2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2828 replies to this topic

#1081 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:57 AM

Trudeau confirms tentative agreement with NDP to keep Liberals in power until 2025

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirms a tentative agreement has been reached that will see the NDP prop up the minority Liberal government on confidence votes until 2025.

Trudeau says the new deal will provide Canadians with stability and give his government the opportunity to "get things done."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2022 - 05:57 AM.

#1082 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 March 2022 - 06:45 AM

Kinsella has such a way with words "The Axis of Weasels Deal"

KINSELLA: Breaking down the motive for this undemocratic backroom deal | Toronto Sun

The legacy of Jack Layton is completely unraveled. from 103 seats in 2011 to 25 seats 10 years later. And Singh acts like he's doing a great job. Now it looks like he's just trying to keep his job to vest his pension.  

• Nparker likes this

#1083 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2022 - 06:56 AM

Can't say I'm a liberal flag waving supporter of Trudeau, but the conservatives are a right mess right now and the last thing we need is an election.  This is probably a good move in the grand scheme of things.

• AllseeingEye, Matt R., vortoozo and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1084 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:00 AM

This action is Alberta is crazy.  When the party itself is so incompetent how can they run a province?

“(There are) 13,718 members registered for our (special general meeting) by the early-bird deadline and registration is still open with three weeks to go," wrote van Vugt.

“It's not unreasonable to predict that we could get as high as 20,000 people.”

Van Vugt said work is being done to finalize registration lists and figure out logistics. Members are to cast their ballots in person between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre in Red Deer, Alta.

Sources told The Canadian Press that the UCP committee in charge of the vote was to meet Monday to consider whether to allow voting over three days, each day in a different city: Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary.

Any such change would have to be put to the full party executive board for ratification.

Dave Prisco, UCP communications director, said in a statement that there was no executive meeting Monday, but declined to comment on a possible move to expanded voting.

“I suspect we’ll have more details on logistics later this week.”

https://edmonton.ctv...lates-1.5827697

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2022 - 07:03 AM.

#1085 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:30 AM

....the last thing we need is an election...

But last fall was a great time to have an election?

• dasmo likes this

#1086 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:18 AM

Confidence and Supply agreements are not only common here and abroad - Britain, New Zealand, Ireland and even Japan and India among others - have all had them in the past, or their version of it in the case of Japan, as have several provinces here at home; the concept is an accepted entrenched part of the Westminster system of parliamentary democracy.

I'm not a JT fan particularly, nor have I ever voted NDP federally and I'm even less of a fan of some of Singh's MP's (cough, Niki Ashton, cough, cough), however unlike some of the absurd and rubbish posts made by many Canadians especially here in BC on social media, there is nothing illegal or underhanded about such agreements. And NO the WEF nor the Bilderberg Group nor the Masons are behind this move waving their "invisible hand" controlling and orchestrating political and economic events. Any one who ever attended a meeting will know that masons have trouble agreeing on next year's budget for our own lodge, never mind devoting any thought to global control.........

Some of the ludicrous comments on Facebook especially are quite depressing - I hate it especially when Canadians point to "dumb Americans" because rest very assured for every "dumb" American he or she most certainly has their 'dumb' Canadian equivalent, and perhaps then some. Honestly reading some of nonsensical posts on FB in the local Groups re: this agreement this morning, one just has to wonder whether some of these people ever made it beyond grade 4. There is one individual in particular on a local group who fumed and thundered that this "unholy Liberal-NDP coalition" will lead to a Canadian Civil War. Well for starters a coalition is a very different animal than what Trudeau and Singh have entered into. That BTW is Poli Sci 101. And I recognised the poster, the same guy who once insisted that the covid vaccines were full of Borg nano-probes designed by the Global Elite to ensure a docile, compliant population. He didn't like it very much when I pointed out to him at the time that "the Borg" don't actually exist and are merely part of a Hollywood fantasy construct about a fictional universe called "Star Trek". Which, I hastened to point out for his edification, also doesn't exist.

Of course whether politically the confidence-supply agreement is a wise move is another question altogether. From what I've heard and read particularly in the last day or so there is some informed speculation - Global TV talked to it just this morning - that Trudeau apparently does not intend to remain as party leader beyond 2025 in any case. Probably not a bad idea from a Liberal party perspective if they have any wish to be elected again any time soon beyond that point; if his welcome hasn't been worn out by now one has to think by 2025 he'll be even less loved by the masses. At which point I'm sure he won't care either way coming from a privileged background, not to mention the extremely generous fully indexed pension that awaits him.

• sebberry and John M. like this

#1087 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:19 AM

But last fall was a great time to have an election?

