particular group?

#97 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:52 PM

I just browsed some reviews, many of them also mentioning the lengthy waits to both get a mat and then to actually slide. The latest one (on both Yelp and TripAdvisor) claims his daughter and wife were injured on the slide and the staff had neither the training nor the first aid supplies to adequately help. No other mentions of the odor though.

#98 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:13 PM

Just keep driving a few miles and the two free scenic stops  are there further up the highway. Better views and also free, 

Edited by Barrrister, 23 August 2021 - 01:34 PM.

• qv likes this

#99 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:59 PM

The .5 reduction is most likely due to the odour of what must be their sewage treatment plant that stunk to high heaven. It’s the first thing you smell when you arrive and the last thing to water your eyes when you leave. That thing could gag a maggot.

I wonder if they have a poorly designed sewage treatment plant (albeit a small one), or a more basic poorly designed septic field?

In that location, it has to be one of the two ... but in either case, "poorly designed" would be the operating language to use.

#100 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 07:03 AM

So, is it worth the $86 for me to take my family? Still seems steep for a walk.  FN art showcased at all? Other things that could attract us?

We didn't see a lot of FN art but there was a few animals made of wood from the forest. There was an wooden eagle in a tree that was quite well done. 

It's hard for me to say whether the attraction would be "worth" it for others. Everyone has their own tastes. It was for us.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users