42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#241 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

And for the next 20 pages, stick around to watch the argument about a coalition not being a coalition.

Where's that banana.

Ope, here it is.

:banana:

an argument is an exchange of differing or opposing views...

dictionary definitions are, on the other hand, simply a statement of fact...

#242 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:49 AM

Still waiting for my Saanich-Gulf Islands BC Conservative candidate to appear.... Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? 

You might be waiting a while. The BC Conservatives only managed to field 10 candidates across the whole province in the 2017 election. That party's never been able to get its stuff together.

#243 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:05 AM

^ I don't think the BC Conservatives will ever name a candidate in the federal riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands  ;)

Saanich North and the Island, however, has a better chance of seeing a BC Conservative name on the ballot

#244 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:14 AM

^ I don't think the BC Conservatives will ever name a candidate in the federal riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands  ;)

Saanich North and the Island, however, has a better chance of seeing a BC Conservative name on the ballot

Yup, my mistake. Still waiting though.  :thumbsup:

#245 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

Interesting that the polling right now is positive for BCNDP, especially considering that most of what's been going on lately has been them (and other parties) standing back and letting the PHO make decisions on how to handle this health crisis. When I think specifically on how they're handling the economic crisis brought on by the health crisis, I can't say I'm all that impressed. Keeping liquor stores and cannabis dispensaries open seems like a no brainer considering that's just from the 1918 playbook (the taxes from something that also helps keep people entertained while at home is no brainer) and same with other things. 

When talking about how to help businesses, there's been some funding announcements but I struggle to understand how they make sense when there's no telling how long it'll take for certain industries to come back. 

The one thing I've been waiting for is to hear them say that they're repealing the EHT. It didn't make sense when it was brought in, the messaging was terrible ("businesses have to pay their fair share") and the fact is most of the health budget is paid for through taxes anyway. And it's not just businesses but government and non-profit entities too. Seems like low-hanging fruit really.

• rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#246 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:56 PM

If Horgan had broken up the coalition, would the Liberals not immediately be back in power again? It was the NDP/Green coalition that usurped power from the duly-elected Liberal party in the first place.

Well they never formed the new government, I'm guessing Wilkinson would have to approach the LG and ask her to dissolve parliament and let him form government which I doubt would happen.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#247 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:36 AM

Interesting that the polling right now is positive for BCNDP, especially considering that most of what's been going on lately has been them (and other parties) standing back and letting the PHO make decisions on how to handle this health crisis....

Horgan worked at The Keg, and was a policy guy for the Province ... Bonnie Henry is a doctor.

I'll continue to take my medical advice from a doctor, not a Keg waiter.

The Keg waiter can continue to try and explain his logic of calling an election during a world wide pandemic, other than the obvious explanation that he's a textbook coward.

Edited by Spy Black, 24 September 2020 - 05:37 AM.

#248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:54 AM

The leader of the Conservatives has contracted COVID, Trudeau’s wife had contracted COVID, Bill Morneau did, Yves Blanchet’s wife tested positive, as did a Quebec mayor which then lead to multiple cabinet ministers having to isolate.

Politicians and their families are more vulnerable to contagion due to the nature of their work, which requires lots of travel and mingling with people when they do. Having to campaign across large districts for some MLA candidates and the inevitable larger gatherings/meetings should not have been in the cards this fall as Trudeau warns the country to expect things to get worse in the coming weeks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#249 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

O'Toole is recovering from Covid-19 yet he seems perfectly healthy in his post-Throne Speech address:

https://www.youtube....h?v=x541H5zD0wQ

Not a sniffle, not a cough, nothing. Did he actually have it, or is the virus just way less dangerous to people under the age of 80 than the government wants us to believe?

#250 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:14 AM

Suggesting that the virus is less dangerous based on the observed symptoms of a single patient over a pre-recorded video clip is pretty unscientific. 

What O'Toole appearing and feeling well should reinforce is that the virus can be readily transmitted by pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic infections. 

#251 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

Horgan trying to make speech currently. car alarm(i assume) in background keeps starting

Edited by todd, 24 September 2020 - 08:40 AM.

#252 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:50 AM

^Still going.

#253 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:53 AM

Richard Zussman is confirming car alarm.
  • Matt R. likes this

#254 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:02 AM

The NDP could run a fire hydrant in Victoria Beacon Hill and it would get elected. Think the true race in this riding is going to be for the nomination in the first place. 

Yeah, the BC Liberals in there current state will never pick up either of the Victoria seats. If we have some sort of realignment in the next decade where most of the BC Liberals join up with the Conservatives to form some sort of centre-right "BC Party" and a rump Liberal party that is much more similar to the federal Liberals in ideology continues to exist, I think they'd be competitive in seats like that though.

#255 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:14 AM

2017 was the Liberals big south island push with targeted announcements with the commuter train, and high profile candidates like Barb Desjardins and it didn't really work out

#256 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:18 AM

Horgan trying to make speech currently. car alarm(i assume) in background keeps starting

^Still going.

https://www.bcliberals.com/

#257 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:06 AM

Grace Lore won the NDP nomination in Victoria-Beacon Hill, and Murray Rankin won the NDP nomination in Oak Bay-Gordon Head.

Karen Bill is the BC Liberal candidate in Victoria-Beacon Hill yet again. So.... NDP wins here.

Edited by gstc84, 24 September 2020 - 10:07 AM.

#258 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:26 AM

Grace Lore won the NDP nomination in Victoria-Beacon Hill, and Murray Rankin won the NDP nomination in Oak Bay-Gordon Head.

Karen Bill is the BC Liberal candidate in Victoria-Beacon Hill yet again. So.... NDP wins here.

Who's the Green Candidate here?  As long as it isn't Isitt there might be a chance Victoria Beacon Hill goes Green.

#259 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:42 AM

Who's the Green Candidate here?  As long as it isn't Isitt there might be a chance Victoria Beacon Hill goes Green.

As far as I know, Jeremy Caradonna is the only one who's publicly expressed that he's pursuing the Green nomination. I've only seen the rumours about Isitt on this forum.

#260 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:56 AM

https://338canada.com/bc/

The 338 Canada project has applied its statistical model based on opinion polling, electoral history and demographic data to the BC Election. Initial projections have a NDP majority at 55 seats. Since no opinion polls have been released since the dissolution of the Legislature this really reflects pre-campaign standings.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users