• LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

Gorge-Community-building-2.jpg

Gorge-Community-building-1.jpg

Citified profile: https://victoria.cit...alt-gorge-park/

Japanese-styled community building coming to Esquimalt Gorge Park

https://victoria.cit...alt-gorge-park/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,036 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:26 AM

Interesting looking building but who will staff this building to make it available to be used by the community?   Is this intended to be a community centre?  Is there demand for the use of this space?   

I have been regularly using this park for 15 years and I have not heard of any thoughts or ideas for putting anything like this in the neighbourhood.  I can only find this in the OCP 

Policy Develop plans for new facilities and park infrastructure at Esquimalt Gorge Park.

The OCP was adopted in 2018.

This feels like a project that is being considered because there is free money to use to build it.   Is this the most important thing for Esquimalt could be doing with the money?

• Nparker and RFS like this

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

Now the $1 billion sewage treatment project makes fiscal sense.  -_-

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:09 PM

Interesting looking building but who will staff this building to make it available to be used by the community?   Is this intended to be a community centre?  Is there demand for the use of this space?   

I have been regularly using this park for 15 years and I have not heard of any thoughts or ideas for putting anything like this in the neighbourhood.  I can only find this in the OCP 

The OCP was adopted in 2018.

This feels like a project that is being considered because there is free money to use to build it.   Is this the most important thing for Esquimalt could be doing with the money?

It's part of the "McLoughlin Amenity Fund Agreement" consultation and design work, which has been ongoing since 2017. Three potential projects were brought forward in October for consideration by COuncil: a multi-purpose facility at Esquimalt Gorge Park, a fenced dog park at Esquimalt Gorge Park, and an elevated waterfront boardwalk at Saxe Point Park.

The terms of the agreement limit Esquimalt to using the funds for parks, recreation, community, and public safety purposes.

Edited by Jackerbie, 06 March 2020 - 12:09 PM.

#5 RFS

RFS
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

The dog park and elevated waterfront boardwalk would have both been way more useful and less costly long term

#6 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

^ To clarify, all three projects were brought forward for approval. There's $17M in the pot, and this pavilion is only $6M it looks like

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,393 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:20 PM

^ To clarify, all three projects were brought forward for approval. There's $17M in the pot, and this pavilion is only $6M it looks like

Correct, all are going ahead. Could care less about the dog park as there are others in the region and sadly we sent ours to dog heaven 6 months ago, but I love the idea of an elevated walkway at Saxe Point. This facility looks like it'll be interesting to see what sorts of events can or will be hosted there. Nice design.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 56,217 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

This’ll be good. All sorts of organizations can apply to use the space for meetings, receptions, etc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users