42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#981 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:38 PM

It looks like the Green Candidate will not win in West Vancouver Sea-to-Sky ; the Liberal incumbent there has finished ahead by 41 votes, and this triggers an automatic recount.

Recount affirms B.C. Liberal narrowly beats Green in West Vancouver-Sea to Sky. https://www.timescol...-sky-1.24241010

#982 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:08 PM

So the taxpayers get to finance a 2 member "party" in the legislature.

#983 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:43 PM

Aren't defenders of capitalism always saying that it drives innovation? So why should we be content to sit back, shrug and say "our LNG is less awful for the planet than other sources" rather than investing more in new, more sustainable, less harmful energy sources/technologies like the Greens advocate for?

I agree they still need more of a cohesive vision beyond environmental protection if they ever want to lead the government, but they certainly deserve a stronger voice than our political system has given them.

I don't see what capitalism has to do with anything 

#984 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:31 PM

New cabinet announced: https://news.gov.bc....PREM0102-001966

#985 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:41 PM

Our own Grace Lore as parliementary secretary (gender equity no less!)

Edited by A Girl is No one, 26 November 2020 - 03:42 PM.

#986 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:43 PM

She's not my Grace Lore.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#987 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:01 PM

I hope you know I was being cynical.... 😁
  • Nparker likes this

#988 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:56 AM

Kevin Falcon said he left politics because of his young family and, ironically, that same reason — his kids and other B.C. youngsters — brought him back.

Now 58, the former cabinet minister, family man and avid mountain biker who quit politics after 12 years in 2012 has since worked as a vice-president at Anthem Capital.

https://www.kamloops...rals-1.24347536

Falcon said mental-health and addictions issues require a “much bolder response,” including more effective addiction recovery programs. He said problems facing business owners on Victoria Street West are being replicated in other communities in B.C.

“A real concern I have today is that the focus of the current government is more about how do we provide safe drugs to this population and there’s not enough talk about how do we actually get them off of their addictions into recovery, so that they can become contributing members of society again,” he said.

“And I think that is a massive gap that we need to start talking about. Yes, we need safe drugs because we don’t want people dying, for sure, but we cannot just have a system that is maintaining a lifestyle that is highly dangerous to the individuals that are addicted to very dangerous drugs.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 05:58 AM.

• Nparker and LJ like this

#989 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:07 AM

Kevin Falcon said he left politics because of his young family and, ironically, that same reason — his kids and other B.C. youngsters — brought him back.

Now 58, the former cabinet minister, family man and avid mountain biker who quit politics after 12 years in 2012 has since worked as a vice-president at Anthem Capital.

https://www.kamloops...rals-1.24347536

Falcon said mental-health and addictions issues require a “much bolder response,” including more effective addiction recovery programs. He said problems facing business owners on Victoria Street West are being replicated in other communities in B.C.

“A real concern I have today is that the focus of the current government is more about how do we provide safe drugs to this population and there’s not enough talk about how do we actually get them off of their addictions into recovery, so that they can become contributing members of society again,” he said.

“And I think that is a massive gap that we need to start talking about. Yes, we need safe drugs because we don’t want people dying, for sure, but we cannot just have a system that is maintaining a lifestyle that is highly dangerous to the individuals that are addicted to very dangerous drugs.”

You can't force people to accept treatment, it just doesn't work. Statistics also show that harm reduction doesn't encourage use, in fact it encourages people to seek treatment on their own imitative. So if we're thinking about what's best for the individual and society writ-large, harm reduction and safe supply are by far the best option. 

• Brayvehart and m3m like this

#990 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:15 AM

^ how does it work in Japan? Or Portugal where treatment is indeed compulsory.

#991 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

^ You can’t legally force people into treatment. One of our rights in Canada is to abuse yourself as you see fit.

I think it is nonsense though to claim that giving people free drugs and supplies encourages them to quit.

#992 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:29 AM

^ how does it work in Japan? 

3,992 homeless people in the entire country.

#993 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:30 AM

^ You can’t legally force people into treatment. One of our rights in Canada is to abuse yourself as you see fit.

I think it is nonsense though to claim that giving people free drugs and supplies encourages them to quit.

you can't force people to pay income taxes either.  but you can jail them if they do not.

#994 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:52 AM

Jail, or long term rehab in a nice facility.

You choose.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#995 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:56 AM

3,992 homeless people in the entire country.

there’s also almost no litter on the streets and no public trash cans I guess things just work differently in different countries

https://youtu.be/yiw2NULDjKM

Edited by todd, 06 August 2021 - 08:08 AM.

#996 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:54 AM

Premier John Horgan has been diagnosed with cancer following a throat biopsy. In a statement, Horgan said that his prognosis is good and that he is expected to make a full recovery.

Horgan will undergo radiation treatment that is expected to last until the end of December and may miss some in-person meetings and events.

#997 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:00 AM

Presumably, the cancer is a result of COVID. 

In all seriousness, I wish him a speedy and successful recovery.

#998 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:12 AM

Our own Grace Lore as parliementary secretary (gender equity no less!)

Isn’t the term “secretary” outdated, should be “parliamentary assistant”?

Edited by todd, 04 November 2021 - 11:15 AM.

#999 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:39 AM

Isn’t the term “secretary” outdated, should be “parliamentary assistant”?

The word "secretary" has no formal gender bias attached to it.

There are lots of men and women who are "secretaries", up to and including positions like Secretary of Defense, and/or First Secretary (which could reference a Prime Minister), and/or Sectary of State.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#1000 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:32 PM

The word "secretary" has no formal gender bias attached to it.

There are lots of men and women who are "secretaries", up to and including positions like Secretary of Defense, and/or First Secretary (which could reference a Prime Minister), and/or Sectary of State.

“..The word “secretary” conjures up images of a bygone era, of pearls and sweater sets, sensible heels and knee-length skirts, and the right mixture of efficiency and self-effacement to fade into the background while acting as a powerful man’s right hand. Perhaps that – and the plethora of lawyers in the city limits – is why the phrase “Warren Buffett’s secretary” didn’t strike any odd notes in Washington even as most of the rest of the country would consider the word consigned to the same heap containing “stewardess,” “love child” and “going steady.”

In 2012, we don’t celebrate Secretaries’ Day; we celebrate Administrative Professionals Day..”: https://www.cnn.com/...fett/index.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users