Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2401 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 03:26 PM

With respect to parking transactions, this week, Monday-Thursday we  7,650 on-street parking transactions per day.  In the same week in March 2019 we were at 8,500...  Slowly get there...  A month ago we averaged 7,250 so pretty good growth... 

#2402 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,288 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 03:31 PM

I don’t think March is a measuring stick.
  • Matt R. likes this

#2403 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 03:39 PM

With respect to parking transactions, this week, Monday-Thursday we  7,650 on-street parking transactions per day.  In the same week in March 2019 we were at 8,500...  Slowly get there...  A month ago we averaged 7,250 so pretty good growth... 

If 100 spots weren't being used for free by patios you might already be there!

• Matt R. likes this

#2404 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 04:53 PM

Spring breaks and Easter move around too much.

#2405 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 07:49 AM

With respect to parking transactions, this week, Monday-Thursday we 7,650 on-street parking transactions per day. In the same week in March 2019 we were at 8,500... Slowly get there... A month ago we averaged 7,250 so pretty good growth...

How are parkades doing this year, compared to 2019?

Also, I’m very curious to know, if you have this sort of data, whether more people are now parking between 5-6PM, paying for whatever time in that hour then leaving prior to 9AM, as in people who live in buildings where they don’t have parking but park on the street overnight.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2406 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:29 AM

March is actually very good to measure…

Spring breaks and Easter move around too much.

Well easy to do the week before…

How are parkades doing this year, compared to 2019?

Also, I’m very curious to know, if you have this sort of data, whether more people are now parking between 5-6PM, paying for whatever time in that hour then leaving prior to 9AM, as in people who live in buildings where they don’t have parking but park on the street overnight.

we don’t as much since we changed.. since people can park from 6pm to 9 am without taking a ticket, we cannot measure…. Periodic counts can be taken but it’s not going to be very exact… similar to street parking.. When we have new licence plate recognition tech will help however…

• Mike K. likes this

#2407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,288 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:37 AM

.. When we have new licence plate recognition tech will help however…

Don't tell me you are planning to record/track and store data on individual vehicles not in violation of any parking laws.

ie. you can use the license plate technology to see if that car has paid or not moved lately, but surely you will not track each car for extended periods (over say 48 hours)?

I don't think it would be fair to, say, be able to pull up a license plate number and you show me its recorded history over the past 60 days.  Again, unless somehow you need 60 days of data to charge that person their parking fees.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 March 2022 - 09:40 AM.

#2408 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:50 AM

Don't tell me you are planning to record/track and store data on individual vehicles not in violation of any parking laws.

ie. you can use the license plate technology to see if that car has paid or not moved lately, but surely you will not track each car for extended periods (over say 48 hours)?

I don't think it would be fair to, say, be able to pull up a license plate number and you show me its recorded history over the past 60 days.  Again, unless somehow you need 60 days of data to charge that person their parking fees.

New revenue source for the City, they can sell the data to 3rd parties who might be interested in your movements!

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#2409 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:53 AM

No would never do that… just counts.. but thanks.. I kind of know what data can be used for..

Edited by Ismo07, 19 March 2022 - 09:54 AM.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2410 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,288 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:56 AM

No would never do that… just counts.. but thanks.. I kind of know what data can be used for..

Well, you replied in the context that you might be able to find out who parks there regularly every night (like a local home dweller with no parking at home) once you have the readers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 March 2022 - 09:56 AM.

#2411 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:03 AM

Well, you replied in the context that you might be able to find out who parks there regularly every night (like a local home dweller with no parking at home) once you have the readers.

I really didn’t, only spoke with respect to counts, cause that’s what I was asked about..  would never hold licence plate data for over a few hours…. When did I say we would find out who specifically parks?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2412 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:03 AM

Tin foil hats for sale…

#2413 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:04 AM

Sorry if my question was confusing. I’m curious if you’re able to tell if there has been an upswing in 5PM+ parking use, as in 25% more vehicles are buying parking 5-onwards than in 2015, etc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2414 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:05 AM

Sorry if my question was confusing. I’m curious if you’re able to tell if there has been an upswing in 5PM+ parking use, as in 25% more vehicles are buying parking 5-onwards than in 2015, etc.

no… can only see how many people pay at 5 but no to how long they might stay without counts and still no telling when people arrive..

Edited by Ismo07, 19 March 2022 - 10:06 AM.

#2415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:05 AM

Can't tell, or there hasn't been an increase?

Know it all.

#2416 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:10 AM

Can't tell, or there hasn't been an increase?

since we changed to gateless parkades, it’s more like a parking lot… we will have an idea of how many vehicles are on the lot at a given time (eventually) but not how many are residents of downtown…. How would we ever know that?  Likely a discussion to have but not in this forum..

Edited by Ismo07, 19 March 2022 - 10:10 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2417 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,288 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:11 AM

What I'm getting at.  

My girlfriend says she works nights.  But I'm not allowed to call her at work she says.

And the GPS tracker I've installed on her car doesn't always work great when she is in parkades.

Now I have her email and social log-in passwords, but it would be great if I could get some extra location data from Victoria Parking.  Capiche?

#2418 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:16 AM

What I'm getting at.  

My girlfriend says she works nights.  But I'm not allowed to call her at work she says.

And the GPS tracker I've installed on her car doesn't always work great when she is in parkades.

Now I have her email and social log-in passwords, but it would be great if I could get some extra location data from Victoria Parking.  Capiche?

Oh yeah I can track specifics for sure…give me her plate and I can tell you where her car is at any moment within city borders…. 

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2419 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:17 AM

He might not want to know.
  • Ismo07 and Victoria Watcher like this

#2420 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:21 AM

He might not want to know.

jeez we got to this?  Just trying to give a little update on downtown… Alive and well..  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users