Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#1981 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:22 PM

Apparently 800,000 people are going to be looking for jobs over the next several months. Pathetic waste of $27B but at least the current form of the CRB program is coming to an end. 

Internal government analysis shows depth of reliance on now-defunct recovery benefit - Todayville

#1982 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:04 PM

https://superu.net/v...VTWaLGsX1zzs0LM

cross posting as this needs to be seen 

TFord 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1983 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:47 PM

https://superu.net/v...VTWaLGsX1zzs0LM

cross posting as this needs to be seen

TFord

Modern day hero IMO
  • TFord likes this

#1984 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:59 AM

Party is over. BOC forced to end QE and start to raise interest rates as inflation spikes.

https://financialpos...st-rate-ends-qe

#1985 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:34 AM

Modern day hero IMO

Modern Day Loser it more like it. He references his ‘own research’ on the safety of vaccines, is supposedly a RCMP sniper protecting the Prime Minister yet in response to a question about the PM’s statement that all federal employees must be vaccinated he states that it makes him ‘angry..a little bit resentful, concerned and sad for the direction this country is headed’. Yah, ok then, he’s the right guy to have a rifle in his hand from a rooftop.. and oops, accidentally knocks off the PM instead. But he knows he won’t get vaccinated so he’s speaking out now hoping to get fired for this interview and emerge as a martyr. No one is forcing him to get vaccinated, but these nut job conspiracy theorists need something to fight against to feed their sense of self-importance.

The comments section in that link are entertaining as always:

“They are now saying The Injection is a mind-altering and mind-controlling 5G Nano Robot APP Injection that will take 8 Injections to build and complete it, that's why many who got it are acting so crazy Hospitals - cops - government - schools are all mind controlled and no longer normal people as you can clearly see. The unVaxxed are not acting crazy like them as you also can clearly see.”

This ‘hero’ rose quite quickly in the RCMP despite being having a small role in the death of a First Nations man in the Yukon:

“ Finding No. 2: Constable Van Marck and Constable Bulford failed to obtain documentation from EMS certifying that Mr. Silverfox was fit for incarceration, failed to complete the section of the Prisoner Report dealing with EMS examination, and failed to make detailed notes to that effect as required by policy.”

https://www.crcc-cce...ustody-death-mr

Mike and mods - are there any plans to upgrade the software so we can block certain members posts? I’m getting tired of reading crap posts from TFord and others. Yes, I could ignore them, but I’d rather not have to wade through the mud as it’s getting knee deep in here some days.

Edited by zoomer, 27 October 2021 - 10:34 AM.

• vortoozo, Brayvehart and m3m like this

#1986 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:47 AM

You can block members in your settings. But I dunno, it's more beneficial for us all to keep having conversations rather than silencing people who don't want to hear from.

For example, I just saw the sniper expose in a new light, because of your post. I think I will agree with most of what you're saying, and I didn't see it the way you described it yesterday. That's the power of engagement.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1987 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:00 AM

Party is over. BOC forced to end QE and start to raise interest rates as inflation spikes.

https://financialpos...st-rate-ends-qe

I see stuff like this as fear campaigns for mortgage holders to lock in variable rates, and blend existing rates, effectively prolonging their terms for another five years with their current bank.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1988 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:06 AM

Stories abound of workers who simply had enough – say, the stressed-out waiter who turned a passion project into a small business, or the overworked lawyer who quit to recharge, indulge in hobbies and spend time with family. Some commentators have dubbed it the “Great Resignation,” a collective rush for the workplace exits.

But those anecdotes, while true, don’t add up to much of a trend in Canada – at least, not yet. There is little evidence to suggest that people here are resigning en masse. Instead, it appears that Canadians are exercising some caution as the economy recovers from the worst shock in generations.

“It doesn’t look like we’ve seen a huge wave of resignations,” said Brendon Bernard, senior economist at job-search portal Indeed Canada. “We don’t have any hard data in Canada to really show that there’s a sustained upswing in employed workers voluntarily leaving their jobs – at least more so than normal times.”

There are several metrics pointing to that conclusion.

https://www.theglobe...ning-in-canada/

#1989 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:11 AM

Those will come when the 10% who refuse to get vaccinated deliver. The Globe piece is setting the stage for pointing back to how resignations were never a problem, the unvaxxed were/are the real labour problem. So it’s flipping the narrative, where staying home and getting government dollars was good. Working but not getting vaxxed is bad.

Know it all.

#1990 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:17 AM

Those will come when the 10% who refuse to get vaccinated deliver. 

but it's becoming quite clear that where vaccinations are mandated now (healthcare) the uptake is 97% plus.  a 3% loss is not great, but there is always a certain amount of attrition.  

look closely at those 3% and it might be either the young and talented (that can find other jobs easy) or those taking early retirement etc. 

