COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2981 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 05:19 AM

Most Canadians believe the pandemic’s impact is in the rear-view mirror. But it isn’t yet for a great many small businesses forced to shutter their premises due to “safety concerns,” even as their regular customers packed into COVID-spreading lines to enter big-box stores deemed “essential services.”

Behind those small businesses are people who have invested personal savings and long hours to achieve their dreams. The Canadian Federation of Independent Business reports that small-business insolvencies were up 34 per cent in the first quarter of this year, the biggest increase in more than 30 years. Many others are just barely hanging on.

CFIB president Dan Kelly fears the wave of defaults will rise as higher interest rates on debt taken on to survive the pandemic become “the straw that breaks the camel’s back.”

Meanwhile, during COVID, public-sector workers kept their jobs, added two years’ credit to their gilded pension benefits and even, many of them, received wage increases.

Statistics Canada’s January 2022 Labour Force Survey found that all of the country’s 206,000 job losers were private-sector employees. Public-sector employment was 305,000 higher than at the beginning of the pandemic in 2020.

Not only did public-sector workers have job security during the pandemic, but they also enjoyed vastly better pension and other benefits.

A Fraser Institute report published at the beginning of the pandemic found that average federal, provincial and local government workers’ wages were more than nine per cent higher than those of their counterparts in the private sector.

Moreover, 88 per cent of government workers were covered by a pension plan, compared with fewer than 23 per cent of private-sector workers.

https://www.timescol...ion-gap-5836603

But now it seems the enormous compensation and job-security advantages enjoyed by public sector employees aren’t enough. The 120,000-member Public Service Alliance of Canada, largest of 17 federal unions, is talking strike, seeking a 13.5 per cent increase over three years.

PSAC president Chris Aylward says: “The government can’t expect workers who have been getting us through the pandemic to shoulder the costs of Canada’s recovery.”

Shoulder the costs of Canada’s recovery? How do you suppose that sounds to all those much lower-paid private-sector workers, many of whom either lost their jobs or were forced to work part-time?

The union members who’ve actually been “getting us through the pandemic” aren’t Aylward’s, but hospital, care-home and public-health workers, many of whom are represented by other unions. Their valiant efforts took both a physical and mental toll and they deserve both financial consideration and our gratitude.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 September 2022 - 05:20 AM.

#2982 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 September 2022 - 09:06 AM

I believe the wage gap analysis because it’s stacked at the low end, unskilled labour jobs. A janitorial position in government pays quite well compared the to same in private. At the skilled and manager level, wages are the other way around. I’m in IT and can make more elsewhere.
There’s also a significant disparity between municipal and provincial/federal. For some reason the municipal wages are sky high.
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one and Brayvehart like this

#2983 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 02:32 PM

^ A buddy of mine who works in IT for the Feds says that two and a half years into covid, a non-trivial number of workers still can’t seem to be able to make the MS Teams / Zoom thing work and are effectively collecting pay for doing little to nothing of value. I am sure they would be first in line to demand the 13% pay increase as well!
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2984 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 11:57 AM

While August’s new-vehicle sales experienced a modest year-over-year increase south of the border, that glimmer of recovery has yet to be seen here in Canada.

Estimated Canadian sales of 126,534 units in August were down 13.9% from the same month last year, as estimated by DesRosiers Automotive Consultants (DAC). It was the lowest August sales number since 1999, According to Andrew King, Managing Partner of DAC.

https://canadianauto...tinue-to-slide/

#2985 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 01:56 PM

By the end of September the federal government is planning to drop its COVID-19 vaccine border requirements, and the ArriveCan application will become optional, sources confirmed to CTV News.

The government is expected to make this policy change by the end of the month, and the sources indicated the Liberals will also be ending the outstanding random COVID-19 testing for travellers.

https://www.ctvnews....urces-1.6076355

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2022 - 01:57 PM.

#2986 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 02:09 PM

Thunderbolts and lightning, very, very frightening me.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2987 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 02:12 PM

By the end of September the federal government is planning to drop its COVID-19 vaccine border requirements, and the ArriveCan application will become optional, sources confirmed to CTV News.

The government is expected to make this policy change by the end of the month, and the sources indicated the Liberals will also be ending the outstanding random COVID-19 testing for travellers.

https://www.ctvnews....urces-1.6076355

What would optional mean?  We can show it if we want?

#2988 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 02:13 PM

Spare our lives from this monstrosity

#2989 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 September 2022 - 02:18 PM

So assume that happens. whats left re. travel? Masking in airports and planes?

#2990 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:08 AM

US Fed hikes rates to 3-3.25% and signals another 1.5% is in the card.

https://www.cnbc.com...mber-2022-.html

If Canada follows suit then this should push 5 year mortgage rates close to 8%. 

Edited by spanky123, 21 September 2022 - 10:09 AM.

#2991 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 12:53 PM

So assume that happens. whats left re. travel? Masking in airports and planes?

Showed up at customs in Switzerland on Tuesday morning. The border control agent basically said, “what’s with the masks - oh, Canadian.” Chatted a few minutes about Air Canada and off we went. Only people wearing masks here are tourists, but lots of them are.
  • Nparker likes this

#2992 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 September 2022 - 01:31 PM

I'd be taking it off the instant i step off the plane. 

#2993 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:19 PM

I took my mask off at SEA and it hasn't been back on since. A few locals wearing them here at Maui businesses, really very few.
  • dasmo and lanforod like this

#2994 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 04:28 PM

I took my mask off at SEA and it hasn't been back on since. A few locals wearing them here at Maui businesses, really very few.

Breath that beautiful Hawaii air! 

• Nparker likes this

#2995 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 04:49 PM

Breath that beautiful Hawaii air!

Smells like freedom.

#2996 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:35 PM

I'd be taking it off the instant i step off the plane.

Most people did but it was a full Dreamliner, so lots with masks still. I think he was more making a general comment.

#2997 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:11 AM

Showed up at customs in Switzerland on Tuesday morning. The border control agent basically said, “what’s with the masks - oh, Canadian.” Chatted a few minutes about Air Canada and off we went. Only people wearing masks here are tourists, but lots of them are.

We never wore masks on our Air France flight from YVR to CDG or onward to VNC. On bus tours they announce masks are mandatory and then promptly take their mask off.

• dasmo likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2998 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:42 AM

Facing sky-high inflation, consumers put away their wallets more often in July, new data revealed Friday, as retail sales fell for the first time since 2021.

Canadian retailers rang up $61.3 billion in sales in July, Statistics Canada reported Friday. That's a decline of 2.5 per cent from the previous month's level as lower sales at gas stations and clothing stores led the way down.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-july-1.6592904

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 September 2022 - 07:42 AM.

#2999 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:15 AM

Gas is surging once again.

$2.10 at some stations. Some even higher.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3000 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:50 AM

^ Despite the fact that oil is down 5% to $78 a barrel. Previously that price per barrel equated to a fuel price of about $1.20 a litre.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users