Photo

Wet'suwet'en; First Nation protests | News and issues

• Please log in to reply
419 replies to this topic

#121 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:55 AM

I'm very interested in knowing what was the last "untouched" Nation in BC. Were there BC peoples in the 20th century with no contact or knowledge of westerners?

#122 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:22 AM

I'm very interested in knowing what was the last "untouched" Nation in BC. Were there BC peoples in the 20th century with no contact or knowledge of westerners?

Contact with westerners none, contact with the Crown there were a number in the north west of BC that did not have interactions till the 1870s.   The Crown was remarkably ignorant about much of the north west into the later 19th century.

Untouched by westerners in BC is not an easy thing to speak about.    Pre-contact BC had a very complex trading structure that stretched from the sea to the prairies and from the Yukon to northern California.   When the fur traders made it to BC they simply became one more group taking part in annual trade fairs held in a number of locations in the interior of BC.   European and Asian trade goods arrived first but by 1800 there had been some degree of direct human contact with members of most First Nations in BC.  One would think they First Nations in and around Fort Nelson would have been last, but they were connected to the prairie fur trade relatively early, there was an HBC post in Fort St John as of 1794 with the NWC opening Fort St James in 1805 and the HBC opening Hudson's Hope in 1806.

Till 1859 first nations in BC relationship with Europeans was an economic one, a very two way relationship that was much more complex than most people expect.

• Rob Randall likes this

#123 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

Friday is a Pro-D day too. 

#124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

Friday is a Pro-D day too. 

So I guess minors will be used as pawns by the protesters now too.

#125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

Traffic, Other Disruptions Anticipated In Friday, February 14th Protests

Victoria, BC – Officers are alerting the public that traffic and other disruptions are anticipated on Friday, February 14th as additional protest actions have been announced.

Protesters have announced that they plan to blockade public buildings in Victoria on Friday. During previous protest incidents, protesters have moved without warning to blockade intersections, public roads and bridges. Officers and resources are being deployed in anticipation of these actions.

Our primary duty is public safety. Our goal is to keep everyone safe. During protest incidents officers work to continuously balance the right to safe, peaceful, lawful protest with our duty to protect the public.

We will work to keep the public informed of events during these protest incidents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

...officers work to continuously balance the right to safe, peaceful, lawful protest with our duty to protect the public...

Lawful is the key word here, and much of the protest action to date has been anything but.

#127 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

A lot of government workers in Victoria are in a position to work from home tomorrow so this will not have the impact that I think they think it will have

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:40 PM

The bigger concern is what will happen when that impact isn't felt at the government buildings and they decide to start closing down streets ...again.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:47 PM

A lot of government workers in Victoria are in a position to work from home tomorrow...

The point is they shouldn't have to work from home. Everyone should have the right to safely attend their place of work free of threat of harassment or intimidation.

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#130 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

The left has deep, somber respect for religion and spirituality. As long as its not whites.

Also, how is blocking energy projects that provide thousands of blue collar jobs "socially equitable"? This is why the left is so lost in the woods at present. They have totally forgotten about the working people they are supposed to represent

I raise an eyebrow at all religions equally, but I self-identify as being on the right side of left.
  • rjag likes this

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

Consequences have to be more than words without action.

Activists opposed to the construction of the Coastal GasLink pipeline in northern B.C. are organizing rallies and blockades at dozens of government offices in Victoria starting Friday morning...B.C. Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says the government is aware of the planned shutdown and is working with police to ensure the safety of government workers. "If people engage in activities that cross lines of what is the norm in our society then there will be consequences," Farnworth told media at the legislature Thursday. "I expect the law to be fully enforced."...

https://www.iheartra...ices-1.10567694

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

Via Rail cancels trains nationwide, CN shuts down Eastern Canadian network as Indigenous protests continue

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tdown-1.5463266

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 February 2020 - 03:00 PM.

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

The Evan Solomon show today featured an anti-gaslink protestor who thought she was protesting against an oil pipeline.
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#134 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

Via Rail cancels trains nationwide, CN shuts down Eastern Canadian network as Indigenous protests continue..

This cannot be allowed to continue. All levels of government have to do what is in the best interest of the majority of Canadians.

#135 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

The Evan Solomon show today featured an anti-gaslink protestor who thought she was protesting against an oil pipeline.

typical.

it's a 48-inch pipe that's going to carry natural gas.  if it ruptures just about nothing happens. 

we are truly insane in this country.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 February 2020 - 03:09 PM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

You wouldn’t think it was insane if you believed, to the bottom of your heart, that if a gas line ruptures oil spills.
  • Daveyboy, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#137 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

stranding 5k people downtown this afternoon:

All West Coast Express trains from Waterfront to Mission cancelled due to protest blockades

Protesters have been blocking the tracks on the Pitt River rail bridge.  Railway police advised the cancellation of all services for the rest of today. Commuters are advised to use SkyTrain and bus instead.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 February 2020 - 03:34 PM.

#138 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

stranding 5k people downtown [Vancouver] this afternoon...

This is really not going to get the public on the side of the protesters.

#139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:37 PM

On Thursday, Isitt spoke to CHEK, reiterating that he did not see any altercations between supporters of hereditary chiefs of the Wet’suwet’en Nation and B.C. government staff.

“I think if we look at protests, frequently they’re overwhelmingly non-violent and that was the case on Tuesday. If I look at my phone, it says I walked 16 kilometres around that building, around eight-and-a-half hours. And I didn’t observe any instance of an altercation between the demonstrators and the legislative officials,” Isitt said.

Isitt said he did see Victoria police officers pushing their way into the crowd.

“I later saw some video that showed some officers manhandling a gentleman and taking him to the ground. And I later spoke with legal observers — there was a team of 20 legal observers that the Indigenous youth had organized — and they confirmed that they have documentation in writing and video of any altercation.”

Isitt said when non-violent protests happen, the media and police often try to “frame it as a violent protest.”

“I think it’s deceptive. It misrepresents the facts and so I chose to call it out as fake news,” Isitt said.

https://www.cheknews...-police-646195/

#140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

Isitt will be on with Adam Stirling at 9AM tomorrow. This will not be a segment to miss.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users