HERE is a story that says indeed mandates work:

https://penntoday.up...-vaccine-uptake

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2021 - 11:20 AM.

#1991 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:22 AM

You can block members in your settings. But I dunno, it's more beneficial for us all to keep having conversations rather than silencing people who don't want to hear from.

For example, I just saw the sniper expose in a new light, because of your post. I think I will agree with most of what you're saying, and I didn't see it the way you described it yesterday. That's the power of engagement.

What light did you previously see the sniper expose in?

Anyways, there is no engaging with conspiracy theorists, they only harden their opinion. Other than Covid deathbed conversions has anyone heard of a single case of a conspiracy theorist changing their opinion when presented with facts or science? Well, there might be a couple of Jan 6th conspiracists who have since recanted or blamed others for deluding them - but only because they face criminal charges.

Side note/question and then I’ll leave it here so we don’t get off topic - is there any interest in limiting the number of posts someone can make in a day? Some forums only allow one search every 60 seconds for example, can the number of post per day be limited to say 20, or even 10? I think we would have better discussions, and mainly there are some people who post so often I feel as if I’m just actually reading their diary where they record every thought that pops into their head. Now about half of those folks I don’t mind seeing 30 posts a day; for example, Aastra having conversations with himself, quoting himself and bringing back posts from decades ago is quite amusing - others less so. And he’s likely only posting at a 7.8 per day rate, so he needs to work on that.

#1992 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:25 AM

They work because we’re being told they work. Right now BC is short an additional 4,000 healthcare workers. Those are the sorts of numbers that change stock trading patterns on the open market.

And on the open market airlines shut down over mandates.

Know it all.

#1993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:27 AM

What light did you previously see the sniper expose in?

I didn’t consider a person’s personality and how it relates to decision making. Some people do not work well under conditions where they are given ultimatums. For all we know the sniper’s issue is more about him not letting go of a directive, than it is about a vaccine, and I had not considered that before.

Know it all.

#1994 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:32 AM

They work because we’re being told they work. Right now BC is short an additional 4,000 healthcare workers. Those are the sorts of numbers that change stock trading patterns on the open market.

And on the open market airlines shut down over mandates.

Except there are 135,000 healthcare workers in BC.  so while 4,000 sounds big, it's really not.  especially if some part-timers (24% of the workers) can move to longer hours etc.

now here is a real staff shortage:

VicPD says 39 of its 249 officers are currently unable to respond to calls for reasons that include physical and psychological injuries. An additional 17 officers are in training.

https://www.timescol...g-units-4692579

1.5 million adults in BC do not even work.  adding another 4,000 is not really a serious issue.  and don't forget, some will come back.  either soon or after pandemic measures are eased. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2021 - 11:37 AM.

#1995 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:39 AM

I stopped at the part where the sniper said he was opposed to anything that takes away bodily autonomy, just after the bit where he was totally happy to have the yellow fever vaccine pas to go where he needed to go for work.  Should I keep watching or is it all stupid from there on?

• Mike K., zoomer, Matt R. and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1996 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:54 AM

Modern Day Loser it more like it. He references his ‘own research’ on the safety of vaccines, is supposedly a RCMP sniper protecting the Prime Minister yet in response to a question about the PM’s statement that all federal employees must be vaccinated he states that it makes him ‘angry..a little bit resentful, concerned and sad for the direction this country is headed’. Yah, ok then, he’s the right guy to have a rifle in his hand from a rooftop.. and oops, accidentally knocks off the PM instead. But he knows he won’t get vaccinated so he’s speaking out now hoping to get fired for this interview and emerge as a martyr. No one is forcing him to get vaccinated, but these nut job conspiracy theorists need something to fight against to feed their sense of self-importance.

The comments section in that link are entertaining as always:

“They are now saying The Injection is a mind-altering and mind-controlling 5G Nano Robot APP Injection that will take 8 Injections to build and complete it, that's why many who got it are acting so crazy Hospitals - cops - government - schools are all mind controlled and no longer normal people as you can clearly see. The unVaxxed are not acting crazy like them as you also can clearly see.”

This ‘hero’ rose quite quickly in the RCMP despite being having a small role in the death of a First Nations man in the Yukon:

“ Finding No. 2: Constable Van Marck and Constable Bulford failed to obtain documentation from EMS certifying that Mr. Silverfox was fit for incarceration, failed to complete the section of the Prisoner Report dealing with EMS examination, and failed to make detailed notes to that effect as required by policy.”

https://www.crcc-cce...ustody-death-mr

Mike and mods - are there any plans to upgrade the software so we can block certain members posts? I’m getting tired of reading crap posts from TFord and others. Yes, I could ignore them, but I’d rather not have to wade through the mud as it’s getting knee deep in here some days.

