• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2041 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:02 AM

Funny how the actual maker of Ivermectin isn't touting its usage as a magic potion for covid....

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2042 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:06 AM

Ivermectin doesn't have a 'maker' per-se, it is a generic drug sold under many different brand names.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2043 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:08 AM

To be clear, I would not personally use it, nor do I advocate for its use ...at all. I'm just saying it's not a 'horse de-wormer' exclusively, and the media saying so has the hallmarks of a negative marketing effort. Now when this same media is heavily sponsored by Pfizer, which is developing its own variant of the drug, lots of red flags are raised.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2044 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:13 AM

Fundamentally, though, my issue is with the media, which is paid by Pfizer handsomely, calling ivermectin horse de-wormer. That is purposeful, and it has no purpose other than to tarnish the drug. It makes no more sense to call it horse de-wormer than to call ibuprofen arylpropionic acid derivative treatment for K-9s.

That analogy is ridiculous, it would be like someone having toe fungus and giving them ibuprofen along with 7 other remedies and saying that ibuprofen is part of that process now... Have a problem with media all you want but c'mon.. YouTube is better for you lol.  Hard to find info for ivermectin before 2020...  Have a read though from 2017...

Ivermectin: enigmatic multifaceted ‘wonder’ drug continues to surprise and exceed expectations | The Journal of Antibiotics (nature.com)

Today, ivermectin remains a relatively unknown drug, although few, if any, other drugs can rival ivermectin for its beneficial impact on human health and welfare. Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum anti-parasitic agent, primarily deployed to combat parasitic worms in veterinary and human medicine. This unprecedented compound has mainly been used in humans as an oral medication for treating filarial diseases but is also effective against other worm-related infections and diseases, plus several parasite-induced epidermal parasitic skin diseases, as well as insect infestations. It is approved for human use in several countries, ostensibly to treat Onchocerciasis, lymphatic filariasis (also known as Elephantiasis), strongyloidiasis and/or scabies and, very recently, to combat head lice.

Although this is interesting...  When intestinal parasites then maybe...

Effect of co-infection with intestinal parasites on COVID-19 severity: A prospective observational cohort study - EClinicalMedicine (thelancet.com)

Edited by Ismo07, 29 October 2021 - 08:18 AM.

#2045 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:18 AM

No it’s not ridiculous. You’re slanting the narrative, Ismo.

It’s an anti-viral for humans. It is widely known as an anti-malarial drug, too. You’re finding resources to back your opinion, not resources that describe the drug for what it actually is.

Know it all.

#2046 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:20 AM

Anyways, large human trials are now underway for this “horse” medication. We’ll know more not too long from now.

Know it all.

#2047 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:21 AM

Funny how the actual maker of Ivermectin isn't touting its usage as a magic potion for covid....

Merck Statement on Ivermectin use During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Merck.com

#2048 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:22 AM

Again, it’s a generic drug. It has no single maker.

Know it all.

#2049 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:31 AM

If a manufacturer of the drug is saying "don't do this" and you still don't acknowledge it, it's clear that you've buried your head in the sand and will not accept reason/reality.

#2050 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:33 AM

No it’s not ridiculous. You’re slanting the narrative, Ismo.

It’s an anti-viral for humans. It is widely known as an anti-malarial drug. You’re finding resources to back your opinion, not resources that describe the drug for what it actually is.

I didn't slant anything...  You slanted it by saying Ibuprofen is mostly used on dogs lol...  Ivermectin is more really anti-parasitic with minor anti-viral tendencies.. You aren't reading the links...  Anyway you and I shouldn't be arguing the science...  You should be taking Ivermectin for all sorts of things it sounds like.  Take it if you want for Covid as well, so up to you I suppose.  I'm not sure what the hub bub is, but there were people going to equestrian stores and stocking up on the paste.  That is factual and news worthy....  It's also for humans for a number of things but not tested for Covid enough so why take it.  Also love that people have no idea what's in it but still trust it more...

#2051 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:33 AM

^^ :confused:

To be clear, I would not personally use it, nor do I advocate for its use ...at all. I'm just saying it's not a 'horse de-wormer' exclusively, and the media saying so has the hallmarks of a negative marketing effort. Now when this same media is heavily sponsored by Pfizer, which is developing its own variant of the drug, lots of red flags are raised.

