42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
1968 replies to this topic

#1241 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:49 AM

It’s always the end consumer, isn’t it?

Or the taxpayer subsidizing someone else.

#1242 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:21 PM

No discounts on alcohol, tobacco, or bus passes. Sorry.

Thanks truckers!

I will settle for a ride to the ferries an extra large portion of salad but I want an umbrella in my drink.

#1243 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:23 PM

Umbrellas are bad for turtles. Thanks Dr. Henry!
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1244 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:50 PM

They used the ruse of $10 daycare for 2 election campaigns and I have yet to have someone tell me that they are the recipient of this lie.
  • Nparker, Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

#1245 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 05:05 PM

It’s always the end consumer, isn’t it?

https://youtu.be/kTONBDfkLus

#1246 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:16 PM

They used the ruse of $10 daycare for 2 election campaigns and I have yet to have someone tell me that they are the recipient of this lie.

All those kids have graduated from high school now, no need for day care.

• JimV likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1247 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:04 AM

School is the daycare!
  • Wayne likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1248 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:22 AM

You don't hang out in the right circles. If you were an NDP campaigner or donor then you would likely be set!

#1249 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 09:20 AM

Van Kam dropped our skids of liquor today! Thanks truckers, literally!
  • Nparker and todd like this

#1250 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 09:41 AM

Big load?
  • Matt R. likes this

#1251 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 11:44 AM

Van Kam dropped our skids of liquor today!

Did any break?
  • Matt R. likes this

#1252 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 11:56 AM

Did any break?

Fortunately they only skidded.

• Matt R. and todd like this

#1253 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:36 PM

I went down and did a mini stock up at the LCB today, didn't see any sign of panic buying, other than me of course.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1254 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 10:42 PM

And now the retail fronts are limiting what hospitality customers can buy. 🙄

Edited by Matt R., 16 August 2022 - 10:43 PM.

#1255 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 05:48 AM

So anybody know what the BCGEU are demanding?

#1256 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 05:50 AM

Your bargaining committee’s goal has always been to get a deal which provides appropriate cost of living protection for your wages. That is still our goal, and we are ready to return to the table when your employer demonstrates that they are able to meet your demands.

https://www.bcgeu.ca...s_monday_aug_15

Last week, the BCGEU's public service bargaining committee developed a creative proposal that included cost of living adjustments (COLA) and wage protection from inflation, while working within the fiscal framework of the government's most recent wage proposal. Instead of matching union moves to reach a deal, the government came back to the table this morning with an unacceptable "take it or leave it" approach and refused to counter the union's offer.

https://www.bcgeu.ca...eak_down_july_4

"What really brought us to impasse was a wage offer that wasn't even in the ballpark of addressing our members concerns," Smith told CBC News.

She said the province offered the union a 1.75 per cent wage increase for the first year, plus a flat rate increase of $0.25 an hour and then a two per cent wage increase for the following two years.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6499549

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 05:53 AM.

#1257 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 06:47 AM

Anyone get the feeling that we’re starting to lose the cream of the crop of the labour market?

I’ve heard from several businesses now, that the people moving to BC as transient labour aren’t prepared for the cost of living, leading to frustration, which is then borne out by skipping out on jobs as soon as another opportunity presents itself, or managing several jobs where all take a hit from overlapping shifts and consistency as a person gets worn out. Eventually they leave. But there’s two more coming in to replace them, and the cycle repeats.

One half of a couple that’s newly arrived is usually working construction or some trade, earning a decent wage, the other half finds retail or shift work. But the CoL makes it difficult to make ends meet.

Just -why- is BC so expensive? What is it that has made one province stand out among the rest? Most expensive gas. Real-estate. Rents. Food. On and on it goes. What are we doing wrong?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1258 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:05 AM

We are one of the most desirable places to live on the planet.

The air is fresh, the climate is mild and the scenery is beautiful.

We have more people migrating here than we can accommodate with our current infrastructure.

More demand than supply.

#1259 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:41 AM

Just a theory but, a large portion of those moving here are probably doing so to retire.  This puts extra demand on the labour side to supply everything they want/need, without adding any resources to the labour force.  That plus all the local baby boomers starting to retire may be altering the ratio of worker to total population.   

#1260 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:48 AM

We are one of the most desirable places to live on the planet.

The air is fresh, the climate is mild and the scenery is beautiful.

We have more people migrating here than we can accommodate with our current infrastructure.

More demand than supply.

I’m starting to think it’s not quite as simple as that.

Look at Toronto. According to its growth, it’s far more desirable than all of BC and Alberta, combined, and it’s just one city.

What is it about BC, that makes it so expensive? It’s not -just- the demand, we know there is far more demand for other places in Canada, which can manage to attract and retain a whole spectrum of people (young, old, worker, retiree).

Are wages better in Ontario? Is there less tax there? Is housing more attainable and in some areas with strong economic activity, actually affordable? Are social services expenses placing a too large of a burden on BC?

In other words, what makes BC so expensive, but Washington and Oregon so much less expensive? Same climates. Same major industries.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users