Photo

42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1968 replies to this topic

#641 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

The ndp caused this issue - it was further exacerbated by the liberals. If we didn’t close down the mental hospitals & stopped
Sweeping issues under the rug -
We wouldn’t be dealing with this insanity.
It will probably take decades to fix it.
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#642 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:13 PM

Interesting you posted that at.. 4:20.

#643 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for finding that.  While I agree with the statement it falls short of stating what she intends to support for BHP over the short term.  What is the plan?

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#644 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

...While I agree with the statement it falls short of stating what she intends to support for BHP over the short term...

Like any good politician, she was deliberately ambiguous with her message.

#645 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:21 PM

We got out nice and early today and voted early at the Esquimalt Rec Center; there was one person leaving as we arrived and only one ahead of us - easy peasy, and we were in and out in 5 mins tops. For anyone who especially has concerns about voting in person viz covid I highly recommend voting early and avoid the crowds.

Held my nose and did my civic duty so now all I have to do is sit back and await the results. Although unhappy we've been forced into this unnecessary election there is nothing left to do now but sit back and in all likelihood simply watch and wait to see how big a majority Horgan winds up with.....

• jasmineshinga and On the Level like this

#646 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:15 PM

...Although unhappy we've been forced into this unnecessary election there is nothing left to do now but sit back and in all likelihood simply watch and wait to see how big a majority Horgan winds up with.....

I'll sleep better knowing I didn't contribute to the majority.

#647 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:24 PM

I'll sleep better knowing I didn't contribute to the majority.

I don't know if I can.  The Greens without Weaver are a bunch of ideologs preaching housing first and other such uneducated nonsense for simpletons.  The Liberals want to model our finances like Alberta's and bankrupt us with no PST.  My guess is that they have no realistic vision of forming government so they know they wouldn't need to live up to such a stupid promise.  The NDP in a majority is too entrenched with special interests which is why we see the 7x24 camping issue.  They should have called out Our place for having no spine and no interest in the homeless beyond $$.  We can staff Home Depot through a pandemic but everyone at Our Place is kicking back on CEB indicating their services are not really needed.  Pathetic.

The whole thing is a mess.

Edited by On the Level, 18 October 2020 - 06:27 PM.

• Wayne, rmpeers and JohnsonStBridge like this

#648 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:28 PM

^ CERB

• Matt R. likes this

#649 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:31 PM

...The whole thing is a mess.

Agreed, but in my riding my vote will be essentially meaningless. The best I can hope for these days is that I didn't contribute to making things worse.

#650 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:31 PM

I don't know if I can.  The Greens without Weaver are a bunch of ideologs preaching housing first and other such uneducated nonsense for simpletons.  The Liberals want to model our finances like Alberta's and bankrupt us with no PST.  My guess is that they have no realistic vision of forming government so they know they wouldn't need to live up to such a stupid promise.  The NDP in a majority is too entrenched with special interests which is why we see the 7x24 camping issue.  They should have called out Our place for having no spine and no interest in the homeless beyond $$.  We can staff Home Depot through a pandemic but everyone at Our Place is kicking back on CEB indicating their services are not really needed.  Pathetic.

The whole thing is a mess.

Yup....and to top it off I was very disappointed to discover recently that the party I would vote for in all of this mess wasn't running a candidate in our riding hence having to wince and vote for the gang I did - which was and is a long way in my mind behind my preferred option. ****........

#651 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:26 PM

^ CERB

^CRB

Matt.

#652 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:52 PM

I'm sorry, but why are the BC Liberals bringing communism or at least corporate welfare to cell phones?

https://www.timescol...ocks-1.24222805

#653 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:25 AM

I'm sorry, but why are the BC Liberals bringing communism or at least corporate welfare to cell phones?

https://www.timescol...ocks-1.24222805

Er...where are you getting 'communism' out of that?

#654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:20 AM

Er...where are you getting 'communism' out of that?

the state plans to control or at least decide or influence where some private services (cell, internet) will go.

for example you might ask yourself:  "why should us taxpayers from mostly urban areas subsidize the internet and cellphones coverage for rural residents?"

can't rural residents pay their own way?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 October 2020 - 03:25 AM.

#655 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,233 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:42 AM

Date: October 17, 2020 at 10:00:34 AM PDT
Subject: Green Party of Vancouver Statement on ‘Freedom Rally’ scheduled this weekend

Dear,
I am writing to share with you the Green Party of Vancouver's position on the 'freedom rally' scheduled for this weekend.