Calm down! I think we are still allowed to have different opinions aren’t we?

We don’t live in a world of absolutes, so it’s important to consider everything. People are free to make up their own minds. No one owns the truth in such a complex world.

It’s easy enough to see how often and how seriously governments throughout history - and we don’t have to go back far in history- have got things terribly wrong, despite often good intentions.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1997 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:19 PM

We don’t live in a world of absolutes, so it’s important to consider everything. People are free to make up their own minds. No one owns the truth in such a complex world.

It’s easy enough to see how often and how seriously governments throughout history - and we don’t have to go back far in history- have got things terribly wrong, despite often good intentions.

Personal health and the the health of others is not really about opinions...  I don't want to use driving policies and laws as a comparison (while he can have his opinions on those they don't matter) but that sniper has likely taken many vaccines through his life and is also subject to many orders over his career as well..  This is another order...  His line of work he doesn't get to have an opinion, only follows instructions or he gets to find another job.  I'm sure he will have many offers.     When was the last time a Prime Minister's sniper fire in the line of duty?  I think as you go back in history, with respect to governments, there has been a lot of good too, potentially a lower amount of deaths from Covid-19 actually.

Edited by Ismo07, 27 October 2021 - 12:27 PM.

• zoomer likes this

#1998 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:28 PM

Actually there are tons of absolutes in this world. Gravity, the speed of light and the fact that the vaccine doesn’t contain mind controlling nanobots - or do you disagree?

A girl is No one - do you believe that the world wide vaccine strategy is a coordinated attempt at mind control? Do you believe the vaccine is designed to kill everyone who gets it or to control their mind? This is a lot of what TFord shares along with other conspiracy theorists.

Why do you believe the sniper is a modern day hero? Lots of people who don’t want to be vaccinated are speaking out - so why is this guy a hero? If anything the real expose is how was such a person allowed to be in situations where he has a high powered scope rifle and be positioned above the PM with a clear shot to kill him? I’m sorry, but when you’re in a Prime Minister or President’s security detail there is zero room for people with strong political/social opinions. They need to function as effectively and unbiased as precision machines - you can’t hope they won’t be influenced by their strongly held views - for example, this guy is ‘angry’ at the PM. The fact that he did an ‘expose interview’ with a conspiracy theory website shows he is a ‘clear and present danger’ in his current role.

Was there no inkling of his opinions or political leanings prior to this? Does the RCMP not do extensive and ongoing screening of people in the most crucial security role in the country? The second anyone in that role expressed any hesitancy in getting vaccinated they should have been reassigned immediately. Yes, public servants can have strongly held opinions or views, but not the guy with the rifle in his hands overlooking the PM.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#1999 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:33 PM

I see stuff like this as fear campaigns for mortgage holders to lock in variable rates, and blend existing rates, effectively prolonging their terms for another five years with their current bank.

I doubt that. Raising interest rates is a major blow for the Feds. Each 25 basis points is going to add about $4B to the annual deficit and increase debt payments for an already overextended public. It was that or having inflation continuing to increase. 

#2000 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:35 PM

Actually there are tons of absolutes in this world. Gravity, the speed of light and the fact that the vaccine doesn’t contain mind controlling nanobots - or do you disagree?

A girl is No one - do you believe that the world wide vaccine strategy is a coordinated attempt at mind control? Do you believe the vaccine is designed to kill everyone who gets it or to control their mind? This is a lot of what TFord shares along with other conspiracy theorists.

Why do you believe the sniper is a modern day hero? Lots of people who don’t want to be vaccinated are speaking out - so why is this guy a hero? If anything the real expose is how was such a person allowed to be in situations where he has a high powered scope rifle and be positioned above the PM with a clear shot to kill him? I’m sorry, but when you’re in a Prime Minister or President’s security detail there is zero room for people with strong political/social opinions. They need to function as effectively and unbiased as precision machines - you can’t hope they won’t be influenced by their strongly held views - for example, this guy is ‘angry’ at the PM. The fact that he did an ‘expose interview’ with a conspiracy theory website shows he is a ‘clear and present danger’ in his current role.

Was there no inkling of his opinions or political leanings prior to this? Does the RCMP not do extensive and ongoing screening of people in the most crucial security role in the country? The second anyone in that role expressed any hesitancy in getting vaccinated they should have been reassigned immediately. Yes, public servants can have strongly held opinions or views, but not the guy with the rifle in his hands overlooking the PM.

There is not much on him actually except for recently being the spokesperson for 'RCMP 4 Freedom'.  He might not have been very political before and has now 'awoken'.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users