2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2828 replies to this topic

#61 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:52 PM

oh, there is an election coming alright...but...not until the Fall!

With a fall election looming, Trudeau, O'Toole and Singh trade barbs in the last Commons sitting

https://news.google....l=CA&ceid=CA:en

...and why a fall election you might ask...

SIX years in office to get a pension...that's way...self serving weasels, every one!

• Wayne likes this

#62 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:10 AM

...i am not alone, apparently...

“With the horrific news out of Saskatchewan, our collective call, again, is for concrete transformative action,” Wilson-Raybould tweeted. “@JustinTrudeau, if you care enough to make things right, stop your selfish jockeying for an election — which no one really wants — and do what you promised in 2018.”

She woke up Thursday morning to a text of the tweet and a comment from Bennett with one word: “Pension?”

The implication from Trudeau’s Minister of Crown-Indigenous relations was that Wilson-Raybould, herself a former regional chief in British Columbia, wasn’t actually interested in concrete action for First Nations, she wanted to secure some money for herself. Members of Parliament first elected in 2015 become eligible for a pension after six years of service in the House of Commons.

With an election expected this fall, possibly before the class of 2015 passes the six-year mark, Bennett was saying Wilson-Raybould wanted to put off an election to qualify for her pension.

Wilson-Raybould posted a screenshot of the text on Twitter where she called Bennett’s comments “racist and misogynistic.”

She’s not wrong.

“Reflects notion that Indigenous peoples are lazy & only want $ Shows disregard, disdain, & disrespect for Indigenous peoples,” Wilson-Raybould tweeted.

#63 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:17 AM

Wilson-Raybould posted a screenshot of the text on Twitter where she called Bennett’s comments “racist and misogynistic.”

She’s not wrong.

“Reflects notion that Indigenous peoples are lazy & only want $ Shows disregard, disdain, & disrespect for Indigenous peoples,” Wilson-Raybould tweeted.

is it racist only to say that to a FN person?  you could question the pension thing of others and that's OK right?

why would FN be protected from the criticism and not others?

#64 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:58 AM

is it racist only to say that to a FN person?  you could question the pension thing of others and that's OK right?

Several MPs would not get a pension if there was an election and they lost their seats. I don't see how this has anything to do with race or gender.

• kingcollar and A Girl is No one like this

#65 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:07 PM

I might call Geoff Young a penny-pinching cheapskate but I wouldn't be as comfortable saying that to Ben Isitt. Insults that conform to a derogatory stereotype always put you on shaky ground.

#66 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:12 PM

is the stereotype that FN often like pensions?

it’s so stupid.

#67 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:39 PM

I might call Geoff Young a penny-pinching cheapskate but I wouldn't be as comfortable saying that to Ben Isitt....

Mostly because it isn't true. He has no issue spending public funds as long as it aligns with his SJW agenda.

#68 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:49 PM

is the stereotype that FN often like pensions?

it’s so stupid.

It's about clamouring for government handouts, not pensions specifcally.

It was an off-colour comment but I don't think it had anti-indigenous intentions. I don't think any smart politician is going to deliberately grab that hot wire.

Edited by Rob Randall, 25 June 2021 - 12:51 PM.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#69 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:18 PM

There is ony one word for this:

PENSION!!    ;-)   (apologies to Carolyn Bennett)

McKenna retiring from politics, creates possible opening for Mark Carney

https://www.ctvnews....arney-1.5487686

Edited by tommy, 27 June 2021 - 02:19 PM.

#70 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,004 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:29 PM

The Green Party will pursue a vote of non-confidence against its leader, Annamie Paul. 

CBC News has obtained a party statement that says the party's governing body will hold a meeting on July 20 to vote on a motion of non-confidence. Interim party president Liana Canton Cusmano read the letter out today to a members' town hall meeting.

The letter says the party's council is moving to sanction Paul for "failing to openly condemn the actions of Noah Zatzman," Paul's former political adviser, who called out party members online who criticized Paul's position on the Middle East.

The move to oust Paul follows a similar attempt more than two weeks ago. On June 15, members of the federal party council instead issued an ultimatum to Paul.

The letter Cusmano read to today's meeting says Paul failed to comply with the terms of that ultimatum and must now face the consequences.

"This vote of non-confidence is important and the most consequential thing that has ever been undertaken at the Green Party of Canada," the letter states. "We do not take this matter or the decision to hold this vote lightly."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...yoffs-1.6085961

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2021 - 02:29 PM.

#71 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:50 AM

Deck chairs/Titanic.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#72 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:57 AM

Deck chairs/Titanic.

Exactly as I have been saying for years about parties and groups based on activism. Eventually they ALWAYS turn on themselves as the motivation was always the fight and never any sustainable ideology. 

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#73 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 12:05 PM

No, the correct term is "circular firing squad".

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 12:13 PM

Politicians of all stripes must accept the fact that taking a "my way or the highway" approach to either side of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict will result in an inevitable self-inflicted wound to your party.You can diplomatically lean one way or the other but it's not a good guys/bad guys situation.

#75 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 04:39 PM

No, the correct term is "circular firing squad".

you mean this?!

Attached Images

• circular.jpg

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 04:46 PM

Ah, yes, the "dome" formation of the RCMP's musical ride. It's beautiful to see in real life, if you ever get the chance.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#77 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:39 PM

^

my dad called it the "polish firing squad"

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:05 PM

Comprised of Canadian cops?

I don’t get it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#79 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:07 PM

Comprised of Canadian cops?

I don’t get it.

explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog...you understand the frog better but now it is dead!

• Bob Fugger, VANRIDERFAN and JimV like this

#80 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 July 2021 - 03:29 PM

Just had Nikki MacDonald to my door. She's running for the Liberals in Laurel Collins riding. She told me she is only going around introducing herself as theres no election being called in the near future (nudge nudge, wink wink) I said it will be called around the 2nd week of August just as the extra $500 are going out to seniors as thats one constituency that sees right through Trudeau...and because the covid funding runs out late in September and theres no way you arent going to cash in on all that free money you've been throwing about.

Had a good chat with her, her pamphlet has zero reference to Trudeau nor a picture of him....I noted this with her and she said she would like people to consider the rep not the leader...fascinating....I told her I am very disappointed in this current LPC as they aren't the centrist party of Martin/Chretien. Also indicated my displeasure at his treatment of the women in the party, that he's a fake feminist and a poor role model of a leader. 

She indicated I'm not the first to say as much and asked how she could earn my vote....I responded that they need to move back to the centre and rein in the spending and stop with all the wokery as its only theatre and to get those fvcking reserves clean drinking water FFS....

• Nparker, grantpalin, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

E2V