City of Langford politics

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:18 PM

I think Langford is just barely getting going in the area that's currently exploding just east of Mt. Wells, and on over towards Latoria.
I may be wrong, but it certainly seems that it's currently the largest general construction area in the entire region ... and they haven't even really got started yet.

It's Metchosin that bridges the Langford border to the Sooke border, and I don't expect we'll see anything radical happen in Metchosin ... but driving out Saseenos way on the weekend, there seems to be a substantial amount of new construction ... and certainly the ongoing 85 million dollar upgrade to Highway 14 will invite a lot more development out that way ... all to say that, with the exception of Metchosin, I can see major development in the next two decades that somewhat seamlessly joins Langford up with Saseenos with assorted residential and business developments.

Indeed. The lands north, east and south of Mt Wells haven’t even begun to be tapped yet. We’re talking roughly the area of Esquimalt remains ultra-low density, or totally undeveloped.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:33 PM

I've only driven it once, not long after it opened in fact, but what about the West Shore Parkway? I seem to recall thinking at the time it had opened up a lot of possibilities for development out that way.....

It's happening. Lots of light industrial on the edges and housing in the middle.

• Danma likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#43 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:35 PM

Victoria is 19 sq km vs Langford's 40.  Not sure we have seen the last of development from Langford.

#44 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:45 PM

Indeed. The lands north, east and south of Mt Wells haven’t even begun to be tapped yet. We’re talking roughly the area of Esquimalt remains ultra-low density, or totally undeveloped.

Well a lot of that land you described is regional parks. Would be fairly hard to go in and develop that area, no?

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:58 PM

I don’t think so, other than Mt. Wells.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:05 PM

Here’s a map of that area, circled in blue is non park land. Guessing the area to the east would get developed first, but looks like a lot of it already has. And already has some SFH that look to be on pretty big lots. The parcel to the SW, maybe later on?

https://imgur.com/gallery/yRvhehH

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:09 PM

We can add all of the land south of the highway as blue, too.

Know it all.

#48 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, pretty much no parkland there. As someone who frequents the parks to the north of the highway in that area, I’d much rather them develop south of the highway hah.

#49 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, pretty much no parkland there. As someone who frequents the parks to the north of the highway in that area, I’d much rather them develop south of the highway hah.

I stand corrected – I had assumed a lot of that area was parkland but apparently not.

In that picture, the top half of that right blue section is being quickly developed, and even compared to this map is becoming thoroughly populated. The new elementary and middle school are going in right there.

The left blue section... the Langford city limits extend that far?! Jeez.

#50 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:53 AM

There is also the waterfront along the Malihat north of the Goldstream park boundary that is part of Langford.  There has been some rumblings about that area this past year.

#51 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:24 AM

Is there a generic Langford thread I missed or just transparency issues?

Anyways, looks like Langford is getting more awards....

Maclean's ranked Langford the top community in B.C. for livability and the 18th most attractive community in Canada.

Victoria ranked 59th.  

Langford sure is polarizing.  It's either the best thing ever or....well...horrible.  Together Victoria and the Capital Daily need to fix it.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:27 AM

I have yet to find a person who lives in Langford or runs a business there to tell me it's a terrible place.

Know it all.

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:31 AM

Maclean's ranked Langford the top community in BC for livability and the 18th most attractive community in Canada....Victoria ranked 59th

To be honest, I am surprised Victoria even ranked that high.

#54 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:38 AM

I am beginning to think that Stu rigged the election since I was not able to find very many Uvic students that voted for him. 

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#55 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:05 AM

I have yet to find a person who lives in Langford or runs a business there to tell me it's a terrible place.

I don't think many people would call it terrible. And when compared with the rest of Canada, it really is a great place to live. I just think there are a lot of smaller issues that make the #1 ranking questionable.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:33 AM

I'm going to put 50 of aastra's donuts down that you don't live in Langford  :banana:

Know it all.

#57 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:12 AM

I'm going to put 50 of aastra's donuts down that you don't live in Langford  :banana:

Hope you're hungry ;)

#58 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:45 AM

To be honest, I am surprised Victoria even ranked that high.

12 full time PR folks dude. That is a lot of survey clicks every hour!

• Nparker likes this

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:03 PM

Hope you're hungry ;)

Boston Creams and apple fritters, please and thank you.

Know it all.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:46 PM

Langford just blew up the municipal website world. Have a look: https://www.langford.ca/

• Ismo07 and DavidL like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users