42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1991 replies to this topic

#1121 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:43 PM

What an utter disappointment he turned out to be ... and I voted for him the first time around.

• Zero advancement made on improving family doctor access for those British Columbians desperately in need of one.
  • His Foreign Buyers Tax / Speculation and Vacancy Tax has done nothing to improve access for British Columbians towards owning their own home in B.C.
  • The Provincial Museum debacle is 100% his to bear, a foolish mistake that would be expected only of amateur politicians.
  • He called an election during the second wave of the worst pandemic of our time, when hundreds of thousands were wary of getting sick ... only to use getting "sick" as his excuse to bail.
  • He has effectively done nothing of note to better the lives of British Columbians, and indeed may have presided over a period of time when those lives were getting progressively worse.

Not the worst Premier in my lifetime, but definitely in the top 3.

#1122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:49 PM

Any negatives though?   :banana:

#1123 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:54 PM

What an utter disappointment he turned out to be ... and I voted for him the first time around.

• Zero advancement made on improving family doctor access for those British Columbians desperately in need of one.
  • His Foreign Buyers Tax / Speculation and Vacancy Tax has done nothing to improve access for British Columbians towards owning their own home in B.C.
  • The Provincial Museum debacle is 100% his to bear, a foolish mistake that would be expected only of amateur politicians.
  • He called an election during the second wave of the worst pandemic of our time, when hundreds of thousands were wary of getting sick ... only to use getting "sick" as his excuse to bail.
  • He has effectively done nothing of note to better the lives of British Columbians, and indeed may have presided over a period of time when those lives were getting progressively worse.

Remarkably his covid response was the best in the world, given all those other failures.

Isn’t it Interesting how someone can be so awful at nearly everything else but remarkably perfect in the area that your emotional beliefs align with.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:55 PM

What an utter disappointment he turned out to be ... and I voted for him the first time around...Not the worst Premier in my lifetime, but definitely in the top 3.

He was fortunate to have been preceded by perhaps one of the top 2 worst premiers.

I am not disappointed in the NDP. I already knew they would be useless as a government. They do however make a decent opposition.

#1125 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:56 PM

Any guesses on who succeeds him? My money is on Farnworth.

#1126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:58 PM

Remarkably his covid response was the best in the world, given all those other failures.

Source/data?

For starters, I can name several other Canadian provinces with less cases and deaths per capita.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2022 - 01:59 PM.

#1127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:06 PM

I think max.bravo was being sarcastic.

• max.bravo likes this

#1128 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:11 PM

Yes, I was referencing the fact that BChas kept the most restrictive/punitive vaccination mandates in the world and Spy Black seems largely supportive of that.

I think our response was some of the worlds worst, obviously. But most people who get the info from Bonnie Adrian and Johnny believe those clowns when they say BC is #1
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1129 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:13 PM

I think max.bravo was being sarcastic.

Oh ya, lol.

#1130 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:20 PM

It's been incredible to see the NDP go from doing well, to circling the toilet, but I would blame members of the party and that Horgan was too exhausted to keep the radicals in check.

•  BC isn't given enough funding for health care from the federal transfers.  People work and pay taxes in other provinces for 40 years, then retire to BC at a time in life they are going to need extensive amounts of heath care.  BC pays for that burden.
  • Agreed that the FBT is a waste of time, but this issue is larger than what a province can manage.  35 years of not building rental apartments created this mess.  Other countries are a mess for the same reasons.
  • After a year of trying to fix "systemic racism" at the museum, the whole thing imploded by Melanie Mark, Alicia Dubois, and Daniel Muzyka's act of "decolonization" in November.  Horgan was trying to fix a nightmare, but only made the issue worse.  How can we have any museum showing anything if the exhibit of old town is offensive?  
  • The election call was bone headed
  • Well, had the Liberals stayed in power, we would not have had any investment in infrastructure on the lower end of the Island.  All of our tax base would have been funneled over to the mainland.

#1131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:39 PM

I have to wonder if the uberwoke will attempt a complete takeover of the NDP once Horgan is gone. Call me a cynic, but I think they have barely even begun their reign of terror.

• max.bravo likes this

#1132 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:39 PM

Announcement:

Premier John Horgan has issued the following statement:

No surprise, it has been widely reported over the past few days that NDP insiders were trying to oust him and were lining up to take his spot. The RBCM project was to be his legacy, when that didn't work out time was up.

I think Grace Lore should become Premier, that way she might actually do some work!

Edited by spanky123, 28 June 2022 - 03:39 PM.

#1133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:44 PM

...I think Grace Lore should become Premier, that way she might actually do some work!

Be careful what you wish for.

#1134 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:45 PM

No surprise, it has been widely reported over the past few days that NDP insiders were trying to oust him and were lining up to take his spot. The RBCM project was to be his legacy, when that didn't work out time was up.

I think Grace Lore should become Premier, that way she might actually do some work!

I would be shocked if he didn't step down on his own terms.

He still has one of the highest approval ratings amongst Canadian premiers, and that was before he cancelled the museum project. Only Houston & Moe had higher approval ratings.

#1135 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:56 PM

^ He hasn't been looking or sounding well. Once there is blood in the water than you become prey and that is exactly what happened. He was free to leave on whatever terms he wanted as long as those terms had him leaving ASAP.

#1136 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:58 PM

Apart from them wrecking the museum, I’m ok with his legacy. And I’m a right guy.
  • FogPub likes this

#1137 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 04:09 PM

Apart from them wrecking the museum, I’m ok with his legacy...

After 5 years of (mis)managing the health portfolio, I don't think John Horgan's NDP have much to brag about. Ensuring Ministry of Health staff identify themselves with the appropriate pronouns in their email signature blocks is hardly something to applaud.

#1138 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:54 PM

Any guesses on who succeeds him? My money is on Farnworth.

Too old and grumpy.

I think right now Ebey is the front runner.  His nothing burger performance on repeat offenders and his overruling municipal councils to build homeless shelters would not play that well with the public.  Plus he may be a bit too white collar for some of the NDP’s traditional supporters. But he is the darling of the party’s left wing.  How many times have we heard Lisa sing his praises.  

• Nparker likes this

#1139 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:56 PM

Too old and grumpy.

I think right now Ebey is the front runner.  His nothing burger performance on repeat offenders and his overruling municipal councils to build homeless shelters would not play that well with the public.  Plus he may be a bit too white collar for some of the NDP’s traditional supporters. But he is the darling of the party’s left wing.  How many times have we heard Lisa sing his praises.  

Then perhaps Lisa would get her chance to move up to Provincial politics. At least Horgan was smart enough to keep her out of the NDP.

#1140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:58 PM

His successor will be Kevin Falcon.
  • max.bravo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users