Photo

42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1968 replies to this topic

#1021 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:24 PM

For context, Grace Lore's letter was in response to another letter written several days earlier wherein the writer said that they would not use somebody's preferred pronouns, but will instead "refer to someone who looks male as “he” and someone who looks female as “‘she.” If I’m not sure, I could always use the word “it.”" 

The position taken by the original letter is garbage and it was rightfully called out by Lore. 

NParker, your position that "respect is earned" is also garbage.  Treat everyone with respect.  Making people "earn your respect" before you treat them respectfully is incredibly entitled. 

Edited by m3m, 10 December 2021 - 01:25 PM.

• gstc84 and John M. like this

#1022 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 05:53 PM

B.C.’s premier has been largely out of sight for the past few weeks as he battles a throat cancer diagnosis but he made a brief appearance at the BC NDP’s virtual convention on Saturday (Dec. 12) to offer an update on his condition and the party’s plans.

“My prognosis is very, very good – 90 per cent recovery based on the treatment plan that we have in place,” Premier John Horgan said during his virtual address of the convention. He said he would begin radiation therapy over the next number of days.

“I’m very optimistic for the future.”

https://www.vicnews....very-very-good/

I wish him all the best.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2021 - 05:54 PM.

#1023 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 09:00 PM

While I wish John Horgan a full and speedy recovery, I am much less optimistic for the future of British Columbia as long as the NDP remain in power.

• A Girl is No one and davidN like this

#1024 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:45 AM

"They" is a perfectly adequate gender-neutral pronoun. "It" refers to an object, and is not acceptable to refer to a person. I've begun using "they" in my professional life until I can establish someone's gender, and it comes in handy all over the place (got an email from someone and not sure of their gender based on the name? "they" is a good place to start.)

• Matt R. and Awaiting Juno like this

#1025 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:28 AM

I like to use folks. Hope that’s OK with you folks

Folk: people in general.

Edited by todd, 13 December 2021 - 09:40 AM.

#1026 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:03 AM

I like to use folks. Hope that’s OK with you folks

Folk: people in general.

that's all well and good until someone tells you to;

Folk Off !

• North Shore likes this

#1027 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 04:23 PM

Think that’s similar to square dancing

#1028 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:11 PM

Effigies featuring the faces of Premier John Horgan and other provincial ministers were hung by the neck by demonstrators on the steps of the B.C. legislature on Thursday (Dec. 9).

The effigy hanging act occurred as hundreds gathered outside the government buildings during an anti-vaccine card event billed as the 75th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials. The faces of the premier, Health Minister Adrian Dix and Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth were among four effigies seen in videos posted to social media.

In a Monday statement to Black Press Media, B.C. Attorney General David Eby said the “implied or actual threats of violence are totally unacceptable.”

https://www.vicnews....s-unacceptable/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 December 2021 - 07:12 PM.

#1029 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:18 PM

"They" is a perfectly adequate gender-neutral pronoun. "It" refers to an object, and is not acceptable to refer to a person. I've begun using "they" in my professional life until I can establish someone's gender, and it comes in handy all over the place (got an email from someone and not sure of their gender based on the name? "they" is a good place to start.)

The only gender neutral pronoun I use is "dickhead" and sometimes "asshat"

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1030 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:46 PM

Effigies featuring the faces of Premier John Horgan and other provincial ministers were hung by the neck by demonstrators on the steps of the B.C. legislature on Thursday (Dec. 9).

The effigy hanging act occurred as hundreds gathered outside the government buildings during an anti-vaccine card event billed as the 75th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials. The faces of the premier, Health Minister Adrian Dix and Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth were among four effigies seen in videos posted to social media.

In a Monday statement to Black Press Media, B.C. Attorney General David Eby said the “implied or actual threats of violence are totally unacceptable.”

https://www.vicnews....s-unacceptable/

Have those dumbasses not heard of 'Godwin's Law'?

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Godwin's_law

• Matt R. likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1031 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:51 PM

Didn’t realize Common Ground was such a waste of space. Felt good throwing the pile at my work into the trash.

#1032 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:02 AM

Didn’t realize Common Ground was such a waste of space. Felt good throwing the pile at my work into the trash.

Rally spokesperson and Common Ground publisher Joseph Roberts said the people who were displaying the hanged effigies were not invited to the event.

"We tried to remove them, but they were not willing to move ... and we talked to security as well. Did security come and remove them? No, they didn't," he said. "It had nothing to do with the essence and what the organization had in this event."

https://www.msn.com/...pert/ar-AARIED3

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 December 2021 - 06:02 AM.

#1033 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:58 AM

This is a lefty trick: infiltrate protests they disagree with and do something unacceptably outrageous that will make the news and taint the message of the original group. They don’t play fair. And they get away with it most of the time.
  • Nparker and phx like this

#1034 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 09:24 AM

The only gender neutral pronoun I use is "dickhead" and sometimes "asshat"

asshat is very hurtful. To prove my point you are all asshats.

Have those dumbasses not heard of 'Godwin's Law'?
https://en.wikipedia...ki/Godwin's_law

https://youtu.be/vEteS7DQFUI

#1035 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:39 PM

Rally spokesperson and Common Ground publisher Joseph Roberts said the people who were displaying the hanged effigies were not invited to the event.

"We tried to remove them, but they were not willing to move ... and we talked to security as well. Did security come and remove them? No, they didn't," he said. "It had nothing to do with the essence and what the organization had in this event."

https://www.msn.com/...pert/ar-AARIED3

I chucked them out last week, before the rally, just based on the content of their latest issue.  Weren't even good for the fireplace, too much ink.  Disgusting.

#1036 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:59 AM

Kevin Falcon to be next leader of BC Liberal Party

https://www.cheknews...l-party-951136/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 February 2022 - 02:59 AM.

#1037 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 04:28 AM

And now a party name change.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1038 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:44 PM

I tried to find a specific thread on the speculation tax, but no luck*. Has anyone received their 2022 spec tax notice yet? This might the tax I despise the most.

*mods feel free to move this post to another thread

• sebberry likes this

#1039 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 01:56 PM

Andrew Wilkinson has resigned as MLA for Vancouver-Quilchena.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1040 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 02:27 PM

I tried to find a specific thread on the speculation tax, but no luck*. Has anyone received their 2022 spec tax notice yet? This might the tax I despise the most.

*mods feel free to move this post to another thread

Yes, I got mine two days ago.  I’ve already proved I’m not guilty and thus have escaped the penalty for another year.

• Nparker and rjag like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users