COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 09:08 AM

But the question still lingers. What makes it dangerous for a bar to serve alcohol and what makes it not dangerous for a bar at a brewery to serve alcohol? They’re serving the same alcohol, in the same quantities in an identical patron environment. What are we missing here?
  • Matt R., A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2282 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 11:37 AM

One of my Rules For Life that applies to discussing the pandemic is "Don't presume a conspiracy when the phenomenon can be explained by incompetence."

Tasting rooms got missed because officials were making new rules on the fly and forgot to include them. Just like they didn't think about food courts. Just like they ordered gyms closed but have left swimming pools open. Merry Christmas everyone!

• Matt R. and TFord like this

#2283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 11:51 AM

...Tasting rooms got missed because officials were making new rules on the fly and forgot to include them. Just like they didn't think about food courts. Just like they ordered gyms closed but have left swimming pools open. Merry Christmas everyone!

Fast food outlets and food courts were deliberately left out the vaccine mandate as the NDP government believes they cater more to low income people.

Many of the NDP "health" rules are based as much on income/class as they are on science.

• spanky123, A Girl is No one and TFord like this

#2284 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 11:52 AM

It anyone thinks DBH is doing any of this for the money I don’t even know what to say. I doubt she needs more money, and she sure as heck doesn’t need this hassle.

You are right. She is single, has no kids and pulls in $300K+ a year in salary. The few bucks she would make as one of several partners in a small winery wouldn't be material. 

Doesn't change the fact that the optics are bad. 

Edited by spanky123, 25 December 2021 - 11:52 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#2285 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 01:09 PM

Fast food outlets and food courts were deliberately left out the vaccine mandate as the NDP government believes they cater more to low income people.

Many of the NDP "health" rules are based as much on income/class as they are on science.

Got a link for that? It seems the NDP government closed food courts last April (https://bc.ctvnews.c...-risk-1.5377211) and the rules have more to do with whether there's table service or not.

#2286 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 05:20 PM

Fast food were exempted because they provide washrooms and warm places for the street folks.

#2287 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 08:12 PM

Fast food were exempted because they provide washrooms and warm places for the street folks.

In other words, what I said above.

#2288 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 11:08 PM

But the question still lingers. What makes it dangerous for a bar to serve alcohol and what makes it not dangerous for a bar at a brewery to serve alcohol? They’re serving the same alcohol, in the same quantities in an identical patron environment. What are we missing here?

I posed the question, but don’t know the specifics of the manufacturers license these places have but it appears they can only serve pints / full size drinks if they offer meals. One brewery in Sidney gets pizza from a local place and bakes it, Sooke Oceanside has partnered with a food truck, etc.

#2289 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:25 AM

Hmmm, not from what I’ve seen. Tasting rooms I’ve visited sell beer and wine in full size glasses, so 9oz for wine and 20oz for beer, with no food. More are partnering with food trucks as a response to patrons who don’t want to drink on an empty stomach, etc.

This is why this bar ban but not brewery lounge ban is so mysterious.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but it’s hard to believe there isn’t some thought put into this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2290 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:44 AM

The thought is that the politicians want to be seen as doing something but they really dont care if it works or even makes things worse. What else is new,

• phx likes this

#2291 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 11:05 AM

Hmmm, not from what I’ve seen. Tasting rooms I’ve visited sell beer and wine in full size glasses, so 9oz for wine and 20oz for beer, with no food. More are partnering with food trucks as a response to patrons who don’t want to drink on an empty stomach, etc.

This is why this bar ban but not brewery lounge ban is so mysterious.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but it’s hard to believe there isn’t some thought put into this.

I just skimmed the relevant license info, and the lounge endorsement doesn’t seem to say anything about requiring meal service, but I didn’t dive too deep. I totally agree this is a weird one. Last time I was in a tasting room the pours were capped at 50ml or something, literally just for tasting.

#2292 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 11:09 AM

British consumers have largely stayed away from the traditional Boxing Day sales amid concern over the Omicron Covid variant, with visits to high streets, shopping centres and retail parks down more than 45% on pre-pandemic levels, according to industry figures.

Fears over the virus, as well as several key retailers including John Lewis, Marks & Spencer and Next deciding to keep their stores closed, and the traditional bumper shopping day falling on a Sunday this year, all put a dampener on sales.

By lunchtime on Sunday, numbers were only up just over a quarter on last year, when UK high streets were in lockdown, according to the latest data from shopping tracking group Springboard.

https://www.theguard...omicron-variant

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 December 2021 - 11:09 AM.

#2293 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:34 PM

I just skimmed the relevant license info, and the lounge endorsement doesn’t seem to say anything about requiring meal service, but I didn’t dive too deep. I totally agree this is a weird one. Last time I was in a tasting room the pours were capped at 50ml or something, literally just for tasting.

Not to name names but I have been to two tasting rooms over this past summer and both served pints with no food.

• Matt R. likes this

#2294 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 02:58 PM

They all do.

#2295 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 04:30 PM

Right, that’s the way it had been up until a couple of years ago. Now they can operate like liquor primary pubs.

Know it all.

#2296 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 11:52 AM

Right, that’s the way it had been up until a couple of years ago. Now they can operate like liquor primary pubs.

I confirmed that the regs for a manufacturers license with a lounge endorsement requires food to be available in order to serve full sized drinks, like a pub or restaurant does.

No food offered means you have to stick to the smaller size samples that I remember.

There is a bar here that is owned by a restaurant owner. If someone wants food they will order it from their restaurant and deliver it to the patron.

#2297 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 11:54 AM

Not to name names but I have been to two tasting rooms over this past summer and both served pints with no food.

The reg doesn’t say you must order food, only that it be available. Same way someone can come to my place, order two pints and not eat anything.

We do sell a LOT of poutine though. :)

#2298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 03:09 PM

The tourism and hospitality sector has been among those most severely affected by the pandemic. With uncertainty over the Omicron variant persisting, the federal minister responsible for the industry said the return of international travellers could still be a long way off.

"During the darkest days of the pandemic, Destination Canada, which normally takes its money and markets Canada to the rest of the world, took that money and marketed inside Canada, to travel," Tourism Minister Randy Boissonnault told CBC News.

"I think to at least [the third quarter] of 2022, we're going to have to see more of that."

In Canada, domestic travellers account for 78 per cent of tourism spending. But international visitors spend an average of $1,047 per trip, while domestic vacationers spend less than a quarter of that.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rders-1.6287730

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2021 - 03:09 PM.

#2299 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 07:42 AM

Via twitter:

Ontario reports 8,825 new COVID cases on Tuesday

491 people are hospitalized with #COVID19, and 187 people are in ICU due to COVID-19. The seven-day rolling average of COVID-19 related patients in ICU is 171.

So I don't know, that does not sound like hospitalizations have jumped.

#2300 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 09:02 AM

I confirmed that the regs for a manufacturers license with a lounge endorsement requires food to be available in order to serve full sized drinks, like a pub or restaurant does.

No food offered means you have to stick to the smaller size samples that I remember.

There is a bar here that is owned by a restaurant owner. If someone wants food they will order it from their restaurant and deliver it to the patron.

Nah, your source must be confused.

20oz beers are being sold at these lounges without food. Next time you're in the hood, pop into the Phillips tasting lounge and you'll see 16 or 14oz glasses of beer and no food (some snacks, but no kitchen). Unless by 'food' you mean bags of chips?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users