COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#1801 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 09:02 AM

workforce never comes back full-time we need to re-think downtown, transit etc.

Governments and special interest groups appear to be in denial about this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1802 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:42 AM

Governments and special interest groups appear to be in denial about this.

I would put Government employees into a different category. The Province isn't likely to hire remotely and most employees are not going to leave their jobs. I think employees don't have the leverage they think they have. Having said that, I know of a couple of groups of women who have complained that returning to work is not safe with downtown being a gong show and they have been told they can stay home on that basis. That may be the angle Government employees wanting to remain home need to take and not covid.

Private sector is a different ball of wax. Employers are quite willing to hire remote employees now and employees are willing to change employers in many cases. I don't know how that will play out yet. I am hearing that many companies are having success hiring people from lower cost regions close to our time zone and many employees are finding that they can still work their jobs (or find other employers) from Parksville or Comox and have a much better quality of life for their families. 

My guess right now is that best case scenario is for 60% of Government employees to be working out of offices downtown on any given day and 35% of private sector employees.

Edited by spanky123, 03 July 2021 - 11:45 AM.

#1803 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:57 AM

I heard today from a provincial government employee.

they will not get new directives until September 7th.

#1804 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:58 AM

I would put Government employees into a different category. The Province isn't likely to hire remotely and most employees are not going to leave their jobs. I think employees don't have the leverage they think they have. Having said that, I know of a couple of groups of women who have complained that returning to work is not safe with downtown being a gong show and they have been told they can stay home on that basis. That may be the angle Government employees wanting to remain home need to take and not covid.

Private sector is a different ball of wax. Employers are quite willing to hire remote employees now and employees are willing to change employers in many cases. I don't know how that will play out yet. I am hearing that many companies are having success hiring people from lower cost regions close to our time zone and many employees are finding that they can still work their jobs (or find other employers) from Parksville or Comox and have a much better quality of life for their families.

My guess right now is that best case scenario is for 60% of Government employees to be working out of offices downtown on any given day and 35% of private sector employees.

I can’t blame anyone at ministry of health in Blanchard and Johnson for not wanting to go there. Haven’t a few of their employees already been assaulted randomly around the building?

#1805 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:27 PM

^ I think our very own G-Man got a whack on the noggin from a kook with a bat or a stick.

#1806 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 01:25 PM

We closed our office permanently. The landlord wanted to raise the rent and the lease was up so pretty easy decision.

#1807 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:20 PM

^ I think our very own G-Man got a whack on the noggin from a kook with a bat or a stick.

Oh no!! Poor G-man!

#1808 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:05 AM

The day G-Man was assaulted another VV’er was assaulted by the same man near Fisgard and Store, or Pandora and Store.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1809 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 12:16 PM

A new report by BMO Capital Markets shows Canadian households’ net worth rose an astonishing $2 trillion during the pandemic.

“That represents a titanic 17 per cent increase to $13.7 trillion, equal to 933 per cent of disposable income — up 50 ppts from 2019 levels, and double the ratio thirty years ago,” wrote Douglas Porter, BMO’s chief economist, who crunched the numbers. “U.S. household wealth has also seen a big boost in the face of the past year’s tough economic backdrop, but both the increase and the wealth-to-income ratio are even more overwhelming in Canada.”

According to BMO, the average Canadian household now has more than $1 million in total assets, even after accounting for debt.

https://financialpos...a-housing-story

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 July 2021 - 12:16 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1810 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2021 - 12:18 PM

According to BMO, the average Canadian household now has more than $1 million in total assets, even after accounting for debt.

If I win the lottery maybe, but there's no way I'm included in that average :D :(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1811 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 12:42 PM

you’re bringing DOWN the average.
  • Rob Randall and sebberry like this

#1812 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2021 - 12:48 PM

Just as long as I can keep working well into retirement, I'll be fine :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1813 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

^ The Feds have proven that printing money has a multiplier effect!

Sad that the party people elected to try and end inequality has only accelerated it.

#1814 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

A new report by BMO Capital Markets shows Canadian households’ net worth rose an astonishing $2 trillion during the pandemic.

“That represents a titanic 17 per cent increase..."

I believe that represents the dollar dropping in value by 17%.

• Barrrister likes this

#1815 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 05:05 PM

Wait until the party is over and we have to start paying the bills!
  • phx likes this

#1816 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 10:47 AM

Downtown quickly getting busier... On-street short term parking up to 88% of 2019 July transactions during this 3 day stretch...  Parkade use growing as well...  Nice to see...

• Hotel Mike, A Girl is No one and Brayvehart like this

#1817 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 12:12 PM

Downtown quickly getting busier... On-street short term parking up to 88% of 2019 July transactions during this 3 day stretch...  Parkade use growing as well...  Nice to see...

350 empty spaces at the Broughton St parkade at noon today :-)

#1818 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 12:32 PM

350 empty spaces at the Broughton St parkade at noon today :-)

And 380 last week...  Not sure of the accuracy right now of that counter as it's not close to being full so not completely worried about it.  Yates is starting to fill daily, Centennial and Johnson with spots only on the roof...  You're not a half glass full guy are you?  Broughton would be more of an illustration of commuters not returning as fast as shoppers and downtown users, which I was trying to highlight...

Edited by Ismo07, 08 July 2021 - 12:36 PM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1819 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:00 AM

Meanwhile ...... :)

The 'Victoria Tax' in the form of lower wages than elsewhere is about to get another hit. 

".....It said the median wage in B.C. for a tech worker was $75,626 Cdn, while in Seattle it was $108,700 US, $115,318 US in San Francisco and $121,792 US in San Jose."

"Trevor said the company has fielded interest from workers in B.C., Alberta and Ontario. It has also heard from Canadians working in the U.S. who want to return to Canada and a number of tech workers who have good jobs in Canada but are being asked to return to offices after working remotely. “They don’t want to go back [into the office] just yet,” he said. “So they are looking around for options.”  https://www.timescol...nada-1.24340935

Edited by VIResident, 11 July 2021 - 06:01 AM.

#1820 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:18 AM

^ This is a little misleading. The major reason why tech salaries are lower in Canada is because of the diversity of work. A customer support rep and a senior programmer are both called tech workers although the salaries are obviously very different. There are lots of programmers in Canada working remotely for US companies but the big employee numbers from firms like Amazon, Google, eBay, etc tend to be less skilled workers and few senior management. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users