Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#601 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:31 PM

As you may know, the process for bringing in these workers would have started six months ago, more or less.

Matt.

If you come here for school you can automatically get a one year work Visa that can then be extended for an additional two or three years. My guess is that a lot of people who came here for school and have found school now closed have chosen to work.

#602 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

CERB was not limited to citizens.

But you did have to make a certain amount of money in Canada in 2019

#603 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:53 PM

Based on your own account. No need to have filed taxes in the prior year. No audit. Etc.

#604 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:25 PM

A large chain could also move workers between locations, could they not? So you have a sharing of the TFW labour pool that was already in Canada, like roving teams that perform specific duties across multiple locations.

My understanding is that is indeed true. The recruiter I work with has a couple of large clients and from what my workers have told me of their colleagues in Vancouver this is common.

Matt.

#605 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:26 PM

Maybe they're not eligible for CERB, so more likely to have returned to work than other employees, as they have no other options, therefore they suddenly seem over-represented?

No reason they can't get CERB, as long as they earned $5000 in Canada last year. Is it still $5000?  Whatever the number is now.

Matt.

#606 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:23 PM

Given that the int'l student population is down quite a bit and a good chunk of retail/restaurant positions are currently up in the air, I find it highly unlikely there's been anything other than a downward tick in employment among foreigners.

It may be that TFWs and immigrants are more likely to go back to work during COVID-19 than the Canadian-born, though.

Edited by Casual Kev, 20 July 2020 - 07:23 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#607 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

Given that the int'l student population is down quite a bit and a good chunk of retail/restaurant positions are currently up in the air, I find it highly unlikely there's been anything other than a downward tick in employment among foreigners.

It may be that TFWs and immigrants are more likely to go back to work during COVID-19 than the Canadian-born, though.

I was referring to students who are already here. TFW is not nearly as easy as it was a few years ago. The Feds really cracked down on that program.

• Matt R. likes this

#608 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

At this hour US politicians are negotiating the latest Covid 5 relief package. Sources are saying it will likely exceed a trillion dollars. To understand how much a trillion is here's a handy guide:

It would take almost 12 days for a million seconds to elapse and 31.7 years for a billion seconds. Therefore, a trillion seconds would amount to no less than 31,709.8 years.

A trillion seconds ago, there was no written history. The pyramids had not yet been built. It would be 10,000 years before the cave paintings in France were begun, and saber-toothed tigers were still prowling the planet.

• SimonH likes this

#609 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:20 AM

it’s tiny compared to ours.

do we have any stats on how much retail grocery purchases are up now that restaurants are down? I wonder if it is at all significant.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 July 2020 - 09:21 AM.

#610 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

At this hour US politicians are negotiating the latest Covid 5 relief package. Sources are saying it will likely exceed a trillion dollars. To understand how much a trillion is here's a handy guide:

Given that the US economy is about 12x ours, we have already passed $3T in Canada and are well on our way to $4T

Edited by spanky123, 21 July 2020 - 09:45 AM.

#611 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

We've spoken about this trend, and now we have some numbers to go by. A significant project in Sooke known as Heron View, which has already constructed 72 townhomes, is fast-tracking the final two phases as demand has sharply risen due to what the developer says is COVID: https://victoria.cit...-estate-trends/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#612 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:49 AM

We've spoken about this trend, and now we have some numbers to go by. A significant project in Sooke known as Heron View, which has already constructed 72 townhomes, is fast-tracking the final two phases as demand has sharply risen due to what the developer says is COVID: https://victoria.cit...-estate-trends/

Meanwhile I am hearing that one apartment project in downtown Victoria is being paused and another is going to convert to strata titled units.

#613 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:56 AM

The Mrs’ sister came over yesterday and we spoke about her work in the downtown service industry. They’ve begun turning non-locals away from their high profile establishment when they’re carded and their home is outside of BC. She said in one shift she had 12 Americans present IDs, most of whom had only recently arrived (they said). No respect for the quarantine whatsoever, and here to party.

Meanwhile last weekend I headed into the woods for a few nights of camping. Out on the backroads of the Island in an area where you don’t just stumble upon I encountered plates from Missouri, Ontario and Quebec. I don’t even note WA or Alberta plates any longer, but a funny story was told to me about an Alberta family that pulled over in Port Renfrew to ask how to get to the Sooke Potholes. The individual gave them directions back to Alberta.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#614 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:03 AM

The Mrs’ sister came over yesterday and we spoke about her work in the downtown service industry. They’ve begun turning non-locals away from their high profile establishment when they’re carded and their home is outside of BC. She said in one shift she had 12 Americans present IDs, most of whom had only recently arrived (they said). No respect for the quarantine whatsoever, and here to party.

but why is there any more reason to suspect these people are infected any more so than say people from vancouver?  it seems odd to me we treat travellers like they are likely contaminated when the statistics show they are almost as likely to be virus-free as your next door neighbour.

washington and oregon where most us tourists are from around here have lower death rates than canada.

0.04% of washington state residents have the virus.

0.02% of oregonians have it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2020 - 06:13 AM.

#615 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:12 AM

Dunno. I’m just passing on the message.

But the Kelowna outbreak is linked to Alberta, so there’s one example of outsiders bringing it here.

Know it all.

#616 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:15 AM

is the new westminster outbreak connected to burnaby?

is the esquimalt case linked to oak bay?

where do you draw the line?

• lanforod likes this

#617 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:18 AM

At the border?
  • sebberry and Greg like this

Know it all.

#618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:20 AM

Meanwhile I am hearing that one apartment project in downtown Victoria is being paused and another is going to convert to strata titled units.

There may very well be an impetus to rethink rental projects as we’ve seen a huge infusion of government-backed inventory throughout the region, and there are many hundreds if not thousands more on the way for this region alone.

Know it all.

#619 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:33 AM

At the border?

why stop there?  why not at the borders of your property?  that will be more effective.  essential travel only off of your property.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2020 - 06:34 AM.

#620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:34 AM

That’s what this bar did and that also upset you.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users