COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2481 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 01:06 PM

And all this time I was hearing it was a Covid issue and thousands were losing their jobs?  Hmmm..  Service industry jobs weren't ideal prior to Covid...  Odd..

2500 health care workers lost their jobs due to the measures. https://vancouversun...al-to-vaccinate

#2482 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 01:07 PM

The lack of workers sure isn’t just hospitality.

#2483 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 01:20 PM

The lack of workers sure isn’t just hospitality.

No of course not, just what I hear in my world as the loudest voice right now.  Although plenty of jobs out there in many fields of course.

2500 health care workers lost their jobs due to the measures. https://vancouversun...al-to-vaccinate

Surely there are over 2,500 jobs available, probably better than casual positions the majority of the folks had...  Looks like 520 of these are being grieved...

Edited by Ismo07, 26 April 2022 - 07:15 AM.

#2484 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 02:27 PM

No of course not, just what I here in my world as the loudest voice right now.  Although plenty of jobs out there in many fields of course.

Surely there are over 2,500 jobs available, probably better than casual positions the majority of the folks had...  Looks like 520 of these are being grieved...

Hospitality people are used to being the loudest ones in the room.

Septic pump company here, one truck on the road due to lack of staff.
The credit union has written “closed indefinitely” over the posted hours of operation for Saturday.
Hospital short staffed.
School.
All trades are short.
The only sector not needing more staff is the real estate industry, it’s jam packed.

None of these are low paying jobs. Where did all the workers go?

#2485 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 02:55 PM

Hospitality people are used to being the loudest ones in the room.

Septic pump company here, one truck on the road due to lack of staff.
The credit union has written “closed indefinitely” over the posted hours of operation for Saturday.
Hospital short staffed.
School.
All trades are short.
The only sector not needing more staff is the real estate industry, it’s jam packed.

None of these are low paying jobs. Where did all the workers go?

I feel like many, once work slowed (except construction) retooled and started their own thing whether it was online earning in some way or contracting out on their own in their field rather than have a boss.  People figured out they can do other things besides a 9-5 shift everyday.  maybe some are still doing what they did before but only part-time or causal while they concentrate on side hustles.

#2486 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 05:37 PM

I feel like many, once work slowed (except construction) retooled and started their own thing whether it was online earning in some way or contracting out on their own in their field rather than have a boss.

lol, the big increase is in the public sector.

The trillions coming off the money printers won’t spend themselves, you know.

#2487 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 05:47 PM

2IVLAcF.png

• dasmo likes this

#2488 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:12 PM

I feel like many, once work slowed (except construction) retooled and started their own thing whether it was online earning in some way or contracting out on their own in their field rather than have a boss.  People figured out they can do other things besides a 9-5 shift everyday.  maybe some are still doing what they did before but only part-time or causal while they concentrate on side hustles.

Nebulous side hustles, gig economy, all the fridge repairman have quit to drive Uber and sell Avon, is that what you mean? If the fridge repair people started their own thing, then there is net zero change in fridge repair people… yet there aren’t enough of them (for example) all of a sudden.

I totally understand why restaurant people didn’t come back!

#2489 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:13 PM

As far as I can tell, the entire public sector is short staffed as well.

#2490 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:26 PM

I wasn't the only one who decided to retire.
  • Matt R. and dasmo like this

#2491 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 04:07 AM

And all this time I was hearing it was a Covid issue and thousands were losing their jobs? Hmmm.. Service industry jobs weren't ideal prior to Covid... Odd..

They were losing jobs, because of COVID.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2492 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 09:04 AM

My guess is that we will continue to see staff shortages until Oct / Nov and then the situation will improve. Rising inflation and interest rates are going to force people back into the workforce while recessionary fears will start to have tech and finance companies scaling back. Government will also start reducing headcount as debt pressures mount and the need for people hired during covid diminishes.

Between now and then there are a lot of people taking the summer off to decompress and get their lives back to balance but that will change. 

• Matt R. likes this

#2493 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,156 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 04:43 AM

Lots of teens and 20-somethings are also not working, but otherwise would be. Mom and dad padded their coffers during the pandemic but eventually man will re-enter or enter the workforce.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2494 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 07:25 AM

8% of all self-employed went to Public sector?  The graph you showed is by % so I'm not quite sure I can relate to that.  Is there one with actual numbers?   And what does change mean in that graph.  If a public sector employee moved to another public sector job does that count as two changes?  Within the municipalities in the CRD there are a lot of vacancies.

#2495 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 08:14 AM

Statistics Canada defines unemployed persons as those who were available for work during the survey reference week.... were without work and had looked for work in the past four weeks; were on temporary layoff due to business conditions and expected to return to work; were waiting for a new job to begin within four weeks.

A third category includes individuals who are not in the labour force and are not considered employed or unemployed. This includes individuals who are not able to work or are unavailable for work, as well as individuals who are without work and have neither looked for work or are expecting to work. Full-time students in school are not considered to be part of the labour supply, for example, neither are retired persons.

#2496 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 03:05 PM

The more I looked in to this one it might be more that most public sector jobs where people left for various reason over the 2 years, were not replaced as many services were reduced at all level of government and now have been ramping up...  That graph still seems odd to me and doesn't make sense in my world... I've never seen so many available positions in the City over my nearly 30 years of being here.

#2497 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,297 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 03:14 PM

If the City jobs are going unfilled but the City is still running fine, maybe stop the hiring. For taxpayers sake.

#2498 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 05:18 PM

The more I looked in to this one it might be more that most public sector jobs where people left for various reason over the 2 years, were not replaced as many services were reduced at all level of government and now have been ramping up...  That graph still seems odd to me and doesn't make sense in my world... I've never seen so many available positions in the City over my nearly 30 years of being here.

Maybe the big increases are at the provincial and federal levels.

#2499 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 11:32 AM

If the City jobs are going unfilled but the City is still running fine, maybe stop the hiring. For taxpayers sake.

It's not really fine... Lot's to get done and no bodies to do the work...  I guess it's fine if we don't want or care to improve things.  Everyone is swamped right now.

Maybe the big increases are at the provincial and federal levels.

Potentially, I'm not sure positions have increased just that a lot of people leaving to work elsewhere and those positions get filled slowly...

#2500 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 12:08 PM

I had an acquaintance that worked for the gov. I remember him telling me that after a building transfer he played DOOM for 8 months before someone gave him something to do.... 

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users