Local businesses permanently closed amid 2020 COVID-19 crisis

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#361 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:13 PM

^Their front door has been open for phone orders but today there were open for limited dine-in service.

You didn't need to phone just show up but I get that this has changed to in room dining now. 

• Matt R. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#362 adubbz

adubbz
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:50 AM

I know of lots of businesses that have closed and will likely not re-open. It is not up to me to post their names here however. That is up to the owners, they deserve that respect.

5-6 years ago I posted that a lot of businesses were in the home run stretch and that this would be their last inning. Businesses that had done well over an extended period of time, pocketed some cash and were looking for an exit strategy. For many this is going to be it. Even if they survive the extended shut down, it is not going to be worth the time, effort and money to rebuild again when they already have their nest egg and recovery is looking to be years or decades out. 

I had a pub owning friend tell me they really don't know what to do and are considering closing the restaurant and converting to a HUGE liquor store. Say it's basically not possible to try and fit into the 'new normal'. 

• Mike K., Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#363 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:11 AM

We've had things from the Dutch Bakery for a couple of weeks. They are one place I will support. I saw a photo of the dining area on Facebook. Tables are very spaced out now, no counter seating.

#364 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:30 AM

big car rental firm enters bankruptcy:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ental-1.5581850

that sure hertz.

The firm, whose largest shareholder is billionaire investor Carl Icahn, is reeling from government orders restricting travel and requiring citizens to remain home. A large portion of Hertz's revenue comes from car rentals at airports, which have all but evaporated as potential customers eschew plane travel.

With nearly $19 billion US of debt and roughly 38,000 employees worldwide as of the end of 2019, Hertz is among the largest companies to be undone by the pandemic. The public health crisis has also caused a cascade of bankruptcies or Chapter 11 preparations among companies dependent on consumer demand, including retailers, restaurants and oil and gas firms.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 May 2020 - 02:31 AM.

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:05 PM

I’m hearing some chatter about Paul’s not re-opening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:38 PM

It’s not reopening. Didn't we cover this already?

Matt.

I am talking about Paul’s Diner, is the hotel closed or is the province buying it?

Edited by Matt R., 24 May 2020 - 08:39 PM.

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

Did we? I had not heard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#368 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

Paul's Diner not reopening is a loss.  I have lots of memories there with my parents.

#369 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

Swiss chalet is closed for good - not sure if it had been mentioned.

#370 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:33 PM

Swiss chalet is closed for good - not sure if it had been mentioned.

Aren’t they still operating?

#371 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:34 PM

Nope. Landlord changed the locks on them overnight a couple-few weeks back.

#372 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

Wow I didn’t realize that. We go pick up every once in a while (Including once since the start of the virus) and they always looked really busy.
  • GetLisaSomeHelps likes this

#373 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

Irish Times opened back up today, and the patio was instantly (but spaciously) packed with thirsty folks.

It's good to see the the entire town isn't completely consumed by fear.

I was at Best Buy today, and they were allowing maybe a total of 15-20 people at a time into the store, which (if you know how large Best Buy is) pretty much makes for not even seeing, let alone bumping into any other shoppers. But the half hour line-up to get in was a bit much, and had me thinking that folks aren't going to put up with this type of "hurry up and wait" to give us your money for much longer. 

It might be different if there were an abundance of active cases on the Island, but there's apparently still none.

I try to support local businesses, but the half hour wait to purchase a $10.00 item from Home Depot (or Cdn. Tire, or wherever) will definitely have me taking the easy way out and simply ordering those ten or twenty dollar items off Amazon.

I think a lot of businesses are going to have to re-think things to the point of accepting that stores like Best Buy can accommodate perhaps 100 - 150 people, some of whom will be wearing masks, and all of whom will be stepping aside if they happen to get too close to another "bubble". 

It seems a bit overbearing to have the kids at Best Buy make you wait half an hour to an hour, and then ask you if "you've been out of country, or had a fever or cold in the past 14 days".

It doesn't really accomplish anything, and as a consumer who doesn't want to devote an entire day to purchasing a couple of items totalling $50.00 or so ... it's simply not sustainable - for the businesses or for me as the consumer.

It was interesting, while dropping by Mayfair Mall, to find half of the stores still closed up tight as they were from mid-March, some with absolutely no indication that they had a re-opening plan ... some shops with no more recent paperwork on their front doors that that which they first put up over two months ago. 

These folks obviously don't have any sort of re-opening strategy, and I certainly can't see their future as being very secure if they at least haven't begun to court their customers back into the stores with some sort of news as to when they think they'll be re-opening.

What I saw today taken as a whole is mildly positive, but nowhere near close to where the media and general chatter about town would have you believe things are at in terms of starting to return to normal. Indeed, I'd say that things were still anything but normal, and to see a full patio at Irish Times was but a tiny glimmer in an otherwise still generally shuttered town.

#374 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:39 PM

It seems a bit overbearing to have the kids at Best Buy make you wait half an hour to an hour, and then ask you if "you've been out of country, or had a fever or cold in the past 14 days".

It doesn't really accomplish anything, and as a consumer who doesn't want to devote an entire day to purchasing a couple of items totalling $50.00 or so ... it's simply not sustainable - for the businesses or for me as the consumer.

OMG - will definitely not being going to Best Buy with that gong show. Was next on my list - need a new printer. Went to Staples today - just walked in, no line up, no questioning. Usual size crowd for Staples when it isn't back to school time - maybe a dozen customers?

• lanforod likes this

#375 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

OMG - will definitely not being going to Best Buy with that gong show. Was next on my list - need a new printer. Went to Staples today - just walked in, no line up, no questioning. Usual size crowd for Staples when it isn't back to school time - maybe a dozen customers?

Yes, I think if you avoid the Best Buy, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Sport Check type of store (basically the biggest of the big box stores) and focus on the Staples, London Drugs, etc types of facilities ... you'll usually be ushered right in with no wait. I've certainly never waited even a second at the Tillicum London Drugs ... and that includes all visits in the past two months.

What I did notice though, is that stock in electronics and specialty equipment and tools is quite low in most stores, in some cases the lowest I've ever seen it.

This would presumably be the stores keeping their overhead down by intentionally keeping inventory low when business is still only half (or less) than what it was before March.

#376 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:24 PM

Canadian Tire is only a line up if you go to Hillside. 

#377 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:35 PM

Canadian Tire is only a line up if you go to Hillside. 

They have line ups at all stores if they are busy.

#378 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:38 PM

suggest also staying away from homesense every time i have gone past that store there is a line around the block to go in.. personally i don't know what could be driving the customers in to the store in droves like that... (they only sell household goods not even clothing items) and right beside it DSW no lines well organized, great sales (even good sales on mens shoes)

Value Village is back open, change rooms closed usual set ups around tills (spacing plexiglass, staff wearing visors)  not too sure if they are tracking numbers in and out (no line up)

#379 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:44 PM

What I saw today taken as a whole is mildly positive, but nowhere near close to where the media and general chatter about town would have you believe things are at in terms of starting to return to normal. Indeed, I'd say that things were still anything but normal, and to see a full patio at Irish Times was but a tiny glimmer in an otherwise still generally shuttered town.

There is always an element of wishing thinking in any business community. What I have seen over the past week is similar. Yes it is getting busier but very slowly so. Most people, especially those above 55, are wary and not willing to take a chance.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the last CERB cheque goes out on the 7th.

#380 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:50 PM

They have line ups at all stores if they are busy.

haven't seen one at Broadmead yet. I suppose it could happen. No one counting either when i went in, though maybe thats changed, its been a couple weeks.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users