Photo

2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2824 replies to this topic

#441 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:36 AM

Here’s an idea for electoral reform.  Each ballot has two columns, with all the candidates listed in each one.  In one column you vote “for” a candidate, in the other you vote “against” one.  An “against” vote cancels out a “for.”  In the final tally the candidate with the most “for” votes wins.

It would be deeply satisfying to be able to literally vote against someone, which is what most people actually want to do.  The main candidates would probably tend to cancel each other out, favouring third parties.  A drawback (shared by proportional rep systems), but perhaps no worse than the existing system where a majority of the voters generally hate the winning candidate.  And it would be fun :-)

#442 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:38 AM

wouldn’t the incumbent almost always lose? voters would almost always vote their “against” for the sitting member.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2021 - 06:39 AM.

#443 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:22 AM

wouldn’t the incumbent almost always lose? voters would almost always vote their “against” for the sitting member.

Yes, that’s the beauty of the system.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#444 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:45 AM

Hey Mike. My own door-knocking has had me in Fairfield, two parts of Oak Bay, UVic area. We had many teams of volunteer canvassers. Not every door can be knocked on, obviously, but I'm pretty sure Nikki's team has been to more doors than any other candidate. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#445 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:36 PM

^I'm sure Nikki is a fine and worthy candidate, it's just she's a Liberal.

• Nparker, lanforod and Awaiting Juno like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#446 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:25 PM

It’s not even just that she is a Liberal.. she’s a Liberal under Trudeau….
  • Wayne and Awaiting Juno like this

#447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:03 AM

Hey Mike. My own door-knocking has had me in Fairfield, two parts of Oak Bay, UVic area. We had many teams of volunteer canvassers. Not every door can be knocked on, obviously, but I'm pretty sure Nikki's team has been to more doors than any other candidate.

Thanks!

It just feels like there’s less on-the-ground engagement this year. Nobody has dropped by out where I live in ESS, and mum has only had one visit, with other pamphlets dropped off via Canada Post and not volunteers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:46 AM

Not a lot of positivity on Twitter on a post from Collins thanking Lore for her endorsement: https://twitter.com/...2854066177?s=21

One person called them the silent duo, which is one way to put it. Neither of the politicians have really addressed the crime and street issues in their respective ridings.
  • A Girl is No one and Vicrazy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:52 AM

Bernie Sanders believes access to medication is our biggest problem. Mr. Sanders, we don’t even have access to doctors.

Canada goes to the polls Monday.

There's one party that stood up for working people in the pandemic.

One leader who has the courage to make the wealthy pay their fair share so everyone gets the medication they need.

That's why I support the @NDP and @theJagmeetSingh.

https://twitter.com/...2159593474?s=21

Know it all.

#450 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:25 AM

we have 20% less doctors per capita than the USA:

https://en.wikipedia...r_of_physicians

but we visit 6.8 tmes per year:

https://www.statista...ita-by-country/

is the USA it's only 4x.

https://www.forbes.c...sh=48c83a10e347

our "free" medical system leads to abuse.  we should have user fees for those that can afford it, in order to curb superfluous use.

#451 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:45 AM

Maybe we’d visit less if we didn’t have to visit a doctor with only one issue per visit.
  • Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

Know it all.

#452 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:56 AM

Bernie Sanders believes access to medication is our biggest problem. Mr. Sanders, we don’t even have access to doctors.

https://twitter.com/...2159593474?s=21

Dont tell him that! His whole career has been built on selling the Canadian health care system to Americans (which I still prefer over the American one- but maybe because I’ve never been sick!).

#453 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:20 AM

:banana:  It’s election day!   :banana:

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#454 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

:banana:

#455 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

:banana:

#456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:39 AM

Dont tell him that! His whole career has been built on selling the Canadian health care system to Americans (which I still prefer over the American one- but maybe because I’ve never been sick!).

Also, very few Canadians that do not reside there for part of the year have ever experienced the US health care system, in any capacity, to have a sense of how they differ.

Know it all.

#457 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:42 AM

IMG_3998.jpg

Know it all.

#458 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:49 AM

...mum has only had one visit, with other pamphlets dropped off via Canada Post...

Had a ****load of election pamphlets shoved into my mailbox this week; 60% of which were from the Green Party. You gotta love the irony of that.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#459 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:02 AM

Also, very few Canadians that do not reside there for part of the year have ever experienced the US health care system, in any capacity, to have a sense of how they differ.

They have different levels of care down there we only have one.

#460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:36 AM

Jesus Christ.

Trudeau in blackface row (again)

https://www.spectato...face-row-again-

trudeau.jpeg

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users