Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:49 AM

Nah, you clearly weren’t doing any real work anyways. Posting on VV…

How do you know that wasn't actually part of my job?

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#2762 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:50 AM

Because you’re too right wing 😂
  • Mike K. likes this

#2763 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:57 AM

Because you’re too right wing

You don't think the province uses right wing shills to scope out the opposition?

#2764 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 09:53 AM

What’s happening is public sector workers are opting for early retirement, then transitioning into the private sector with safety and security already locked in. It’s the best of both worlds, but it’s causing staffing issues for all levels of government.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2765 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 09:56 AM

What’s happening is public sector workers are opting for early retirement, then transitioning into the private sector with safety and security already locked in. It’s the best of both worlds, but it’s causing staffing issues for all levels of government.

That has always been the case. In some instances, people go right back to the job they were doing but as a consultant and thus double dip.

#2766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:23 AM

Yes, but COVID expedited early retirements. Droves of people left who would have otherwise transitioned out over ten years, but it happened over two.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2767 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:34 AM

...COVID expedited early retirements...

While fallout from the pandemic was a factor in my choice to retire this year (I had long hoped I would be in a financial position to get out at 55) there were other, perhaps less tangible things, such as the quickly advancing woke agenda, that ultimately made me decide it was time to move on.

#2768 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:51 AM

Yes, but COVID expedited early retirements. Droves of people left who would have otherwise transitioned out over ten years, but it happened over two.

I think what also happened is that many people realized how little you need to be happy and that working 30 hours a week doing a poopy Government job that they hate isn't the life path they want.

#2769 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:57 AM

Yup, COVID was indeed a big reset for a lot of people.

Know it all.

#2770 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:46 PM

People get it, but they’re visiting restaurants less.

You’re seeing volume declining, because it is. Yesterday I went to Fig out by the airport. Nearly $40 for two sandwiches and small side salads, no drinks. I believe the last time I went it was $30 for the same thing. And of course, the payment console presents you with a tipping option the smallest of which is 15%.

The industry is heading for unstable times at the rate prices are increasing and the rate tip expectations are rising.

Every pay console I have used gives the option of "other amount" you can select that and then enter 0.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2771 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:47 PM

Yup. Actually it wasn't an early retirement. But it pushed the person who should have been retired to finally retire. Well kind of. A customer or 2 a day by appt. beats having to keep a retail store open 8 hours.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#2772 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:50 PM

Every pay console I have used gives the option of "other amount" you can select that and then enter 0.

In these times of short staffing, I make a point of tipping MORE.

• Brayvehart likes this

#2773 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:08 PM

This may explain why the std driver makes a special trip for you. :)

#2774 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:37 AM

The BCGEU has issued 72-hour strike notice, putting them in a legal position to take job action as of Monday afternoon.

The bargaining committee representing 33,000 members of the B.C. General Employees’ Union who work for the provincial government issued the notice Friday afternoon.

The union has not released details about the job action.

https://www.timescol...serious-5693068

“The bottom line is they’re not asking for anything that MLAs don’t already have. The strike vote in June and issuing strike notice today is a message to government that our members are serious.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2022 - 04:39 AM.

#2775 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:12 AM

^ Think that the union may be misjudging public sympathy. The average Joe/Jane isn't seeing a 10% pay increase plus signing bonus.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2776 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:03 AM

The BCGEU has never really depended on, or sought public support for its labour actions.

For those of us old enough to remember the last few BCGEU job actions, they are pretty much autonomous in their decision making process.

Of course public support never hurts, but it's definitely not required when you have 33,000 members, and a public that has no choice but to deal with your employer in a literal multitude of matters.

It is generally understood though, that there are a great many other collective agreements in B.C. that are either currently being negotiated, or are pending the opening of negotiations - all of which are awaiting the outcome of the BCGEU negotiations/labour action.

That BCGEU outcome will drive the outcome of many more collective agreements in B.C., if not in negotiated settlement terms, then in what arbitrators will ultimately oblige parties to settle for.

If we see a high arbitration settlement (up in the 10% or 15% range), then you're also going to see an awful lot of other settlements that are far, far higher than previous settlements in B.C.

This will apply to both public and private collective agreements, as arbitrators don't distinguish between the two, and the BCGEU negotiations with the sitting government are considered a benchmark negotiation in the Province, one that drives the final terms of many other agreements.

#2777 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:18 AM

Plus there’s all the bonuses over the last few years. But only for the lead actors….

She speaks of hospitals closing early and operating rooms never opened and Albertans waiting for all kinds of medical care.

“And they’re looking at these bonuses and saying: ‘That could have helped me.’ That’s why it’s such a slap in the face.”

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta’s top public health doc. In 2021, $227,911.35 on top of $363,633.92.

That’s about $19,000 a month added to her cheque! Yikes!

Dr. Jing Hu, Hinshaw’s unknown sidekick. In 2021, $142,533.89 on top of $278,926.99.

“This may just be the tip of the iceberg. That’s why we’ve got to make sure we fast-track an investigation.”

https://calgarysun.c...-somebody-sings

Edited by dasmo, 13 August 2022 - 06:19 AM.

#2778 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:23 AM

Have your say: Do you support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's use of the Emergencies Act during the 'Freedom Convoy'?

https://www.thestar....-convoy.html?rf
  • Nparker likes this

#2779 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:41 AM

Have your say: Do you support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's use of the Emergencies Act during the 'Freedom Convoy'?

Completely useless online poll, as anybody (and everybody) can vote as many times as they wish

The only online poles that have even a modicum of integrity are ones that require full registration with confirmation, and permit only one vote per person.

Edited by Spy Black, 13 August 2022 - 07:01 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#2780 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:51 AM

Completely useless online pole, as anybody (and everybody) can vote as many times as they wish.

The only online poles that have even a modicum of integrity are ones that require full registration with confirmation, and permit only one vote per person.

I voted no and tried. It wouldn’t let me vote again. I always check. Maybe it’s only letting the yes votes vote again?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users