• 40,736 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 03:28 PM

General Strike 2022?

#1282 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:04 PM

Much like the “labour shortage”, businesses that rely on these services will simply figure out how to do the job with less. This means using direct shippers and manufacturers to deliver liquor, and bypass the ldb and union entirely.

It’s going to be a boon to local producers. People are already compiling master lists of suppliers that are outside the system and more insulated from these labour disruptions. Once new habits are formed, they can be hard to change back.

I am glad that Molson and Labatt distribute outside the system, and other large national players like Sleeman as well.
  • Nparker likes this

#1283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:13 PM

The big guys learned long ago to avoid issues you have to self-distribute.

What about local guys? You see kegs delivered by the breweries but what about off sales?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1284 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:18 PM

Off sales?

All the local breweries delivery their entire product line directly. Other smaller ones might use an agent to sell and ship. Many, if not most of the local distillers also sell this way.

I’ve been chatting with our wine buyer tonight, she has already ordered BC wines directly to fill some holes.
  • Nparker and todd like this

#1285 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:19 PM

Can you buy direct from local or semi-local spirits distillers? I suppose in a pinch even a well-stocked bar can get by on the basics - rum, vodka, and one other. Rye? Gin?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 09:24 PM.

#1286 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:26 PM

Yup. In fact I think Merridale makes all three of these, and pretty good too!

I was mad and frustrated at first, but long ago learned to let go of things I can’t really control so now we just move back into problem solving mode.

It’s just liquor. People will still get their wine, beer, cider and spirits but will have to choose a different brand on some things. One thing that will be harder to source, are the ready to drink products that have become incredibly popular. Nude, hey y’all, these sorts of things. Blue Buck and Lucky and PBR will still be available.

#1287 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:30 PM

Yes. Very interesting. People WILL switch brands if forced to I suppose. They might just be grumpy about it. Hopefully that wears off after their second drink. They might even discover something new.

Interesting those premixed drinks are popular. I guess people do experiment with them until they find what they like. After all, we’ve all tried Mikes Hard at some point I think. For better or for worse.

#1288 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 August 2022 - 07:13 AM

I think here especially people are less brand loyal and willing to try new drinks. Personally and in my circle we are always drinking different beers, wines and spirits.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1289 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 08:27 AM

^ Agreed. If I go to a bar and they don't have my fav beer on tap I try a new beer, I don't find a new bar!

#1290 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 August 2022 - 08:30 AM

Americans especially who refuse to deviate from their tapwater of choice (Bud, Coors etc.) are a wierd breed imo.

#1291 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 09:35 AM

Yes. Very interesting. People WILL switch brands if forced to I suppose. They might just be grumpy about it. Hopefully that wears off after their second drink. They might even discover something new.

Interesting those premixed drinks are popular. I guess people do experiment with them until they find what they like. After all, we’ve all tried Mikes Hard at some point I think. For better or for worse.

For some it’s more what doesn’t give a hangover generally mike’s hard lemonade doesn’t, heineken never gives a hangover

Can always take the coho across for a day trip and bring some back, for cannabis would need to go as far as Alberta

#1292 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 09:52 AM

Or the local reserve no need to go to Alberta. The reserve where the gas station is at 12615 Trans Canada highway has a little shop with their own product. Just follow the sign and don't be afraid, no one will take your scalp.... just your money. Interesting story from the old man who owns it. Oil got him off the hard stuff.... 

#1293 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 09:54 AM

^^ Can you legally bring pot across the border?
  • Matt R. likes this

#1294 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:14 AM

Or the local reserve no need to go to Alberta. The reserve where the gas station is at 12615 Trans Canada highway has a little shop with their own product. Just follow the sign and don't be afraid, no one will take your scalp.... just your money. Interesting story from the old man who owns it. Oil got him off the hard stuff....

if it goes dry everywhere else I don’t think they’ll stay wet for long

BCGEU was established 1919, prohibition era.

#1295 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 10:18 AM

^^ Can you legally bring pot across the border?

No, the canadian border guards are real sticklers about it.

#1296 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 11:03 AM

Not that border.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1297 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 11:12 AM

if it goes dry everywhere else I don’t think they’ll stay wet for long

BCGEU was established 1919, prohibition era.

If it goes dry long enough maybe more bands will start making alcohol. The Indian Act was pretty harsh towards them in this regard. The law made it so no one could sell it to them in a legal fashion. Although "It was a common ploy to supply a great quantity of alcohol to the Indian traders prior to the negotiation process".It would be a good form a reconciliation. To start making it and selling it to us while the government monopoly is being disrupted. I think it's easier to source everything now than earlier in the century. It is just easier to grow and process weed. 

#1298 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 11:25 AM

I figure if worse comes to worse you just drain the juice out of the bottom of the kitchen compost bin.
  • dasmo likes this

#1299 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 11:44 AM

I figure if worse comes to worse you just drain the juice out of the bottom of the kitchen compost bin.

You kid but I spent months in Kuwait which is dry and where buying booze meant serious consequences. Some of the crew made jail hooch from yeast sugar and fruit juice.  

#1300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 12:00 PM

... I think it's easier to source everything now than earlier in the century...

Was 2001-2005 a difficult time for independent alcohol producers?

(sorry, I couldn't resist the "century" remark ;) )

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users