Photo

42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1968 replies to this topic

#1661 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:07 AM

I just knew Horgan was secretly into coal.

Former B.C. premier John Horgan joins board of coal business

John Horgan is joining the board of Elk Valley Resources, an enterprise that is in the process of being spun off from Vancouver-based Teck Resources

https://www.timescol...usiness-6794914

“I’ve got other things that I am going to be working on that may be more to the taste of those who would kick up some dust, but the people that are kicking up dust, oftentimes, kick it up for the sake of kicking it up,” Mr. Horgan said in an interview.

“I don’t have a lot of time any more, none in fact, for public comment on my world view, or what I am doing with my time. I don’t want to be snippy about it, but there are others that are making policy decisions.”

C31092FA-B1EC-4CBD-87AF-07E7B2F8C71C.jpeg

Edited by todd, 07 April 2023 - 08:08 AM.

#1662 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:12 AM

Maybe it was an April Fools joke?

#1663 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:23 AM

Maybe it was an April Fools joke?

I pity the fool. I do!

#1664 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 10:13 AM

from  Elk Valley Coal

https://elkvalleycoa...lley-resources/

British Columbia’s retired Premier John Horgan is taking a job in the coal industry as a board member of Teck’s Elk Valley Resources spinoff. Horgan commented to the Globe and Mail that he is not worried about the criticism the move may draw.

Teck Resources Limited announced last month the reorganization of its business to separate Teck into two independent, publicly-listed companies: Teck Metals Corp. and Elk Valley Resources Ltd. (EVR). EVR will be a high-margin Canadian steelmaking coal producer, focused on long-term cash generation and providing cash returns to shareholders, with significant equity value accretion potential. Read more here.

The former B.C. premier John Horgan (63) fully retired from provincial politics and left his post as MLA for Langford-Juan de Fuca on Vancouver Island last month. “I’m so fortunate to have this opportunity… How did I get to be so lucky?” he said during an emotional retirement address to the B.C. Legislature.

Horgan is the only two-term premier in the history of B.C.’s New Democratic party after winning a decisive second term in a snap election during the first year of the pandemic in 2020.

During that second term, he became the longest-serving NDP premier in provincial history.

Horgan began his career in politics as a legislative assistant in the 1990s, working in a number of policy roles across several ministries before winning his first term as an MLA in what was then known as the riding of Malahat-Juan de Fuca in 2005.

He served as Leader of the Opposition from 2014 to 2017.

We welcome Horgan to the Elk Valley and wish him well in his new job in the coal industry!

Edited by UDeMan, 07 April 2023 - 10:16 AM.

#1665 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 10:16 AM

That’s not the source. That’s an independent industry newsletter.

And the company itself has issued no statement.

The G&M has a “statement” from a real name on the inside, but does not say where that came from. Or how and when Horgan spoke to them.

I think it might well be a clever joke.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2023 - 10:17 AM.

#1666 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 12:43 PM

Nothing is official until a shareholder vote scheduled for April 26th, so there is no statement to issue, yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1667 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 05:20 AM

Personal trainer Camille Currie will be the B.C. Green Party’s candidate for the Langford-Juan de Fuca riding, which has been left vacant by the retirement of former premier John Horgan.

#1668 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:05 AM

The headline is not incorrect, but see if what you think they are delivering, matches up with your expectations when you see the unit count below.

B.C., Metro Vancouver partner to develop thousands of new affordable homes

Port Coquitlam
Wednesday, April 12, 2023 10:00 AM
The Province, through BC Housing, and Metro Vancouver, through the Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation, are working collaboratively to build new affordable housing for people in the Metro Vancouver region.

“Through our new Homes for People action plan, our government has signalled that we are committed to working with local governments to address the urgent need for housing in our province and deliver the homes people need, faster,” said Ravi Kahlon, Minister of Housing. “The new units created through this partnership with Metro Vancouver will help create more affordable, sustainable and safer communities. We will continue to work with our partners to build safe and affordable housing that enables people thrive.”

BC Housing and Metro Vancouver have signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) that will result in the construction of approximately 2,000 affordable homes over the next 10 years at priority sites identified by Metro Vancouver. The first phase includes the following sites:

788 West 13th Ave., Vancouver
7730-6th St, Burnaby
7388 Southwynde Ave., Burnaby
19085-119B Ave., Pitt Meadows
1144 Inlet St., Coquitlam

===========

If you were thinking 200 units per year, you’d be bang on. But I suspect most of us expected something a little more significant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1669 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:39 AM

2000 is literally the smallest number that can technically be referred to as "thousands". 

#1670 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:48 AM

I know, right!?  :banana:

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1671 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 01:27 PM

Ravi Parmar to seek NDP nomination for John Horgan's former seat

Ravi Parmar was the youngest school trustee in Canada when he was first elected in 2014 and began serving as chairman in 2017 at the age of 22.

#1672 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 06:27 AM

Green candidate:

Camille Currie

I am a provincially-recognized leader who has responded with full force to the doctor crisis in British Columbia. By bringing together social media, news media and like-minded activists to expose the crisis from the patient’s perspective, I motivated over 50,000 individuals to sign a petition which was submitted to the Legislature in May 2022, demanding action and accountability. My goal has always been clear: a better, safer, healthier future for those in BC.

Know it all.

#1673 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 06:31 AM

^ Whatever.  She is a personal trainer for a living.

#1674 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 13 April 2023 - 09:57 AM

^ Whatever.  She is a personal trainer for a living.

She also does the financial management for the family business. She's good organizer and also good at governance. Never been sure what Greens stand for, other than green stuff.

#1675 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 10:01 AM

...Never been sure what Greens stand for, other than green stuff.

They enabled the NDP to come to power in BC in 2017. That alone makes them persona non grata in my books.

#1676 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 10:35 AM

They were supposed to be champions of the environment. Now they are stooges of the Davos cult.

#1677 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 11:11 AM

They were supposed to be champions of the environment. Now they are stooges of the Davos cult.

A distinction without a difference.

#1678 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 07:50 AM

A Vancouver MLA moved to Colwood, and has racked up massive sums of dollars on travel expenses to his riding. He says he’s not the worst when it comes to travel expenses. But his expenses are largely for travel to his riding, for riding business, instead of MLA travel to Victoria to attend the legislature. He charges back for that, too, for travel from Colwood.

Vancouver-West End NDP MLA Spencer ­Chandra Herbert was forced to explain Thursday why taxpayers are footing the bill for thousands of dollars in helicopter rides to Vancouver when his permanent residence is now in Colwood, 14 kilometres from the B.C. Legislature.

… primary residence to Greater Victoria in 2019, he’s billed for $70,000 in travel expenses.

- https://vancouversun...travel-expenses

Know it all.

#1679 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:01 AM

Yikes. Take the ferry. A lot cheaper. I want to see why Michael Lee’s is so high too.

#1680 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:13 AM

It’s wonky that he didn’t disclose he no longer lived in his riding while campaigning in 2020.
  • Awaiting Juno and FogPub like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users