Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2701 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 12:57 PM

But the last two years has been based experts saying things. We haven't had a single vote in parliament, any debate or a ruling from the SCC on implementing any of this...

The worst part is that most people don't even seem to care.  :( 

"Nanny kept me safe through the pandemic, so she must be right."

• dasmo likes this

#2702 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 02:43 PM

Our local journalists are doing such a great job keeping us all informed on these cases huh? My dunning Kruger Degree in journalism turns out to be much better than all of theirs. 

Court docs of the trial are available here https://www.fct-cf.g...ons/court-files

A taste:

9. This concerned me. In particular, I personally attended all of the cross-examinations of the Respondents' witnesses, during which I learned a number of concerning facts, such as:
a. Dr. Celia Lourenco, Director General of the Biological and Radiopharmaceutical Drugs Directorate, and the person responsible for authorizing the Covid-19 vaccines in Canada, was never consulted by the Ministry of Transport prior to its decision to implement the vaccine mandate. See pages 9, 12 and 14 of Dr. Lourenco's cross-examination transcript attached as an exhibit to my affidavit.
b. Dr. Lourenco acknowledged that the current efficacy of the Covid-19 vaccine would not have passed the regulatory threshold ( 50%) that was required in order to initially approve the vaccine for use in Canada. See pages 46, 55 of Dr. Lourenco's cross-examination transcript attached as an exhibit to my affidavit.
c. Ms. Lisa Waddell's cross-examination revealed that the government had not participated in any study regarding the impact of Covid-19 on the Canadian transportation sector. Studies on in-flight transmission events, which were purportedly reviewed by the Canadian Government, were overwhelmingly before the vaccine rollout campaign. Some of the studies concluded that vaccination was not statistically significant in terms of understanding which passengers were infected and why. None of the studies considered the broader impact and consequences there may have been on healthcare systems following Covid-19 transmission in flight. See pages 48, 49, 69, 70, 76 of Ms. Waddell's cross­examination transcript attached to my affidavit.

• Nparker likes this

#2703 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 08:29 PM

I read 30 pages of the cross examination. They have no legs to stand on and the officials are having to admit all the BS under oath. It’s going to take some serious corruption to allow these mandates to stand. This one doc is 1500 pages. There are 5 documents. I’ve read enough. Too bad we don’t have any journalists left.

#2704 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:04 PM

...It’s going to take some serious corruption to allow these mandates to stand...

We essentially have no free press, a pathetic joke of a justice system and a Prime Minister who takes his orders from a foreign entity. What's a little corruption in the grand scheme of things?

#2705 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:24 PM

Our court system hasn’t truly been put to the test yet. It’s the last hope really.

#2706 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:32 PM

I did enjoy the bit about absolute vs relative in regards to the “effective”. They admitted that 12 out of 10,000 isn’t really significant which is why they use relative risk. I tried to explain this so many time to people… at the very least it’s all being documented for the permanent record. Like the fact they changed the approval process in 2020. Or that phase three clinical trials are still on going and they decided that two months in was enough for approval… all verified because of that handy oath thing.

#2707 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:33 PM

Or that they back pedalled from these products preventing it to not preventing it but reducing severity.

#2708 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:36 PM

So while no ruling yet there are plenty of I told you so’s in the statements under cross examination.

No real press on the last remaining signatory to our Charter fighting for it in the courts right now is certainly telling that the press are not working for us.
  • Nparker likes this

#2709 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 04:42 AM

B.C. government workers' strike on the horizon?

The union, which represents 33,000 workers, rejected a nearly 11% increase over three years plus up to $2,500 per member signing bonus offered by the government. Its key demand is for a cost of living adjustment clause to keep up with inflation.

When talks began in February, inflation was 5.7%. It hit a 40-year high of 8.1% in May.

https://www.timescol...horizon-5683396

#2710 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 04:50 AM

^ Given that nearly a third of Government employees 'work from home' without any work that they can actually do, would we even notice a strike? Perhaps that is the best way to settle the whole issue, have them go on strike, assess the impact and then decide whether there is anyone who is not already deemed an essential service who we really need. 

• Barrrister likes this

#2711 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 04:56 AM

Chants of “what do we want?” “Respect” cried out near Greater Victoria’s naval base on Wednesday as unions representing federal employees rallied against what they called insulting wage offers by the federal government.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) says the Treasury Board of Canada’s recent offer of an annual 1.75-per-cent wage increase is out of touch given current cost of living challenges.

“If they think we’re going to accept that, they’re absolutely crazy,” PSAC national president Chris Aylward said at the rally. “What that equates to is basically a pay cut.”

https://www.vicnews....-with-the-feds/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2022 - 04:57 AM.

#2712 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 05:28 AM

^ So if we offer 'respect' but no money they will be satisfied?!

#2713 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:56 AM

No chance. Respect includes fair wage offers. In my field at least, wages are a good 20-50% lower than private sector and even 30% or so lower than municipal equivalents. A lot of people are leaving.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#2714 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:59 AM

But there’s something to be said about the job security.

You can’t expect public to pay like private, but people now want the government benefits, security, union representation, and private sector wages, working for government. It’s not happening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2715 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:30 AM

No, and they aren't asking to be kept at equivalent wages to private, either. It's pretty well understood that at the 'cost' of higher wage, most public sector union members get better job security, and typically better pensions across the board. Their main ask is for real COLA wage adjustments. Effectively, all they are asking is that they don't have to take a pay cut in this high inflation environment. Especially today when inflation isn't due to high wages, that makes a lot of sense.

• Nparker and Brayvehart like this

#2716 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:32 AM

On Thursday, CPPIB reported a 4.2 per cent loss, equivalent to $23 billion, for the three months ending June 30. Net assets fell to $523 billion from $539 billion, and included an influx of $7 billion from CPP contributions.

“Uncertain business and investment conditions and market turbulence (are) anticipated to continue throughout the fiscal year,” CPPIB, the manager of assets for Canada’s national pension scheme, said in a document accompanying its financial results.

However, it added that the CPP Fund is “well positioned to continue to add value over the long term and successfully navigate market turbulence.”

https://financialpos...obox=1660227612

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2022 - 07:32 AM.

#2717 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:37 AM

What about the people fired for not submitting to the forced medical intervention that turned out not to flatten the curve? The union wasn’t there for them. Their is no respect if you don’t respect the sanctity of someone’s body.

#2718 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:50 AM

I wasn't terribly sad to pay my final dues to the BCGEU back in June.

#2719 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:55 AM

Looks like they also want a raise

#2720 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 08:07 AM

No, and they aren't asking to be kept at equivalent wages to private, either. It's pretty well understood that at the 'cost' of higher wage, most public sector union members get better job security, and typically better pensions across the board. Their main ask is for real COLA wage adjustments. Effectively, all they are asking is that they don't have to take a pay cut in this high inflation environment. Especially today when inflation isn't due to high wages, that makes a lot of sense.

The whole world is taking a pay cut in this high inflation environment.

Public sector jobs have had nothing but wage increases at or above inflation for decades, but the one year inflation surges, we see complaints that wages aren’t keeping up with inflation. The wages have already far exceeded inflation the rest of the time.

Compare the minimum wage in 1990 to today. You’ll see it has precisely kept up with inflation, but hardly anyone earns the bare minimum and is paid well, well above (MW is around $15.50 but even McDonald’s is paying $18 as a starting salary).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users