Local businesses permanently closed amid 2020 COVID-19 crisis

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#421 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

do the operators take the bus to work now?  :)

I haven't dialled "0" for at least two decades (possibly much longer) ... are there even still actual human operators working for Telus?

I suspect it's more an endless loop of recordings ... "push #1 if you're in Victoria" or "push 7 if you would like that number repeated" ... or do you even get an answer if you dial "0" these days?

#422 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:30 PM

I’m afraid to try but what a trip! I forgot that we once upon a time did that!

Oh btw, did you get a chance to see if Flight Centre is still on Broughton?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#423 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:46 PM

From my walk to my office, I could see that their signage was still up, but I didn't have an opportunity today to actually walk down to their storefront and look into their windows (because I didn't have a chance to go out on a useless search for a decent sandwich for lunch today). 

I'm back to the office tomorrow, so I'll make a point of heading down and looking in their windows ... it appears the stars are lining up to put me back in my office downtown rather than working from my office at home. Oh well - back to showering and shaving every day rather than every second (or third) day :)

• Mike K., jasmineshinga and Victoria Watcher like this

#424 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:50 PM

hate to add to your workload but can you give us the lowdown on some other storefronts that appear to not be re-opening?  

#425 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:55 PM

If it's not raining, I'll do a two or three block walk and take pix of empty stores ... presumably those that are gone for good unless there's signage in the window indicating that they're just regrouping for an eventual return.

Maybe I'll find a decent sandwich while I'm on my stroll.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:09 PM

Excellent.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#427 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:15 PM

then maybe on thursday take a longer lunch and go a bit further for us.   :1954_dancing:

#428 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:34 PM

Lore General Store (on Government St near Johnson) appears to have gone online only. There's contact info in the window to sublease the space from them. They'd been open since 2016.

#429 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

After 15 years of cutting hair and beautifying brides, Tofino business owner Rhonda Graham will not be re-opening her lifestyle salon Cedar & Rose.

Graham said the realities she is now faced with due to the new regulations and guidelines brought on by COVID-19 makes it “feel impossible to make ends meet.”

“I’m just done struggling to be honest. When the pandemic started, I knew this was probably going to be the end of my business,” said Graham, who had re-branded her beauty parlour as Cedar & Rose in the fall.

“Only being able to operate at a smaller capacity that we are used to just to give space and for cleaning purposes, it would take a lot to recoup what we have lost,” said Graham.

What’s more, Graham told the Westerly she lost 90 per cent of her bridal bookings for summer 2020. During Tofino’s busy summer months, Graham and her team of beauticians would normally have had an appointment with a bride almost every day.

“We rely on [the wedding industry] to get us through the winter months. Even when we do have a super successful busy summer it’s still a bit of a struggle through the winter,” she said, adding the timing of the early spring pandemic closures was devastating.

https://www.vicnews....io-closes-shop/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 June 2020 - 09:30 AM.

#430 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:34 AM

Is the Mega-Mart on Gorge Road open? I'm really curious to check out this place.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#431 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:43 AM

Flight Centre @ Saanich Centre is gone. Signage and everything taken off the building 

#432 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:55 AM

Flight Centre @ Saanich Centre is gone. Signage and everything taken off the building 

Hearing that Flight Centre is closing all of their outlets.

#433 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:25 PM

I'm pretty sure i've seen people in the Mayfair and Tillicum Flight Centres in the last week or so.

I did get a look in the downtown Flight Centre windows the other day as well, and everything is still in place, brochures, desks with phones on them, coffee cups, etc. 

The doors aren't unlocked yet, but there's no physical indication that any permanent shut down is on the horizon.

#434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:27 PM

That’s the Broughton one, right spy?

Know it all.

#435 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:12 PM

Right, the Broughton site is neither open, nor shows any obvious signs of going away yet.

• Mike K. likes this

#436 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:33 PM

The Tillicum location is not open today but has a “temporarily closed” sign taped

#437 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:39 PM

nothing online about it going out of business nationally.

#438 jsan

jsan
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:38 PM

I received this as part of a customer email from Flight Center. They will be closing many physical locations.

“We know that you love and appreciate the personal experience you get with our trusted travel experts. And so do we. Through recent ‘remote work’ directives, we’ve come to understand that these relationships can be maintained and nurtured, even while in a remote environment and are not reliant on a physical shop or face-to-face meeting. 

In our new look retail business, we will be leveraging this newfound freedom for our people and customers. Our shop network will look different with fewer physical locations across the country.

I’d like you to know that even through this change, we are still here to help. You will continue to be able to contact our consultants in one of our shops and through a network of remote workers equipped with improved technology to serve you from wherever you, or we, may be. We will be there for you where and when you need us - in-person, over the phone, by email, chat and virtual video-consultation from wherever you may be.”

#439 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:14 PM

Ah, very good. Thank you!
  • jsan likes this

Know it all.

#440 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

Coast Collective, an art gallery and seminar space on Wale Road in Colwood, is closing permanently.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users