Nope.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1088 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:39 AM

The NDP has supported the Liberals for the past 5 years so I don't see why there was a need to act now. The loser, in my opinion, is Singh and the NDP as they will be viewed as giving up their principles in order to get certainty on their pensions.

#1089 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:03 AM

Support without recognition. I guess Singh said give us credit, or don't expect us to prop up your government.

Now the real question will be, who gets the blame when things go sideways?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1090 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:09 AM

...the loser, in my opinion, is Singh and the NDP as they will be viewed as giving up their principles in order to get certainty on their pensions.

The losers are the NDP voters who believed they were not voting for the Liberals.

• spanky123 and dasmo like this

#1091 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 10:22 AM

Can't say I'm a liberal flag waving supporter of Trudeau, but the conservatives are a right mess right now and the last thing we need is an election.  This is probably a good move in the grand scheme of things.

The next election will be the Cons to lose. Runaway inflation and sky high interest rates will doom the Liberals and Cons will win by default. The NDP isn't doing itself any favours by hitching their wagon to the Libs.

#1092 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 10:26 AM

The losers are the NDP voters who believed they were not voting for the Liberals.

no thinking person votes for the ndp hoping they will form government...they are fully aware that the best possible outcome for them is exactly this...squeezing some concessions on social issues out of the liberals

to any traditional supporter of the ndp (excepting the stupid and naive wokesters) this is a success

• JimV likes this

#1093 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:07 AM

no thinking person votes for the ndp hoping they will form government...they are fully aware that the best possible outcome for them is exactly this...squeezing some concessions on social issues out of the liberals

to any traditional supporter of the ndp (excepting the stupid and naive wokesters) this is a success

This is the perfect description of the state of democracy today.... 

• Nparker likes this

#1094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:50 PM

What was the Layton era, then?

And the Greens said the same thing about their role with the BC NDP, until their leader walked away in disgust and disdain for what his party had become.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1095 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:48 PM

What was the Layton era, then?

And the Greens said the same thing about their role with the BC NDP, until their leader walked away in disgust and disdain for what his party had become.

the "layton era" - you mean that one time when quebeckers were so pissed at the bloc and liberals that they voted in 60 ndp members as opposed to the 1 they had before - that was just dumb luck!

i thought  i had covered the grenns with my " (excepting the stupid and naive wokesters) " reference above  ;-)

Attached Images

• Screenshot from 2022-03-22 15-00-04.png

• Mike K. likes this

#1096 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:51 PM

That election was funny. Some NDP candidates that won in Quebec did not campaign. IIRC one was on vacation in the US when she learned she was to be an MP.

#1097 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:18 PM

That election was funny. Some NDP candidates that won in Quebec did not campaign. IIRC one was on vacation in the US when she learned she was to be an MP.

i am always astonished that whenever the ndp actually come to a position of power they always believe it is the result of something they did or said - rather than the obvious truth that it was simply an overreaction by the public to a government they really had a distaste for;

the peterson liberals called an early election - there was no serious conservative alternative at the time and so - bob rae and the ndp picked up the pieces. they had their butts handed to them the next election cycle

the same was true of the 2011 federal election discussed above and, they had their butts handed to them the next election cycle

again in alberta in 2015 - the tories pissed of the electorate and rachel notley and the ndp were the only functional choice. they had their butts handed to them the next election cycle

bc is the only exception to this rule and i am surprised that the party never seems to get it!

#1098 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:30 PM

This puts Trudeau solidly in the big chair for three more years, and at the end of those three years (if everything works as it should) Jean Charest will be Prime Minister of Canada.

• Matt R. likes this

#1099 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:50 PM

Charest will never be the CPC leader let alone PM.  Yesterday.

#1100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:56 AM

This thread needs a title update.

Carson Jerema: Buckle up for the Jagmeet Singh budget

Ottawa grows ambitions to micromanage every area of Canadian life

https://nationalpost...lation_with_ads

The budget is expected to include a whole slate of costly and expansive NDP priorities that will combine with the Liberals’ own pricey policies to create not just big government, but mammoth government: a government that is not just big in terms of how much it spends, but in its ambition to federalize every area of Canadian life.

Take dental care, which Singh expects a “down payment” on; or the Liberals’ national daycare plan, which the NDP leader wants enshrined into law; or forcing carmakers to build electric vehicles. All represent Ottawa’s reach into what would have either been provincial responsibility, or completely outside government control.

Ten-dollar-a-day daycare might sound appealing, but the result for many families will be a publicly funded waiting list, as it is for many in Quebec already. The outcomes don’t matter to the government as much as the apparent belief that because caring for children is “important,” it can’t be left to the provinces, or, heaven forbid, the independent decisions of parents and daycare providers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2022 - 04:57 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users