Know it all.

#2052 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:34 AM

I didn't slant anything...  You slanted it by saying Ibuprofen is mostly used on dogs lol...

No I didn't. I said nothing of the sort.

Anyways, large ivermectin trials related to COVID-19 are now underway. We will have our results soon.

Know it all.

#2053 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:37 AM

Not in the States and not for human oral consumption.. I think one company makes it but specifically for dogs and another does as well but it's a paste for lice...  Don't take either of those.. Merck is the main...

#2054 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:45 AM

No I didn't. I said nothing of the sort.

Anyways, large ivermectin trials related to COVID-19 are now underway. We will have our results soon.

You suggested that saying Ivermectin is primarily used as a horse medicine is like saying akin to Ibuprofen is primarily used for dogs...  It's not even close, absurd analogy. 99% of non-horse people had no clue what Ivermectin was before April 2020...  It seems all the illnesses that Ivermectin is used for are running rampant...  Kind of like malaria cases when HQ was so popular...

Quote: We'd never call ibuprofen an arylpropionic acid derivative treatment for K-9s, just because a vet gives it to a dog to lower inflammation, but you use it to make a headache go away, right?

Edited by Ismo07, 29 October 2021 - 08:46 AM.

#2055 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:50 AM

I said, specifically, using a drug for veterinary purposes doesn’t make it a veterinary drug.

Ivermectin is currently being prescribed to 100,000 people in the US, says Wikipedia. It’s the 420th most perceived drug.

Anyways, large human trials are now underway to assess COVID efficacy. We should let science learn, right Ismo?

Know it all.

#2056 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 09:08 AM

But  people are buying the version that is formulated for horses, aren't those people literally using horse dewormer? 

• Redd42 and Brayvehart like this

#2057 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 09:19 AM

Yes they are, but dosage and formulation matter. So they’re doing something they shouldn’t be doing without a doctor’s recommendation.

This is why we have paediatricians, because they are experts at doses and formulations for little humans.

In layman’s terms, having a “drink” means having a beer, not a 40oz of vodka. One of those doses will put you in good spirits, the other may severely poison you or kill you.

Know it all.

#2058 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 09:41 AM

I know that. My point is if the media is reporting about people buying the version formulated for use as a horse dewormer, they should be able to call it a horse dewormer. It maybe irresponsible, and not the best reporting, but it's not untrue. 

GHB is often called a date rape drug, but it also has legitimate therapeutic uses when prescribed by a doctor. Is that also a 'negative marketing effort'?

• Brayvehart likes this

#2059 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 09:56 AM

I know that. My point is if the media is reporting about people buying the version formulated for use as a horse dewormer, they should be able to call it a horse dewormer. It maybe irresponsible, and not the best reporting, but it's not untrue. 

It is untrue, when someone like Joe Rogan is prescribed the medication by a doctor, takes a dose intended for human consumption, and is universally maligned by mass media conglomerates as taking horse de-wormer.

But science is learning about this drug's efficacy when it comes to COVID. We will know where we stand very soon.

Know it all.

#2060 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 10:44 AM

I said, specifically, using a drug for veterinary purposes doesn’t make it a veterinary drug.

Ivermectin is currently being prescribed to 100,000 people in the US, says Wikipedia. It’s the 420th most perceived drug.

Anyways, large human trials are now underway to assess COVID efficacy. We should let science learn, right Ismo?

I'm not sure, it depends on how you will read it...  Yes 100,000 people in the US are taking prescribed Ivermectin, the concern was that more than that were taking it in other ways (horse stores were making people show a picture of their horse LOL).  BTW more animals take it than that...  Main use is for animals getting worms..  So that's where the reporting comes from.  It's easy to take out the brutal reporting (although it's mass media's way of telling people not to buy it on their own.)  about it but for whatever reason we accept what YouTubers say...  You can keep telling me that humans use it, I already know that and I'm not suggesting they don't, actually it's used a lot more in other countries.  

Edited by Ismo07, 29 October 2021 - 10:46 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users