COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#801 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:41 AM

The figures are in, and the United Kingdom has been hit harder than any other major economy following the coronavirus pandemic.

The country’s economic output shrank by 20.4 per cent in the second quarter of 2020, the worst quarterly drop in UK history.

Preliminary figures from the UK’s Office for National Statistics show that the country’s economic struggles stem from its coronavirus-induced lockdowns.

CNBC reports that the plunge followed a 2.2 per cent contraction in the first quarter, and the two periods of back-to-back contraction mean that the country is technically in a recession.

Sectors exposed to government restrictions, including services, construction, and production all saw massive falls.

The numbers are twice as bad as the 10.6 per cent fall recorded in the United States during the same period.

https://www.rebelnew...y_major_economy

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2020 - 04:41 AM.

#802 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:36 AM

The figures are in, and the United Kingdom has been hit harder than any other major economy following the coronavirus pandemic.

The country’s economic output shrank by 20.4 per cent in the second quarter of 2020, the worst quarterly drop in UK history.

Preliminary figures from the UK’s Office for National Statistics show that the country’s economic struggles stem from its coronavirus-induced lockdowns.

CNBC reports that the plunge followed a 2.2 per cent contraction in the first quarter, and the two periods of back-to-back contraction mean that the country is technically in a recession.

Sectors exposed to government restrictions, including services, construction, and production all saw massive falls.

The numbers are twice as bad as the 10.6 per cent fall recorded in the United States during the same period.

https://www.rebelnew...y_major_economy

Won't economies recover?  Trump is saying "unbelievable numbers, like non anyone has ever seen."  Likely better than the dead and the ones who have longer lasting effects...

#803 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

Combine Covid with Brexit and that is a lot of serious change the UK economy needs to account for.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#804 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:42 AM

What’s interesting about Stockholm is despite no social distance or preventative measures other than personal hygiene, etc, only 15% of residents of Sweden’s highest density city have antibodies. The Swedes were expecting 40%.

Trust me they social distanced and their economy is not much better than other Nordic countries.  They just didn't lockdown.

#805 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:34 AM

I understand that for a lot of you liberals the answer to your own carelessness is to restrict the lawful actions and freedoms of others through “emergency” declarations and laws.

but that’s not really the country we all grew up in.

No need for name calling.  Typically a pandemic shouldn't be so political, I think the US has really thrown this into that arena.  Restrictions are always placed on the public for their safety.  You can look at hundreds of examples from what the public space and work space have changed over the last 200 years.  Restrictions everywhere as well as laws and bylaws.  If everyone had the same common sense we wouldn't need to, it's what Sweden was hoping for.  As people mess up new restrictions are placed.  Can't even buy lawn darts anymore, so forgive me, but yes this is exactly the country we've grown up in.  It just that now the country has changed, so new rules apply.  I'm pretty certain there were people upset when seatbelts were introduced, when smoking was banned in restaurants or when you could start buying liquor on Sundays that people were up in arms and blaming the government for protecting the average folk.

• jasmineshinga, Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#806 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

is calling someone a liberal "name-calling" these days?

#807 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:12 AM

The way you used it was for sure.  I wouldn't say I'm Liberal either so....  Classic name calling..

Edited by Ismo07, 13 August 2020 - 10:16 AM.

• Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#808 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:18 AM

I mean. It's one thing to call someone a liberal supporter versus labelling someone as liberal and attaching carelessness to the term.

• Ismo07 and Victoria Watcher like this

#809 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:58 AM

In my mind!

#810 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM

New Zealand is now putting people in camps. " All confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand will be placed quarantine facilities from now on. The mandatory quarantine will apply to both new cases and, if necessary, close family members who might be at risk." https://www.newshub....rom-now-on.html

Edited by dasmo, 13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM.

#811 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

they must have a sh$&y Supreme Court system there.

And no human rights museum.

I’d be taking those digeredoos right to court.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2020 - 03:10 PM.

• dasmo likes this

#812 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:08 PM

Russia's top respiratory doctor quits over 'gross violations' of medical ethics that rushed through Putin's coronavirus 'vaccine' "Chuchalin said it is vital to know 'the effect of the vaccine in the longer term', adding that  'the fact is that there are a number of biological substances that do not manifest themselves immediately, but only after a year or two.'"

http://www.mr-mehra....ctor-quits.html

#813 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:15 PM

nobody plans to wait “a year or two”.

#814 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:03 PM

Not Putin’s daughter, at least.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#815 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:15 AM

they are not my problem really.  they have to do what's right for them.  

there are lots of people that do not have covid that have been forced out of work.  they had no luxury either but the government made them stop working.

can't you see the problem here?  you say some must work so the government should force others out of work to protect those still working?  it makes no sense.

I'm saying that it's not as simple as you like to think it is.  People cannot choose to 100% avoid COVID, just like how jobs and the economy would have been negatively impacted even without restrictions.  

Edited by sukika, 14 August 2020 - 08:44 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#816 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:17 AM

Jobs and the economy would have been affected MORE without restrictions. For example, I wouldn't be sitting outside at pubs and restaurants spending money if the pandemic would have been allowed to run unabated.

• Ismo07, sukika and Brayvehart like this

#817 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:25 AM

No one ever talks about Sweden anymore. 

Still being watched...

https://www.msn.com/...artan-ntp-feeds

#818 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,837 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:59 AM

People cannot choose to 100% avoid COVID

YES. THEY. CAN.  i am sick and tired of hearing otherwise. 

if you treat covid as you would a malady where if you get within 10 feet of someone you automatically die instantly then you will 100% avoid covid.

it might cost you some freedom.  as have the current regulations.

it might even cost you your job.  as have the current regulations lost the jobs of millions.

it might cost you more money and - gasp! - some of your personal savings (food and prescriptions delivery etc.).  as have the current regulations cost us hundreds of billions.

it might cost you some money for N95 masks to visit the doctor.  but outside of that you can lock yourself in your home and stay there until the vaccine saves us all.

the problem arises when some of us - say for example ismo and myself - who are gainfully employed and have seen no personal financial hit from this, start demanding that others lose their jobs, money, homes and even families in some cases, in order to "keep us safe" from the virus so we can go about our lives more normally.  we demand to be kept safe by government closing or curtailing all kinds of workplaces.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 August 2020 - 09:12 AM.

#819 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:17 AM

YES. THEY. CAN.  i am sick and tired of hearing otherwise. 

but outside of that you can lock yourself in your home and stay there until the vaccine saves us all.

Excuse me, but how can you 100% avoid it if your job requires you to unlock yourself from your home and you can't afford to lock yourself inside otherwise?

• Brayvehart likes this

#820 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:22 AM

Still being watched...

https://www.msn.com/...artan-ntp-feeds

Le gasp! Imagine that, there is no correlation or causation between total impact to the economy and lockdown measures.

• Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users