Photo

2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2812 replies to this topic

#1581 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:02 AM

Another bit of "climate crisis" hypocrisy as well.

#1582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:06 AM

Our unelected King’s representative that signs the orders that bypass any shred of democracy we have is also robbing us…

“ Governor General's four-day visit to Germany with 32 guests cost taxpayers $700K
Expenses for the four-day state visit include $103,000 in in-flight catering for the government aircraft's 33 passengers”
https://nationalpost...visit-cost-700k

See, this is where it gets outrageous.

$103,000 for a few hours of flying time. How does this happen? What leads to such outrageous prices? You and I go to the airport cafe, pick up a sandwich and bottled water, probably pay the airport price of about $30 for it, and we're good to go, but since its a long flight, maybe grab a few snacks and another sandwich, say $50 worth (I'm pretending there's no food on the flight in this example).

Go overboard, let's say, and buy $100 worth of snacks and food. That's $3,300 for 33 people. Multiply it twice for the return leg, and you're at $6,600. But the taxpayer was billed 16x that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1583 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:15 AM

Because they are better than us
  • Matt R. likes this

#1584 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:19 AM

All the NDP has to do is stop propping up a government they appear to not like very much. 

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1585 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:19 AM

See the news about Macron taking off his $80,000 watch u see the table during an interview about his pension reforms….

#1586 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:20 AM

Clown World: 

Two Michaels to be guests at Biden-Trudeau dinner
Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor will also attend Biden's speech to Parliament

https://nationalpost...-trudeau-dinner

Know it all.

#1587 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:23 AM

See the news about Macron taking off his $80,000 watch u see the table during an interview about his pension reforms….

He can take a watch off blindfolded!

Know it all.

#1588 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:24 AM

To the link above:

Biden’s trip to Ottawa also comes at an awkward time for Trudeau, who is facing a scandal over alleged Chinese interference in the last two Canadian elections that returned his Liberals to power. A Toronto-area MP resigned from the governing party’s caucus on Wednesday as a result.

Yes, that MP resigned, because he was allegedly advising the Chinese to keep the two Michaels behind bars for longer.

Know it all.

#1589 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:27 AM

To the link above:

Yes, that MP resigned, because he was allegedly advising the Chinese to keep the two Michaels behind bars for longer.

Good for the narrative…

Clown World is a lot like WWE. You can’t tell who believes it’s real or not.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1590 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:31 AM

The Prime Minister’s Office says Justin Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, stayed in a $6,000 per night hotel suite while attending the funeral for Queen Elizabeth II.

In a statement, the Prime Minister’s Office says hotel prices surged significantly ahead of the funeral, and many London hotels were sold out as 500 heads of state and their delegations descended on the city.

The hotel’s website currently lists the suite at 5,154 British pounds per night, higher than the 4,800 pounds the government was charged in September.

A night in the river suite next month would come out to more than $8,000 at the current exchange rate.

https://nationalpost...eth-iis-funeral

Know it all.

#1591 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:38 AM

All the NDP has to do is stop propping up a government they appear to not like very much. 

Jagmeet Singh will never give up the greatest power he will ever have politically. 

#1592 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:38 AM

"When I'm Prime Minister..." will be one of the funniest moments in the history of the House, indeed.

Know it all.

#1593 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:15 AM

See, this is where it gets outrageous.

$103,000 for a few hours of flying time. How does this happen? What leads to such outrageous prices? You and I go to the airport cafe, pick up a sandwich and bottled water, probably pay the airport price of about $30 for it, and we're good to go, but since its a long flight, maybe grab a few snacks and another sandwich, say $50 worth (I'm pretending there's no food on the flight in this example).

Go overboard, let's say, and buy $100 worth of snacks and food. That's $3,300 for 33 people. Multiply it twice for the return leg, and you're at $6,600. But the taxpayer was billed 16x that.

Although you and I may go to an airport cafe you and I also don't have an assigned RCMP Protection Detail security team; like the PM the GG most certainly does, 7x24,  including when (s)he travels outside the country, and that budget item as you would imagine doesn't come cheap.

#1594 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:19 AM

Although you and I may go to an airport cafe you and I also don't have an assigned RCMP Protection Detail security team; like the PM the GG most certainly does, 7x24,  including when (s)he travels outside the country, and that budget item as you would imagine doesn't come cheap.

But they ate/drank $3,300 each on a 5-hour flight.

#1595 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

Although you and I may go to an airport cafe you and I also don't have an assigned RCMP Protection Detail security team; like the PM the GG most certainly does, 7x24, including when (s)he travels outside the country, and that budget item as you would imagine doesn't come cheap.

They wouldn’t need such a security team if they didn’t use our money to stay in $6000/night hotels….
  • Nparker and LJ like this

#1596 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:30 AM

We don’t need appointed representatives of the king that enable dictatorial powers for our country and provinces to operate. Fire them. Fire the monarchy and think of the money we save.

#1597 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:35 AM

...Fire the monarchy and think of the money we save.

Alas, I fear that money would just be wasted on other political boondoggles.  :(

#1598 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:41 AM

Sure but the mechanics of these monarchical representatives enables such expenditures. It might be mor difficult if anything over $100,000 required parliamentary approval.

But I get the nihilism…

#1599 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:44 AM

...But I get the nihilism…

Indeed. I have lost all hope in the system ever getting better.

#1600 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:51 AM

I recommend reading the essay “the power of the powerless”.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users