Photo

2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2824 replies to this topic

#581 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:30 AM

Bad news.  Trudeau popped out of his hole and saw his shadow.  Six more weeks of vitriol and divisiveness.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:01 AM

O’toole is gone.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#583 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:26 AM

No great loss.
  • m3m likes this

#584 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:42 AM

O’toole is gone.

This is good. We need a strong opposition if we want our system to function properly. Not a meak opposition who is afraid to hurt the ruling party’s feelings.
  • dasmo likes this

#585 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:43 AM

It is likely Pierre Poilievre will become the new leader of the Conservatives. I suspect he’ll be a fairly popular leader.

Attached Images

• ENnqcOCWkAEl6fw.jpg

• Brayvehart likes this

#586 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:43 AM

Bad news. Trudeau popped out of his hole and saw his shadow. Six more weeks of vitriol and divisiveness.

He is indeed the “great divider”, and that started at the start of his becoming PM, not just with the truckers.
  • dasmo likes this

#587 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:53 AM

It is likely Pierre Poilievre will become the new leader of the Conservatives. I suspect he’ll be a fairly popular leader.

Popular? Maybe among the Reform wing of the party. Poilievre is decisive and although he may win the leadership, it will likely cost the party the ability to grow. Lots of Conservative supporters that think he's too far right, that don't like his bullying style, etc. Conservative party has a lot to figure out.

• Brayvehart and JohnsonStBridge like this

#588 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:54 AM

The Tories' downfall began when they stopped being Progressive Conservatives and attempted to become de facto doctrinaire *Conservatives" a la mainstream American Republicans. IMO they'll not recover politically on the national stage until they acknowledge and address that situation. I was raised in a traditional PC family and always voted for the PC's largely because I could not stand Trudeau Senior and, later, especially Jean Chretien. However I haven't voted for these 21st century "Tories" since the first Harper administration.....

Back in the days of the PC party there was ample room for more traditional small-c conservative types as well as Red Tories like Joe Clark and Flora Macdonald.

Today that more socially-inclined wing of the party is dead and there aren't enough "true blue" conservatives in the country, especially among younger voters, to push them over the top. Any younger person I know - our 23 year old daughter being a good example - votes either NDP as in her case, or Liberal. The current iteration of the Conservative Party composed of ex-Canadian Alliance/Reform types simply does not resonate with them in 2022. Equally problematically since there are still lots of us boomer voters around, it does not appeal to older "PC" tories like me....

• Nparker, vortoozo, m3m and 1 other like this

#589 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:55 AM

Motion of No Confidence next?

Arthur Meighen (1926) - loss of confidence 
John Diefenbaker (1963) - loss of confidence as a result of cabinet revolt
Pierre Trudeau (1974) - loss of confidence 
Joe Clark (1979) - loss of confidence 
Paul Martin (2005) - opposition triggered motion
Stephen Harper (2011) - opposition triggered motion as a result of contempt of Parliament. 

#590 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:04 AM

I doubt there will be a motion of no confidence.  Check out the polls.  An election would likely just result in another Liberal Minority.  https://338canada.com/

The only way the Cons stand a chance at victory is if Peter McKay is their leader. 

Edit:  I can also see somebody like Michelle Rempel Garner doing okay. 

Edited by m3m, 02 February 2022 - 11:06 AM.

#591 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:09 AM

Is McKay even interested?

I think that the Cons have to first sort out whether they are social conservatives, or fiscal ones.

After that, choose a leader.

Chong?  Raitt?  Rempel?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#592 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:14 AM

Is McKay even interested?

I think that the Cons have to first sort out whether they are social conservatives, or fiscal ones.

After that, choose a leader.

Chong?  Raitt?  Rempel?

McKay is still paying off his last failed run. Help Peter MacKay pay off debt from leadership race, Stephen Harper urges Conservatives | The Star

#593 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:19 AM

Don't be so sure. The first rats to leave the ship with benefit. The ones left behind will go down with the ship. 

MQaGezo.jpeg

#594 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:27 AM

Peter McKay has zero support in Quebec so that is a non-starter from a Party standpoint. He is also one of the architects of the merger with Reform/Canadian Alliance and there are still plenty of rank and file ex-PC types who remember and won't forgive, especially in light of the fact he reportedly specifically promised *not* to merge the PC's with the Reformers.

#595 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:31 AM

Elections Canada: 205,000 mail-in ballots were not counted

Those ballot kits which were late, cancelled, or marked as lost in the mail, totalled 205,000 and were greater than the margin of victory between Liberal and Conservative candidates nationwide — 190,790 votes.

“We are deeply sorry for any elector who was unable to vote on election day,” said Susan Torosian, executive policy director for Elections Canada.

https://torontosun.c...ere-not-counted

#596 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:07 PM

Those ballot kits which were late, cancelled, or marked as lost in the mail, totalled 205,000 and were greater than the margin of victory between Liberal and Conservative candidates nationwide — 190,790 votes.

“We are deeply sorry for any elector who was unable to vote on election day,” said Susan Torosian, executive policy director for Elections Canada.

https://torontosun.c...ere-not-counted

Fool proof, they called it.

Even in Victoria over 1,000 by-election ballots were not counted. What an awful way to conduct an election.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#597 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:08 PM

"Of the 205,000 uncounted ballots, 90,000 were “returned late and not counted” and another 114,583 were never returned."

• Brayvehart likes this

#598 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:09 PM

^ I suspect many people requested mail in ballots, but then went and voted in person.

• Brayvehart likes this

#599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:09 PM

This is good. We need a strong opposition if we want our system to function properly. Not a meak opposition who is afraid to hurt the ruling party’s feelings.

Yes. He would capitulate too often. He was an odd choice for a leader to begin with. But them Scheer was as well, although he had a bit of a Teflon demeanour that wouldn’t hint at things he may have taken personally.

Know it all.

#600 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:10 PM

Should we remind the audience what our prime minister was doing at the age of 20?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users