GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 04:03 PM

I wonder what they will come up with?

#1102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 04:06 PM

How about the "Social Justice Credit Party"? A bit of the old and new combined and no one will know what they stand for.

#1103 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 07:23 PM

Just about anything with BC in the name is off limits for a few years.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1104 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:51 AM

United Dorks of Columbia.

I don’t see how a name change would boost confidence.

#1105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:53 AM

...I don’t see how a name change would boost confidence.

I don't know, the current regime has set the confidence bar pretty low.

#1106 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:59 AM

What is BC bunch of fools who won’t see them hiding under their cloak.

I guess they have a point.

#1107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 10:06 AM

The party is not a liberal party in the same sense the federal Liberals are liberal. And the Ontario Liberals certainly haven’t done the brand any favours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1108 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 05:42 PM

Once a liberal always a liberal

#1109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 07:50 AM

It's really starting to feel like the NDP is losing control. The party agenda feels hopelessly adrift, now faced with the prospects of a recession, with out of touch policies that over four years have felt like all but bold promises that ended up delivering nothing of consequence and failed to enact the changes the party said it would. Why are we still taxing vacation properties in Victoria? The tax regime made no difference, at all. Where's the promised childcare? Where's the promised dealing with the addicted? Why are our cities faced with rising criminality?

Today's highway blockage and the NDPs inability to deal with this small group of protestors is an example of how mismanaged the provincial affairs appear to be. These protests need to stop, and I think voters have recognized that this party is either unable, or unwilling, to stop them.

• Awaiting Juno and JimV like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 08:04 AM

Anyone who believed the NDP would make a positive difference in the province was bound to be disappointed.

• Matt R. likes this

#1111 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2022 - 02:48 PM

Today's highway blockage and the NDPs inability to deal with this small group of protestors is an example of how mismanaged the provincial affairs appear to be. These protests need to stop, and I think voters have recognized that this party is either unable, or unwilling, to stop them.

Stopping the protesters plays right into their agenda.  They want to be stopped.  They want to be able to shoot video of police forcibly hauling them away and maybe even getting overenthusiastic in their use of force, in order to drum up sympathy  not just for their cause (which is worthy) but their methods (which aren't).

And whether or not the government realizes this, the police do; which is doubtless why they take as soft-pedal approach as they can.

#1112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 02:51 PM

I suspect they lose at least as much public sympathy with each of these protests as they gain, so their efforts are wasted.

#1113 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 04:22 PM

there was just a story in the Times Colonist about tree planters needed.  https://www.timescol...b-trees-5428729

if they want to make a difference, they should be up there planting trees.   but these people don't work.  they are trust fund babies or on social assistance.

• Nparker likes this

#1114 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,041 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 04:45 PM

That’s a great article. 79 paragraphs long. It talks about the difficulty finding planters. Not once does it give even any indication of wages offered. Which I presume most readers would be waiting for.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2022 - 04:48 PM.

#1115 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 05:24 PM

Stopping the protesters plays right into their agenda.  They want to be stopped.  They want to be able to shoot video of police forcibly hauling them away and maybe even getting overenthusiastic in their use of force, in order to drum up sympathy  not just for their cause (which is worthy) but their methods (which aren't).

So what?  The alternative is to let them mess up our roads forever.  Most of the public would not be adverse to the application of some baton to soft tissue.  And serious consequences would discourage recruitment.  The guy with the broken pelvis, and his colleagues, will probably be rethinking their devotion to the cause.

#1116 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:15 PM

That’s a great article. 79 paragraphs long. It talks about the difficulty finding planters. Not once does it give even any indication of wages offered. Which I presume most readers would be waiting for.

Used to be piece work, X$ per tree planted, I like that because it rewards the hard worker.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1117 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 11:31 PM

I’ve heard many say it’s like picking up dimes all day. Hard word, but it can add up. I’ve also heard people fail in their first season and end up owing the house money for room and board at camp. Yikes.

#1118 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,041 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:14 PM

B.C. Premier John Horgan expected to announce he's stepping down

He is set to make an announcement at 1:30 p.m. following an NDP cabinet retreat. Indications are that Horgan is preparing for his departure, which would make way for a leadership race ahead of the next provincial election, set for 2024. Horgan is currently the head of the Council of the Federation and is hosting Canada's premiers in Victoria in July.

The news comes more than seven months after Horgan announced he had been diagnosed with cancer following the discovery of a lump in his neck. More recently, Horgan came under fire for controversial plans to upgrade the Royal BC Museum in Victoria. Last week, he apologized for the decision, announcing it was being scrapped.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2022 - 12:14 PM.

#1119 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:15 PM

Here’s the link to live presser https://m.youtube.co...h?v=2L1BCPYkiME

Starts at 1:30

Edited by max.bravo, 28 June 2022 - 12:15 PM.

#1120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:46 PM

Announcement:

Premier John Horgan has issued the following statement:

“Over the last couple of days, our cabinet has met to seek solutions to the challenges people face in British Columbia.

“These include the high cost of living and the stresses on primary care. Working to make life better for people is why we are here and that continues to be my focus.

“As we reach the mid-point of our second term, it is clear the tasks ahead of us are enormous and will require a leader focused on the next two years and beyond. A second bout with cancer and dozens of radiation treatments has led me to take stock.

"I am proud to say I'm cancer free. While I have a lot of energy, I must acknowledge this may not be the case two years from now.

“Therefore, I have decided not to run again in the next election.

“Once again, I want to thank the health-care professionals who helped me through this journey. They do incredible work under difficult circumstances.

“I also want to thank the many British Columbians – from every walk of life and from all political persuasions – who offered their best wishes.

“I will stay on as Premier until my successor is chosen. I will continue to do my level best to make politics work for people. This includes pushing the federal government to fund their fair share of health-care costs so we can make our public health-care system work better for everyone.

“I am looking forward to reconnecting with my neighbours as the MLA for Langford-Juan de Fuca.

“Being Premier is not a job I ever expected to have, yet it’s been the honour of my life.

“In the last five years, we’ve accomplished a lot by working together and caring for each other. The work continues.”

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users