COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#3061 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 07:54 AM

And they would know about the night before because the people they were out with the night before would show up for work and not resist gossiping.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#3062 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:01 AM

Covid definitely spreads faster than the flu ever did if you ask me. Used to be one person would have a cold or the flu and that was it. Now one person has Covid and the next thing you know three people are out.

People also used to work sick, which was probably a bad idea anyways.

Our business will manage. Everything is new again.

I’m still in Switzerland and Covid is ripping around real hot in these parts. There are folks from all over Europe here and it’s no wonder they all got clobbered with Covid early on.

Edited by Matt R., 09 October 2022 - 09:26 AM.

#3063 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:06 AM

I agree with everything will work out. But you can’t discount the social engineering in regards to spread. Before this if someone got a cold they might not even tell anyone. The other day I had a Facebook friend doing a video blog series on their cold…

#3064 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 09:24 AM

Before this if someone got a cold they might not even tell anyone.

It was pretty disgusting back then. People would die from respiratory illnesses back then as well, but it was accepted. I always thought it was unacceptable
  • Brayvehart likes this

#3065 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 09:27 AM

Seattle Times:

To a casual visitor, the 56-floor Two Union Square building looks well ahead of the pack in downtown Seattle’s slow march back to the office.

At lunchtime, the food court of the sleek, zebra-striped tower at Union Street and Sixth Avenue bustles with employees from the 200-plus tenants in Two Union and its smaller sister, One Union Square. The vast underground garage below is nearly full again.

But like many Seattle offices, Two Union Square is still missing most of its workers — another unsettling sign for a downtown recovery that has been largely on hold since COVID-19 sent most office employees home in early 2020.

Any given day, the number of workers in the two buildings, though roughly doubled from this spring, is still only around 40% of pre-pandemic levels, says Mark Barbieri, executive vice president at Washington Holdings, which manages the complex.

And some tenants report much lower rates. Seattle-based HomeStreet Bank, whose headquarters take up parts of five floors at Two Union, has around 20% of its 300-person staff working in person, says CEO Mark Mason, even though senior management would love “to have everyone physically back.”

#3066 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 09:51 AM

It was pretty disgusting back then. People would die from respiratory illnesses back then as well, but it was accepted. I always thought it was unacceptable

People still die. My dad died of pneumonia. After he was five years in on his lung transplant after having emphysema from smoking all his life.

#3067 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 11:39 AM

Is it also a case of people calling in sick for things they wouldn’t have called in sick for prior to COVID?

Is a headache now being “sick,” in case it gets worse and becomes a cold? Maybe there’s far more precaution, and since government now gives you five paid sick days I assume they’ll be used each year? Matt?

I suppose that makes sense. That headache could be a precursor of another Covid infection or flu, so depending on other symptoms, if you wake up with a headache that’s not self induced, maybe it’s best to stay home for a day and see if things progress. Not such a bad idea? Prior to paid sick days people most definitely came to work sick. Now, we don’t want them to. I’d rather be short one person who is being over cautious than have them come to work and knock out another five.

What else can you do but raise prices and cut costs in other areas?

#3068 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 01:27 PM

Yup, that’s right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3069 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 07:46 PM

If you are working from home, who do you call in sick to?

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3070 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 01:50 AM

If you are working from home, who do you call in sick to?

Coincidentally, it likely never happens.

#3071 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 09:27 AM

Is it also a case of people calling in sick for things they wouldn’t have called in sick for prior to COVID?

Calling in 'sick' has certainly become a lot more acceptable since covid and nobody questions the illness or requires a doctor's note anymore. I am sure that many people are legitimately sick but some people are definitely taking advantage of the 5 free days Horgan gave everyone and there are also people who are working multiple jobs who aren't watchful of schedule conflicts and just call in sick as an excuse when they find themselves double 'booked'. 

• Nparker likes this

#3072 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 09:32 AM

Coincidentally, it likely never happens.

