2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2812 replies to this topic

#1461 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2022 - 08:39 AM

The CBC took the time to publish a front page story about Kanye West and the growing issue of antisemitism. They focused on Alex Jones and Dave Chappell in their piece, too. Here it is: https://www.cbc.ca/n...dcast-1.6671015

But somehow, they forgot this, which the National Post had to publish:

- https://nationalpost...caust-denialism

So I ask you, as Canadians. Which news piece is more relevant to you, as a Canadian? Which one do you think is the more important one, and which one is the distraction?

Now don’t get me wrong, the Kanye story is relevant to some degree but it’s just the latest ridiculousness from someone who clearly has some issues, obviously.

This isn't really much of a story. Some racist media person attended the same event as a bunch of our leaders. They generally were not aware he would be there (and perhaps didn't even know who he is), and if they had known, would not have gone or would have asked the coordinators to remove him from attending...

So to answer your question, neither 'news' piece is relevant.

Edited by lanforod, 02 December 2022 - 08:40 AM.

• dasmo and Brayvehart like this

#1462 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 08:42 AM

Did you read the article, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1463 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 08:46 AM

I even quoted the important bit, about this very issue. The “had they known” issue.

I’ll re-quote it again:

The event, held on Tuesday, known as International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, was hosted by Toronto-area Liberal MP Salma Zahid, chair of the Canada-Palestine Parliamentary Friendship Group.

Generally, politicians are made aware of who attends these events, especially those events which may have social implications, like this one did. That’s why it’s a serious matter.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1464 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 08:57 AM

How about Freeland and her family history? Her grandfather was a NAZI and she is pretty much second in command here. Considering recent history that’s worthy of more scrutiny. She tried to hide it at first even. That is more important than some celebrity going on an extreme shock alt media interview tour.

#1465 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:03 AM

It’s not her fault and not her choices. It’s an uncomfortable part of her family history, for sure.

But for an MP to host an event, attended by someone with a large platform where anti-semitism appears to be a regular theme, is bad optics. That shouldn’t happen.
  • Hotel Mike likes this

Know it all.

#1466 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:25 AM

Sure but if we are going on a NAZI sympathizer witch hunt cultural revolution style that is much more relevant than being in the same building with a stranger at the same time don’t you think?

Edited by dasmo, 02 December 2022 - 09:26 AM.

#1467 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:32 AM

I am no fan of Ms. Freeland, but I cannot endorse the "sins of the father" philosophy. It just gives credence to the whole settler/colonial nonsense.

• Awaiting Juno and JimV like this

#1468 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:33 AM

I don’t think it’s about being in the same building, but that this individual was invited to an event hosted by an MP of the current government.

Know it all.

#1469 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:35 AM

I am no fan of Ms. Freeland, but I cannot endorse the "sins of the father" philosophy...

As an example, Justin Trudeau has proven to be a terrible Prime Minister, but I attribute this to his own actions, not that of his less-than-admirable father.

#1470 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:43 AM

I am no fan of Ms. Freeland, but I cannot endorse the "sins of the father" philosophy. It just gives credence to the whole settler/colonial nonsense.

Neither am I. I am speaking in opposites. I don't think any of us want a witch hunt or a cultural revolution do we?  

#1471 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:44 AM

Or maybe some do which is why the sarcasm get's lost.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1472 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:38 PM

It’s not her fault and not her choices. It’s an uncomfortable part of her family history, for sure.

But for an MP to host an event, attended by someone with a large platform where anti-semitism appears to be a regular theme, is bad optics. That shouldn’t happen.

Thats about right, its bad optics. A major news story it ain't. Bad optics happens all the time. Yes, I read the article.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1473 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:00 PM

It's different from say someone who brings down martial law in their own country against protestors while condemning foreign governments for doing the same thing.

• dasmo, lanforod and JimV like this

#1474 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 05:20 PM

The CBC took the time to publish a front page story about Kanye West and the growing issue of antisemitism. They focused on Alex Jones and Dave Chappell in their piece, too. Here it is: https://www.cbc.ca/n...dcast-1.6671015

But somehow, they forgot this, which the National Post had to publish:

- https://nationalpost...caust-denialism

So I ask you, as Canadians. Which news piece is more relevant to you, as a Canadian? Which one do you think is the more important one, and which one is the distraction?

Now don’t get me wrong, the Kanye story is relevant to some degree but it’s just the latest ridiculousness from someone who clearly has some issues, obviously.

Could not care less about anything Kanye, though I do love the memes. Dave Chappell is great.
  • dasmo likes this

#1475 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:01 PM

Chappell was funny! https://youtu.be/3YqD_Qeukko
  • Matt R. likes this

#1476 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:20 PM

He seems genuine.

#1477 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:32 AM

Thats about right, its bad optics. A major news story it ain't. Bad optics happens all the time. Yes, I read the article.

To be honest, I’m trying to be very charitable with my choice of words.

Know it all.

#1478 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 11:25 PM

Alberta legislature passes sovereignty act in overnight vote
https://nationalpost...bate-time-limit
  • Nparker likes this

#1479 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 10:48 AM

Time to defeat bill C-11... https://www.taxpayer...mcId_d0f9f1e4c0

• dasmo likes this

#1480 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 01:22 PM

A perfect summary of Trudeau right here. At COP 15 he was interrupted by protesters. He smugly said in Canada we have the right to protest and that in a democracy we don't always agree. Then they arrested them outside.... Also note this wasn't on the TV or in the news or even on youtube. Just that there were protesters. Most mainstream outlets didn't even share his words right after the protest.  I had to find it on TicTok to share it with y'all. (More ammo for Ismo against me) Old journalism is dead. 

https://www.tiktok.c...t=1670620616267

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users