Photo

Pubs - what's open/closed during pandemic w/updates

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#81 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:41 PM

Might be a good time for the BC separatist movement?

#82 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

We have also stopped shopping except for essentials once every few weeks, whereas we would go out and browse for the fun of it in the past. Lining up, standing apart, plastic shields and a sad dystopic feeling in the air. The covid reaction at least cured us of our spending habits. 

i do agree with you about shopping when you have to stand in line for 20 minutes to go into a clothing store because they are only allowing 10 people in at a time really takes the enjoyment out of shopping, then add to that you almost feel the pressure to buy something instead of just browsing, today i was going to check out marshalls hillside, as soon as i saw the line i said nope! and walked away then stood in another line at shoppers to pick up milk

• jsan likes this

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:40 AM

For the first time ever I’m going to start buying clothing online. I just can’t do these line-ups.
  • jsan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

Maybe we should start the list of places that haven’t reopened. I was going to mention flying Pig, which was brought up in its own thread. Other notable places not reopened yet?

#85 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:14 PM

Has anyone been to Leopold's either pre- or since the pandemic? Menu looks like fairly standard fare to me, however its prairie-based so the Regina-born wife wants to go so she can get her "Saskatchewan fix". The only reference to Covid is a brief statement advising that the Winnipeg location is only open for deliveries/takeout......which does me little good sitting here in Victoria.

#86 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:16 PM

There is Saskatchewan food?

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:22 PM

I went a couple or weeks ago. It’s like Warehouse, I thought.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:31 PM

Saskatoon berry pie; pemmican; deer sausage; something called Regina-style pizza (I think its special topping is road kill gopher meat)....

• Redd42 likes this

#89 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:32 PM

^Let me get my shoes on, I'm going to Leopold's.

#90 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:33 PM

I went a couple or weeks ago. It’s like Warehouse, I thought.

So you can dine in then? As the local outlet wasn't mentioned on the corporate site I assumed so but I do not like to assume. Humor me since I'm elderly and don't go out much - what is this Warehouse you speak of, and is that a favorable (or not) comparison? And would you go back again which is the real litmus test question....

• Matt R. likes this

#91 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:17 PM

All day breakfast and Chinese Canadian sweet and sour.

Matt.
  • m3m and JohnsonStBridge like this

#92 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:50 PM

Has anyone been to Leopold's either pre- or since the pandemic? Menu looks like fairly standard fare to me, however its prairie-based so the Regina-born wife wants to go so she can get her "Saskatchewan fix". The only reference to Covid is a brief statement advising that the Winnipeg location is only open for deliveries/takeout......which does me little good sitting here in Victoria.

I stuck my nose in the door a month or two back just to look around.  At first glance it seems like an OK place.  Probably won't get in for a beer until I've got my covid shots, i.e. probably summer at the soonest.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:57 AM

So you can dine in then? As the local outlet wasn't mentioned on the corporate site I assumed so but I do not like to assume. Humor me since I'm elderly and don't go out much - what is this Warehouse you speak of, and is that a favorable (or not) comparison? And would you go back again which is the real litmus test question....

Warehouse is a bar that opened in the former Reef spot so both Leopold’s and Warehouse are on the same block.

Warehouse is the Canadian leader in the “style” of pub Leopold’s is emulating. So think of the two as an IKEA and a Jysk. Warehouse is also known for all dishes being $5.95.

I only had a beer at Leopold’s, my colleague had a burger or something like that and he liked it. The staff were friendly and I think it’s a chill place for a beer or a snack. If I didn’t know the chain originated in Sask I wouldn’t have been tipped off by anything inside the restaurant. Maybe there are food items local to Regina but again, they didn’t jump out at me.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

#94 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:17 AM

Warehouse is also known for all dishes being $5.95.

Not sure if this is still the case - I browsed their menu on SkiptheDishes a week or two ago, and food items are now 7.95, 8.95 or 9.95. Still super cheap, but I guess they've had to raise the prices a bit since COVID.

Did Leopold's take debit, or is it just cash or credit like Warehouse (which I nearly always forget, and have to add an extra $3.50 to my meal to use their ATM...)

#95 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:22 AM

^Could be their menu items are more expensive on the delivery apps. I've noticed that for some restaurants in town.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:31 AM

Right, the apps commonly price items at a higher price. I think for Warehouse the cheap food is really only a viable perk if you dine in and imbibe on expensive booze :)

Know it all.

#97 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:55 AM

Ahh, that makes sense. I get their poutine for a quick lunch now and then but it's been a few months.

#98 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 December 2020 - 12:12 PM

I know the Churchill was/is doing a reno. Have they re-opened yet?

#99 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:35 PM

We went to the Warehouse for lunch one day, the food was cheap but the drinks sure weren't.

Felt sick an hour later so haven't been back.

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:29 AM

Well yeesh, you gotta learn to drink if you’re going to hit the bars downtown.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users