As a Party, Board, and Caucus we stand united against hate, bigotry, and misinformation in all forms. We see this rally as divisive and dangerous and have taken the following actions against it.
We have sent out a press release making our position clear to the media and the public, we have signed on in support of a letter of concern initiated by the Vancouver & District Labour Council (VDLC), and we are encouraging all of our members, supporters and the public to speak out against hatred and misinformation wherever and whenever they witness it.
You can read our full press release below.
Thank you for your continued support. We hope you are staying safe and healthy through these trying times.
Sincerely,
Anthony Hughes
Chair of the Green Party of Vancouver
For immediate release
October 17, 2020
Green Party of Vancouver Statement on ‘Freedom Rally’ scheduled this weekend
VANCOUVER, B.C. – The Green Party of Vancouver stands in strong opposition to the dangerous and deceptive two-day ‘freedom rally’ scheduled for this weekend in Vancouver. While we unequivocally support the right to free speech and political protests, the rally and its organizers are promoting inaccurate, divisive, and harmful information which directly oppose Greens’ commitment to evidence-based policies and a healthy participatory democracy.
The Party, backed by its full Caucus and Board, has signed on to the letter of concern put out by the Vancouver & District Labour Council (VDLC) and are supporting their effort to shed light on the growing movement of conspiracy theorists, hate-groups, and those spreading misinformation about Covid-19. 
“We at the Green Party have serious concerns regarding this event and others like it which have taken place over the past few months” said Anthony Hughes, Chair of the Green Party of Vancouver.
“As Greens our founding values include Non-violence, Social Justice, and Respect for Diversity; as such we stand staunchly opposed to all forms of hate and bigotry, as well as any groups or individuals who put the public’s safety at risk with misinformation.
“We want to be clear that hate and untruths in any form go against our Green values and our code of conduct, and we will always stand up against anyone furthering hatred and misinformation.”
Green Party of Vancouver School Trustee Lois Chan-Pedley fears the impact it will have on students in Vancouver.
“We have seen how divisive rhetoric and misinformation about Covid-19 in America has put the health and safety of students at risk,” said Chan-Pedley. “The consequences are long term and far-reaching. We have to combat this by making a united stand against this dangerous movement.”
Stuart Mackinnon, Green Party Park Board Commissioner, is concerned about how quickly this movement and its message could spread.
“In our role at Parks, we’ve seen a lot of untruths and falsehoods propagate since the pandemic began,” said Mackinnon.
“The rhetoric we’ve seen coming from proponents and supporters of the rally has become increasingly hateful and deceitful; it puts people’s physical, mental and emotional wellbeing at risk at a time when people are already struggling.”
City Councillor Pete Fry stressed the importance of standing up to bigotry.
“None of us can afford to shirk away from these difficult conversations,” said Fry.
“We need to stand firmly against hate, racism, and bigotry in all forms, shed light on untruths, and be clear about the dangerous divisive nature of these types of events and the kinds of rhetoric and anger they foster.”
The Green Party of Vancouver will not be taking part in any in-person events opposing this rally in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Instead the Party is encouraging their supporters and the public to speak out against hatred and misinformation wherever and whenever they witness it.
-30-
More Information:
VDLC Letter of Concern

#656 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,233 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:45 AM

^^^ As they spread hate and misinformation about those organizing and attending the freedom rally. The message at that rally was anything but those things. It's sickening how they spread misinformation and hate and bigotry in the name of the opposite. 

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#657 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:55 AM

We must all think the same things, believe all of the same things and always agree with each other, and that’s how we will usher in a society that respects all points of view and celebrates diversity.
  • Nparker, dasmo, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#658 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

The Gitxsan Government is calling for the NDP to remove Nathan Cullen following his hot mic remarks about chief Roy James Jr.

Cullen made the remarks at an all candidates meeting. Horgan has already said the shame Cullen feels is enough of a repercussion.

So we have a former MP, who the NDP installed into the riding despite their own equality mandate that had already drawn a First Nations contender, and now Cullen has made a disparaging remark about the area’s chief, and Horgan is still backing him.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#659 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:14 AM

Orwellian doesn't even begin to describe that letter

#660 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,233 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:19 AM

It gets worse

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)