City of Langford politics

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#101 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 April 2022 - 10:17 AM

Mike, if you think there are no traffic problems in that area, you're using massive langford rose colour glasses again.

• Ismo07 likes this

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 10:20 AM

But I’m showing you the real-time traffic.

Could it be that people simply expect there to be no traffic in Langford, so whatever traffic they encounter is “bad?” Because it’s infinitely better than traffic in Victoria, is it not?

Or are we now saying traffic data is lying?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 10:21 AM

Just avoid the heavy traffic times. Easy.

#104 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 11:03 AM

So why are they complaining about over-development?

People complain about things, usually after they are there for 20 minutes...  Songhees residents moved in and complained about Harbour Air...  If there are houses with people in them, someone will complain.  People commute from the Malahat and Sooke and complain when there is a road shut down...  Complaints are ongoing...

#105 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 11:04 AM

What “traffic?”

By Victoria standards Langford is a cake walk. The traffic data below isn’t lying. So why are we hearing so much about Langford traffic?

These are screenshots taken at the same time, 11AM.

Which apple are you comparing to which orange?

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 11:45 AM

People complain about things, usually after they are there for 20 minutes... Songhees residents moved in and complained about Harbour Air... If there are houses with people in them, someone will complain. People commute from the Malahat and Sooke and complain when there is a road shut down... Complaints are ongoing...

People complain when roads get shut down? You mean, they should be happy when their only road home gets blocked?

That must be a new excerpt from the up is down handbook. Be glad when essential services are unavailable to you! Soon you’ll own nothing, and be happy!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 11:48 AM

Which apple are you comparing to which orange?

I’m saying, you have a traffic mess in your own backyard.

Know it all.

#108 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 11:59 AM

I’m saying, you have a traffic mess in your own backyard.

If you are talking about congestion in downtown Victoria then sure, you may wait a light till you move, far from a mess.

People complain when roads get shut down? You mean, they should be happy when their only road home gets blocked?

That must be a new excerpt from the up is down handbook. Be glad when essential services are unavailable to you! Soon you’ll own nothing, and be happy!

Well it comes with the territory, it's not that they should be happy about a road closure but don't move to a place where you rely on one road and expect it to never have an accident or incident.  They paid a lower price to live there but now want millions spent on alternative routes?   It's similar to moving to a place that is growing and complaining about more development.  It happens.. You think those people who don't want as much development should be happy?  People complain is all I'm saying.  Your up is down handbook seems to be that your complaint is valid but others aren't..  Sorry you are not levitating above the rest..  

Has Lanford increased essential services recently to compensate for the increased development?  Why would essential services be unavailable to me?

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 12:07 PM

I see. So the less wealthier people shouldn’t have redundant infrastructure to get them home from work, is that what you’re saying? Redundant infrastructure should only exist where wealthier people live?

I reckon you’d be upset if the water in your building was shut off because of an incident in another unit. I’d cheer you up by reminding you that you paid a lower price to live in a condo.

Know it all.

#110 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 12:51 PM

I see. So the less wealthier people shouldn’t have redundant infrastructure to get them home from work, is that what you’re saying? Redundant infrastructure should only exist where wealthier people live?

I reckon you’d be upset if the water in your building was shut off because of an incident in another unit. I’d cheer you up by reminding you that you paid a lower price to live in a condo.

Not what I said but I can see what you are doing...  I think the water gets shut off.. I do not go to the media or social media and complain about it no.  It's mostly because I am an adult and complaining does very little.  Sometimes one elevator is not working, again I understand that life has some issues..  I've been stuck in the Malahat line and still nothing to complain about...  I will say this however, I don't put people down when they complain about something that is important to them (more development) and then turn around and complain about something else (closed road).  Live in Langford expect increased development and all that comes with that, live in Sooke, expect some road issues, live in Victoria expect some odd political discussions...  What's there to complaint about when the sun comes up the next day.

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 12:59 PM

You know, for a guy who doesn't complain ever, you sure do complain a lot.

Know it all.

#112 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 01:40 PM

You know, for a guy who doesn't complain ever, you sure do complain a lot.

More of a discussion... I like driving out to Sooke...

• Mike K. likes this

#113 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:47 PM

Well it comes with the territory, it's not that they should be happy about a road closure but don't move to a place where you rely on one road and expect it to never have an accident or incident.  They paid a lower price to live there but now want millions spent on alternative routes?  

Well yes.  It's been over 30 years that the Westshore has been deemed the growth area within the CRDs "Official Community Plans".  With increased growth, we have a need for infrastructure to support it, which includes transportation.

Has Lanford increased essential services recently to compensate for the increased development?  Why would essential services be unavailable to me? 

Yes, they have hired additional RCMP resources, created additional recreation facilities and are working with the province to create additional schools to name a few.  

Would you expect Langford families to approve/reject the replacement for Crystal Pool or a new downtown bike lane?  If the answer is no, then why would we expect people from other jurisdictions to complain and try to block services being built for them?  If you live downtown, then quite frankly it's none of your business if the Malahat gets a second route.

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#114 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:21 PM

I like the way they do it in the Phoenix area, they build the infrastructure for what will eventually be there not for what is there now.

We have a 6 lane divided roadway near us that sees maybe 100 cars an hour.

In ten years it will be thousands of cars an hour.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:31 PM

It’s how the rest of the world works. Only here do we chase growth decades in arrears, and think that’s progress.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#116 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 05:26 AM

After 20 years at the ­council table in Langford, ­Lillian Szpak has announced she isn’t ­running in this fall’s civic ­election.

“This has been the most rewarding and challenging work I have ever done,” Szpak said.

“It’s been a tremendous ­honour to have served ­Langford all these years. However, I believe it’s important to make room for fresh faces around the council table.”

https://www.timescol...n-szpak-5289407

#117 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 06:54 AM

Langford residents look to have arbutus spared from axe

Petition to save the Dunford/Jacklin tree has garnered over 1,500 signatures

https://www.vicnews....pared-from-axe/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 April 2022 - 06:54 AM.

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 07:13 AM

Szpak’s daughter organized the petition.

From the outside looking in things were getting a little weird. The Langford Voters for Change group being organized by the daughter of a politician but not registered as a political group would have been problematic. And Langford’s rumour mill is going nuts right now.

Know it all.

#119 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 07:25 AM

Would you expect Langford families to approve/reject the replacement for Crystal Pool or a new downtown bike lane?  If the answer is no, then why would we expect people from other jurisdictions to complain and try to block services being built for them?  If you live downtown, then quite frankly it's none of your business if the Malahat gets a second route.

Please explain this?  I'm not complaining about any of this?  We were talking about complaining and that people in Langford are not impressed with all the added development.  I suggested that people complain about all sorts of things.

#120 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 07:27 AM

It’s how the rest of the world works. Only here do we chase growth decades in arrears, and think that’s progress.

Isn't it the infrastructure being chased?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users