Not just sick days but vacations as well. At my sister's company they have had a number of people over the past couple of years take vacations and then claim they are working remotely (I guess they are balancing beach time and clubs with the hard work they fit into their schedule).  

I think the crunch will come when people leave and then try to claim unused vacation and sick time. I know which way labour standards will lean!

#3073 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 03:45 AM

“Karun asked if he wanted to audit Astronomy 250,” Rodriguez recalled. “I said: ‘That’s a second-year course isn’t it?’

“Karun said: “Yeah, but he’s ready for it.’ ”

Because he requires a chaperone, José and his mother sit in the back of the class so she can still do her online work as an IT developer. José is just thrilled to be there. He completes weekly labs and has access to the full course materials.

https://www.timescol...courses-5936226

#3074 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 03:46 AM

Before the COVID-19 pandemic, Brianna Shereck was at odds between getting ahead in her career and caring for her two pre-school aged children. 

"If you've ever had kids in daycare, you're familiar that they get sick all of the time," said Shereck. In 2019, she took five weeks away from her job in Victoria's tourism industry to look after her kids.

Despite the ease with which she said she could fulfil her role as marketing co-ordinator from home, Shereck said her company barred her from working remotely. She was let go following the pandemic's blow to Victoria's tourism industry. Today, she works entirely remotely for a Saskatoon-based retirement firm. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...egacy-1.6607205

It would appear she worked for the Harbour Authority.

#3075 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:34 AM

“We had to move at the speed of science”. The Justice phase is getting interesting! https://twitter.com/...759795225198593

#3076 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:38 AM

The lie was admitted to. Curious to see what unfolds in the EU and how it will affect the on going charter court cases here.
  • Nparker likes this

#3077 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:49 AM

I got vaccinated as a 65 year old so I didn't wind up dying from COVID. 

Whether it prevented transmission to anybody else was irrelevant.

Like a vaccination for any potentially deadly virus, I did it for me ... I most certainly didn't do it for anybody else.

I would guess that may be the case for a large number of folks who are over 60, and who simply didn't want to croak from COVID.

I just got my second booster for the same reason ... there is no conspiracy outside of the one folks tend to dream up.

• Brayvehart likes this

#3078 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:53 AM

Because he requires a chaperone, José and his mother sit in the back of the class so she can still do her online work as an IT developer. José is just thrilled to be there. He completes weekly labs and has access to the full course materials.

We all laugh when we read this but to my earlier point this is far more common than people think. 

According to this survey, 70% of remote workers are doing multiple jobs and 47% of those people with full time jobs work less than 40 hours a week between the all of their jobs combined!

https://www.ucbjourn...ime-second-job/

A tight labour market has forced companies to make due with the workers they can get but that is changing quickly as layoffs mount during the recession.

Edited by spanky123, 11 October 2022 - 08:53 AM.

#3079 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:54 AM

I got vaccinated as a 65 year old so I didn't wind up dying from COVID. 

Whether it prevented transmission to anybody else was irrelevant.

Like a vaccination for any potentially deadly virus, I did it for me ... I most certainly didn't do it for anybody else.

I would guess that may be the case for a large number of folks who are over 60, and who simply didn't want to croak from COVID.

I just got my second booster for the same reason ... there is no conspiracy outside of the one folks tend to dream up.

The point is that the legality of forcing others to take it in order to access travel, employment and other societal needs has no grounds if it doesn't stop transmission. Especially if it wasn't tested even for stopping transmission before hitting the market.

#3080 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:59 AM

The point is that the legality of forcing others to take it in order to access travel, employment and other societal needs has no grounds if it doesn't stop transmission. Especially if it wasn't tested even for stopping transmission before hitting the market.

Armchair quarterbacking one or two years after the fact is all too easy.

What's not easy is responding to a worldwide viral epidemic in real time, one that has, to date, killed six and a half million people.

It was a difficult two years on many fronts, and for many people for many different reasons ... but it's really time to let it go and move on with living life.

• Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users