• LocationSaanich

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:12 PM

The price of wood is insane these days.
  • todd likes this

#1402 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:44 PM

Just got the email from Spotify. The Fed/Province decision to start tax US tech companies means that my price is going up $1.05 a month to pay for the PST/GST. 

Just as I said, the tech companies are paying nothing, 100% of the cost gets passed to the consumer.

#1403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:06 PM

^ in the short term.

Come on you know how economics works.

#1404 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:20 PM

^ in the short term.

Come on you know how economics works.

Just got my email from Amazon as well. Exactly the same thing. Taxes are a pass through, nobody absorbs them.

Trudeau and Horgan were full of it (and they knew it) when they claimed this was making big tech "pay their share". Just another way of increasing taxes to pay for their pet projects.

Edited by spanky123, 25 March 2021 - 03:20 PM.

• Barrrister likes this

#1405 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:28 PM

FFS are you so ignorant to think 100% of subscribers will now subscribe with the tax added?

For at test, consider if $50 month was added.

Lots of Economics 101 failures following here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2021 - 03:29 PM.

#1406 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

^ I am sure that some subscribers will drop off but 99.9% won't. If you were happy with Netflix at $15 a month then an extra dollar and change for tax isn't the end of the work.

I am not saying that big tech shouldn't have to collect tax. It levels the playing field I agree. My complaint is how Governments are playing this as a tax on big tech as opposed to what it really is - a tax on the middle class.

#1407 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:07 AM

^ I am sure that some subscribers will drop off but 99.9% won't. If you were happy with Netflix at $15 a month then an extra dollar and change for tax isn't the end of the work.

I am not saying that big tech shouldn't have to collect tax. It levels the playing field I agree. My complaint is how Governments are playing this as a tax on big tech as opposed to what it really is - a tax on the middle class.

If you subscribe to Crave or another Canadian-based content service, you've already been paying tax. This levels the playing field. 

#1408 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:12 AM

If you subscribe to Crave or another Canadian-based content service, you've already been paying tax. This levels the playing field. 

Agreed so call it what it is, lets not pretend big tech is paying for it.

#1409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 03:17 PM

It reminds me of taxes on the rich that end up penalizing middle class families.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1410 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 03:33 PM

Agreed so call it what it is, lets not pretend big tech is paying for it.

Seems pretty clear.

The tax changes include the elimination of the provincial sales tax (PST) exemption for carbonated beverages that contain sugar, natural sweeteners or artificial sweeteners, and the addition of new PST registration and collection requirements for e-commerce businesses located outside B.C.

#1411 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 03:49 PM

https://www.bnnbloom...-plan-1.1529662

Canada takes aim at Netflix, Airbnb in $6.5B big-tech tax plan

Should read broke Federal and Provincial Governments using Netflix and Airbnb to increase tax base to try and start paying off debts.

Edited by spanky123, 26 March 2021 - 03:53 PM.

#1412 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

https://www.bnnbloom...-plan-1.1529662

Canada takes aim at Netflix, Airbnb in $6.5B big-tech tax plan

Should read broke Federal and Provincial Governments using Netflix and Airbnb to increase tax base to try and start paying off debts.

Maybe I'm not quite sure what you're trying to convey. It's pretty clear in the opening paragraph that individuals will be paying the tax.

Nothing wrong with collecting sales taxes on items that should have been taxed from the get go.

If you pay tax on a hotel why wouldn't you on an Airbnb booking?

If you pay tax on cable why wouldn't you on Netflix?

At least in BC, the tax change was proposed well before the pandemic. I guess you could say that they were planning on using it towards paying off debts. Isn't that what we should be doing?

• Brayvehart likes this

#1413 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:57 AM

Quebec and Ontario go into lockdown and BC tightens restrictions yet the stock market hits new highs.

Tells you how upside down we are. The Feds printing money drives the markets now not corporate fundamentals.

#1414 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:52 AM

Lady Gaga, Robert De Niro, and other high-profile celebrities have teamed up for a vague commercial promoting the so-called ‘WELL Health-Safety Seal,’ an expensive endorsement for business owners that many are panning as useless.

“If you want to get back to your favorite places and feel confident they have put your health and safety first,” Jennifer Lopez says as the video opens, followed by numerous other celebs chiming in to inform viewers: “look for the WELL Health-Safety Seal.”

“Everything may look the same, but the WELL Health-Safety Seal means that your health and safety are top of mind,” De Niro later says, as generic corporate-style music plays in the background.

The ad – directed by none other than Spike Lee – only vaguely explains what this seal actually is. Paul Scialla, the founder of IWBI’s (International WELL Building Institute) parent company Delos, shows up to promise that the safety endorsement is based on “years of input and research.”  

Every business from stadiums to banks is mentioned as a possible place where the seal can be found, with things like “cleaning and sanitizing procedures,” “emergency preparedness programs” and “health services” being considered.

The ad’s vagueness and the promise of a celebrity-approved seal of approval for businesses in a Covid-19-plagued world raised alarms on social media as the ad spread, with some mocking the “new world order” feel of the commercial and others pointing out some inconvenient details about this seal.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2021 - 08:53 AM.

#1415 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

I don’t know what castle is selling, but Home Depot will have much more reasonable prices.

Found out the hard way today Home Depot prices for a new hot water tank range from $365 to $450. T'was_not the way I expected to spend an afternoon in the midst of some vacation time off..... :(

#1416 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:18 PM

Found out the hard way today Home Depot prices for a new hot water tank range from $365 to $450. T'was_not the way I expected to spend an afternoon in the midst of some vacation time off..... :(

Can't be, inflation is only 1%

#1417 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

And the price of all the building materials to repair the flood damage?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1418 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:36 PM

And the price of all the building materials to repair the flood damage?

Fortunately nada as it sits on a concrete pad, fortunately. Also I had checked it early in the day since we weren't getting any hot water this morning and it appeared to be fine. Four hours later was a different story so its location plus me shutting off the water supply probably saved it from being potentially worse.

#1419 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:44 PM

That’s always a drag, ASE. Hope you can get that setup right quick.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1420 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:54 PM

First thing in the morning; I wasn't prepared to fork over an after hours $300 install fee. I don't need hot water *that* bad, heh.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users