City of Langford politics

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 06:04 AM

Once you have your home, do you care about what Langford does or doesn’t do on the housing front?

That’s a difficult political message to overcome. The community consultation is just another phrase for rejecting or down-sizing development to suite the desires of people who bought in knowing the OCP in their neighbourhood, but not caring right away because the impact wasn’t there right away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:21 AM

^ You care about your taxes, holes in the road, your garbage being picked up and the streets being safe. Langford does a good job at all of them with the possible exception of taxes now that infrastructure debt is starting to catch up.

Having said that, much of what Langford Now is asking for isn't unreasonable and in fact a requirement under the municipal act and/or changes in play. IIRC, it took the Grumpy Taxpayers to get them to even record council meetings and provide financial disclosures which should have not been an issue. 

I think that Stu is probably 50/50 at this point. He has sold most of his businesses and from what I understand spends lots of his time elsewhere anyways. I think that if it looks like he will have 2-3 dissidents on council then he won't bother. 

Like TV, 100% of Langford Now supporters will show up to vote. They don't need 50% of the population to support them to get their members elected. 

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:29 AM

I don’t think he’s throwing in the towel. I think he’s more determined than ever, based on what I’ve heard. There’s no way he’ll be walking away now without putting up a fight and exposing the hypocrisy that’s taking shape.

How does Langford Now think its membership and supporters got to Langford in the first place? It’s because of the housing policies of that muni. I get change can be difficult but if the “alternative” is anti-housing this entire region is going to get crushed without Langford doing the heavy lifting on the housing file.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:31 AM

How anyone could possibly vote for another slate like TV after witnessing the damage they have done to the CoV over the past 4 years is beyond my comprehension.

#85 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:38 AM

I don’t think he’s throwing in the towel. I think he’s more determined than ever, based on what I’ve heard. There’s no way he’ll be walking away now without putting up a fight and exposing the hypocrisy that’s taking shape.

How does Langford Now think its membership and supporters got to Langford in the first place? It’s because of the housing policies of that muni. I get change can be difficult but if the “alternative” is anti-housing this entire region is going to get crushed without Langford doing the heavy lifting on the housing file.

I think Stu is too smart to be wasting his time trying to prove others wrong. I think it will boil down to whether the job is a few hours a week or a few hours a day and whether that time is spent arguing or progressing.

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:47 AM

He won’t know until the votes are in, I suppose.

But the question is, will voters drastically change their voting preferences compared to 2018? Victoria dabbled with several elections-worth of hard left candidates before voters elected the TV slate, Isitt and Loveday which formed a majority on council.

It took 15 years to get there. Langford Voters for Change has become a platform for -no!- and you’ve got people who may legitimately support some change also asking how you can build more housing without displacing existing residents, and changing the make-up of existing neighbourhoods (aka as building on raw land has its negatives but so do the alternatives). It’s all fun and games until you realize the policies of the other guys make no sense.

Know it all.

#87 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,319 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:47 AM

Stew.

#88 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:51 AM

He won’t know until the votes are in, I suppose.

I would guess that there is probably lots of polling being done now to guage opinion.

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:55 AM

Nah. These guys shoot from the hip, they’re not interested in spending many thousands of dollars on polling.

It’s pretty simple politics out there. Either you like the direction Langford has taken (new facilities, new parks, housing for families, a pro-police mayor, more offices, more jobs) or you’re comfortable with where you’re at now that you’ve got your house, and want everything around you frozen in time, so let’s elect NIMBYs.

Know it all.

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:59 AM

Among families on the West Shore, a key theme emerging is a desire for more jobs on the West Shore. The CRD has called for lots of housing on the West Shore, but lots of jobs in the core and the imbalance is now becoming an obstacle to employee retention.

This election is fundamentally about jobs. It won’t get pitched that way, but Langford’s 2022-2026 phase will be about job creation.

Know it all.

#91 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:04 AM

Common issues cropping up are the preservation of green space, traffic, a perceived lack of community engagement and the overarching concern about the pace of development in Langford.

“We’re not against development. We are for measured and balanced development. We have development now that’s outpaced our infrastructure, that’s not workable. We see that with traffic jams, we see that with missing amenities, with missing green space. So it’s a matter of balance and looking at what’s actually good for the community, not just the developers,” said Corrina Craig, the authorized principal official for Langford Now.

https://www.saanichn...citys-politics/

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:08 AM

Hasn’t Langford added more public parks over the last two decades than all of the other municipalities combined?

Know it all.

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:14 AM

Hasn’t Langford added more public parks over the last two decades than all of the other municipalities combined?

Mike, they are not against development.  Just overdevelopment.  

Is Langford now the most densely populated municipality?  (885/km2 says wikipedia from 2016).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2022 - 07:15 AM.

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:16 AM

It’s at 25% of the City of Victoria’s density, roughly.

Know it all.

#95 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 09:32 AM

Mike, they are not against development.  Just overdevelopment.  

Is Langford now the most densely populated municipality?  (885/km2 says wikipedia from 2016).

Not sure Langford would ever match Victoria's density...  That would be crazy for that land mass and roadways.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 09:50 AM

So why are they complaining about over-development?

Know it all.

#97 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 09:52 AM

Population density per square kilometre

Victoria (city): 4,722.3
Esquimalt: 2,476.7
Sidney (town): 2,412.8
Oak Bay: 1,710.1
Saanich: 1,136.6
Langford: 1,124.4
Colwood: 1,073.6
View Royal (town): 807.6
Central Saanich: 421.9
North Saanich: 329.2
Sooke: 266.6

Greater Victoria (CMA): 571.3

Edited by aastra, 21 April 2022 - 09:55 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#98 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 09:57 AM

Langford just needs an elevated freeway from Jacklin and #14 to say Wale Road and that will relieve some internal traffic.
  • Matt R. likes this

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 10:05 AM

What “traffic?”

By Victoria standards Langford is a cake walk. The traffic data below isn’t lying. So why are we hearing so much about Langford traffic?

These are screenshots taken at the same time, 11AM.

07F97C39-EF69-4A90-8830-A199EEA372EE.jpeg

BC99ED31-6802-47C4-B0F3-607274248F24.jpeg

Know it all.

#100 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 April 2022 - 10:16 AM

ew. make it a tunnel. get Musk over here

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users