Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#1521 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:25 AM

Got to get the workplace transmissions stopped if we're going to slow everything down. If you get sick at work and then spread it to a few other people outside of work then it's easy to see how it's contributing to the overall number.

Why are you against a mechanism in place that will help stop transmission? It doesn't make sense.

Remember that death of a child in Ontario because dad got it from work then spread it to the kid? Preventable.

Even the right leaning governments are calling for/implementing paid sick days. It just makes sense.

Edited by vortoozo, 12 May 2021 - 07:25 AM.

#1522 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:33 AM

because I believe that “workplace transmission” is only/mostly being touted as the solution because it’s one that the government can easily be SHOWN to be doing something. it’s optics.

#1523 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:37 AM

Nothing will stop transmission until travel is restricted. The sick days, etc, are bandaids. The real issue is the movement of people.

Right now both 9AM ferries are at 50% of capacity, with 25 minutes to go. Lots of essential travel taking place.
  • Matt R. and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1524 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:34 AM

I don't expect that travel will be any more restricted than it is now.

I forget where I heard the stat, but I think now that transmission is spreading in the community, travel is responsible for something like 5% of new cases. It's quite low. Workplace & social spread is much higher.

#1525 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:34 AM

Got to get the workplace transmissions stopped if we're going to slow everything down. If you get sick at work and then spread it to a few other people outside of work then it's easy to see how it's contributing to the overall number.

Why are you against a mechanism in place that will help stop transmission? It doesn't make sense.

Remember that death of a child in Ontario because dad got it from work then spread it to the kid? Preventable.

Even the right leaning governments are calling for/implementing paid sick days. It just makes sense.

Except that it is not only to curb the spread of covid, it is another nanny state policy which is going to be rolled over into a broader PTO requirement for businesses. Good businesses take care of their employees, they have to as it is a competitive labour market. Policies like this just penalize the owners who are trying to do the right thing and don't actually address anything as the scumbags know how to deke the system anyways. .

Mark my words on this as I am batting 1000. If the Government wants to step in and supersede my PTO policy with something of their own then fine - but then I no longer have a PTO policy of my own and will now be claiming every $$$ I can back from the Province and so will most other businesses in the same boat. That $600 a year per employee that I was absorbing will now become a $600 a year expense to WCB. 

Edited by spanky123, 12 May 2021 - 08:54 AM.

#1526 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:37 AM

I don't expect that travel will be any more restricted than it is now.

I forget where I heard the stat, but I think now that transmission is spreading in the community, travel is responsible for something like 5% of new cases. It's quite low. Workplace & social spread is much higher.

It's the most restricted it has ever been, though, and restrictions didn't come into effect for over a year into this pandemic.

• rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1527 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:45 AM

Nothing will stop transmission until travel is restricted. The sick days, etc, are bandaids. The real issue is the movement of people.

Right now both 9AM ferries are at 50% of capacity, with 25 minutes to go. Lots of essential travel taking place.

why is it your assumption that people that move about the province - wealthier, whiter people - are more likely to spread the virus to individuals they directly contact, than those who stay and work closer to home?  when all the data we have indicate that the spread is highest among less affluent, racialized communities.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2021 - 08:46 AM.

#1528 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:53 AM

It's the most restricted it has ever been, though, and restrictions didn't come into effect for over a year into this pandemic.

Accept the G&M broke the story this morning that 1/3rd of travelers are being exempted from travel restrictions when arriving at airports.

#1529 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:31 AM

Accept the G&M broke the story this morning that 1/3rd of travelers are being exempted from travel restrictions when arriving at airports.

Travel restrictions introduced only two months ago.

We've never had more restrictions in place than right now, 14 months into this pandemic.

Know it all.

#1530 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:34 AM

why is it your assumption that people that move about the province - wealthier, whiter people - are more likely to spread the virus to individuals they directly contact, than those who stay and work closer to home?  when all the data we have indicate that the spread is highest among less affluent, racialized communities.

Because I'm not seeing "wealthier" people camping in the back roads of Vancouver Island or traveling to the Island for bush parties.

To some subsets of the population covid is a joke, and they do what they want, act how they want, and just don't care. Go down to Beacon Hill Park and check out the caravans coming and going. Race and wealth have no relation to anything there.

• A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#1531 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:15 AM

B.C. providing $50 million to help tourism sector

Premier John Horgan says attractions in urban centres that see 75,000 or more visitors per year are eligible for up to $1 million. In rural areas, they must receive 15,000 or more visitors per year to qualify for up to $500,000. Horgan says this is a grant, not a loan, and the funds can be used for things like rent and payroll.

sounds like our art gallery will not make the cut.

butchart, craigdarroch will.  butterfly gardens probably.  not sure about the bug zoo.  :rtfm:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 May 2021 - 11:21 AM.

#1532 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:52 AM

^ The problem with this approach is that larger attractions are generally in a better position to ride out the pandemic then smaller ones. In any event it is about buying votes so if you are giving away money you might as well pick the ones who are best suited to support you.

I am thinking that this announcement implies that most restrictions are not being lifted on the 25th.

Edited by spanky123, 20 May 2021 - 03:04 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1533 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:19 PM

Butchart has been under more self-imposed restrictions than government ones though. Except for a couple of short periods, they have remained open, and could have made it easier etc. The main issue for them was the Christmas revenue loss, I'm sure.

That one made some sense, as the people volume for that is high, even though outdoors. The one that didn't make sense was thee drive through one by Ogden Point - and they'll get nothing cause they're new.

#1534 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:04 PM

^ Butchart has been open although the majority of their staff were let go. I am sure that net income was down although with season pass sales I am not sure by how much.

#1535 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 04:06 PM

I can see butchart’s revenue falling by 90%.

Butchart is highly dependent on international visitors, cruise ships, bus tours, etc.

#1536 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

hopefully after 100 years they have little debt.  

#1537 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:09 PM

I have an annual pass for this year and is it ever nice to go there without the crowds. I can’t wait to go back, actually, and take in the changes throughout the year at a much slower pace.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1538 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:29 PM

^ Butchart has been open although the majority of their staff were let go...

That’s odd to hear. What I have heard from friends who work there is that most if not all of the full-time, year-round staff have been retained, albeit re-assigned a lot. Seasonal staff are SOL, though.

#1539 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:32 PM

^ Correct full time staff were retained but most were part time and from what I understand most if not all of part time staff were let go..

Edited by spanky123, 20 May 2021 - 07:33 PM.

#1540 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

As for downtown and the parking transaction for those interested.  Every new set of restrictions comes a dip in people downtown and relates to parking transactions.  While every week after new set restrictions we see an increase in parking totals the last month and a half have crept quite slowly.  This week took a noticeable lift, still not huge but likely in anticipation of the long weekend and a reduction in the aforementioned restrictions.  Might not seem huge but a 5% over a week rather than between 0 and 2% is pretty good.  Expecting a pretty big day today...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users